Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tps adjustment/calibration help Evo9

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tps adjustment/calibration help Evo9

newbie question about tps adjustment, I dont have evoscan but i use a universal obd2 scantool, my tps reads 0% at idle, i also noticed that my BISS screw insnt sdcrewed all the way in, and my idle sometimes drops to around 500 - 600 rpm and stays there, sometimes it recovers and goes back up to around 900 and sometimes it stays stuck unless i bleep the throttle slightly for it to get back to 900. btw, my tps and iacv are brandnew oe parts just installed last month. thinking that this problem would go away. now my question is,

1. do i need evoscan to read the idle % properly or would the obd2 scantool work just fine when i will try to adjust the tps

2. Do i screw the Biss screw all the way in before adjusting the tps

3. would a retune wherein we park the iacv properly solve this issue as well.

thanks for the help.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kamote2000
newbie question about tps adjustment, I dont have evoscan but i use a universal obd2 scantool, my tps reads 0% at idle, i also noticed that my BISS screw insnt sdcrewed all the way in, and my idle sometimes drops to around 500 - 600 rpm and stays there, sometimes it recovers and goes back up to around 900 and sometimes it stays stuck unless i bleep the throttle slightly for it to get back to 900. btw, my tps and iacv are brandnew oe parts just installed last month. thinking that this problem would go away. now my question is,

1. do i need evoscan to read the idle % properly or would the obd2 scantool work just fine when i will try to adjust the tps

2. Do i screw the Biss screw all the way in before adjusting the tps

3. would a retune wherein we park the iacv properly solve this issue as well.

thanks for the help.
As a general FYI... messing with the BISS screw often leads to more trouble. If the vehicle was idling well with a good IACV, theoretically, if you install another new one... it should idle just as well.

Regarding the scanner vs. tactrix. I'm not certain on that, because I don't know the programming behind each tool. Logic would tell me that you could use either, but the service manuals suggest a laptop.

A "retune" isn't really necessary. But you should be able to tune the car with the right equipment and essentially get the idle dead on.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 09:41 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
to set the biss screw you would use a program like evoscan and the "Speed Adj. Screw Mode" under actuators . Your car might stall or start idling really low. Then you loosen up the biss screw until the car is idling at the correct RPM. Then disable the mode in evoscan and you are done. You dont really want to mess with the Throttle itself except to make sure there isnt too much tension on the throttle cable that is possible holding the throttle open a bit. With your reading of 0% i dont think that would be the case though. I believe mine reads ~5% with the throttle fully closed.