Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The EVO is out of commission for a while

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The EVO is out of commission for a while

Well for those that don't know, the EVO met with an unfortunate fate...broken ring land on cylinder one. It was putting out around 380whp (according to VD) at the time that it died. I shipped it out to Evolution Dynamics in Dallas for the repairs. I've been going to Kevin D since the first EVO waaayyyy back in 2006. The motor has to be rebuilt to the tune of $5600, but will be able to hold up to 600whp when it's done. That said, the built 6 speed I have in it is only good for 450-500whp or so, so I'm not getting greedy. Plans are to just max out the current mods, and stock turbo and try to shoot for 415-450whp (if I can get it that high).

Now here comes the funny part. I sold my 335 around a year ago, so It's just been me and the EVO living the single car family life. It's been wonderful, until this happened. I was trying hard to remain a single car family, so my parents let me use their extra vehicle, my mom's 2003 Honda Element with roughly 65k miles on it. It was still in showroom condition. My car died the saturday night after new years, and got shipped out the following friday. I got my mom's car the same day. That sunday night on my way home from walk-ons on burbank, a deer decided that this world was just too cruel to live in any longer. He waited until I was almost past, and wouldn't have time to stop and then dove out directly into my path middle hooves to the world screaming "**** the police!!!" Well, I hit the bastard doing about 35-40ish. He proceeded to slide about 30 feet, got some pretty good road rash, then I guess being that close to death made him remember the joys of being alive. He stood up, thanked me for the lesson by flipping me off one more time, then pranced away into the woods. I was able to drive the car home front end hanging, and fender flapping in the wind. That made the fact that today they decided to total it all the more shocking.

So without a car to drive, I was forced into the rental car business. I found the cheapest weekly rates at Hertz, and reserved a 2013 Ford Focus. Naturally when I showed up they set me up in the exact car I asked for. A brand spanking new 2014 doo doo brown Hyundai Elantra that somehow smelled like two hobos had sex in it while frying eggs. Now I know what you're thinking, "Where the **** did the hobos plug in a hot plate?" I don't know, but they obviously found a way. Resourceful bunch, I'll give them that.

Scrambling to find something that didn't smell like post-hobo-sex brunch, I had to find another car to drive until the EVO gets back. The estimate on the time due to the machine shop is 2-4 months. Renting a car per month can run anywhere from $700-800 so the best idea right now was to buy another car. I had found the perfect car, but after negotiating the price, and getting the financing secured, the dealership decided to sell it right out from under me because they hadn't met their "We are huge dicks" quota for 2013 and wanted to make sure they came out of the gate running in 2014. I applaud the commitment to their craft. We should all be so dedicated.

Anywho, I did manage to find a car that I think will be perfect for my needs. It's this pretty gray thing right here.

2005 S2000. 70,188 miles, clean carfax, full service history from the 2 owners who each put less than 8000 miles a year on the car. It will be on its way here from the dealership in Ohio on Monday. Hopefully I'll get it by the middle of next week. The first mod has already been ordered. Clarion CZ302 to replace the factory deck because I gotta have my bluetooth. I have a Clarion CZ500 in the EVO for the same reason. The only other planned mods will be window tint, and Backyard Special low seat rails because at 6'4" 215lbs, the S2000 wasn't exactly designed with me in mind. Thankfully the AP2's are big enough for me to squeeze into, and slide out of in a less than dignified manner.

That was my post for 2014. See you guys next year.

Last edited by ODUB; Jan 25, 2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice s2k
Old Jan 25, 2014, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
s2k ftw. I have thought so much of getting one of these when I sell my evo. Ive heard so many good things about them and how fun they are to drive!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What a drag-- it sucks to start the year that way. Kudos on the story and writing style, for once it was enjoyable to read aside from the outcome (deer/motor) was entertaining. Kevin D will hook you up. Nice ride you purchased-- now did you settle with mom on the Honda? lol.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
well written post

welcome to the evo and s2000 club, i just picked one up the beginning of december although an AP1 with high mile chassis/low mile motor
Old Jan 25, 2014, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know its closed minded but I can't help but think of Suki when I see a S2000 and that movie is like 10 years old lol. Nice ride though none the less and GL with your build.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

I've always wanted an s2k too besides the evo! do IT!!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
I could never drive a evo with a sunroof never mind a convertible lol but everyone has they'r own cup of tea
Old Jan 25, 2014, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That Hobo orgy in a car situation is called a "soup kitchen" fyi.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Nice car!! Those things handle sweet right from the factory , there also pretty quick but you got to rev the **** out of them. What did you pay for it?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meckert
What a drag-- it sucks to start the year that way. Kudos on the story and writing style, for once it was enjoyable to read aside from the outcome (deer/motor) was entertaining. Kevin D will hook you up. Nice ride you purchased-- now did you settle with mom on the Honda? lol.
Well the insurance company is cutting her a check for 10k for the car, so it's not all bad.

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
well written post

welcome to the evo and s2000 club, i just picked one up the beginning of december although an AP1 with high mile chassis/low mile motor
Nice. I always liked the AP1's too, but I can't fit in them anyway.

Originally Posted by blkmambaVENOM
I could never drive a evo with a sunroof never mind a convertible lol but everyone has they'r own cup of tea
My EVO's an MR, so no sunroof. Also, I tend to pick my cars by driving feel, and whether I can autocross/road race them or not. You can't really beat the EVO and S2k for that. Lord knows I didn't sell my BMW and keep my EVO because the EVO was prettier.

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
Nice car!! Those things handle sweet right from the factory , there also pretty quick but you got to rev the **** out of them. What did you pay for it?
Got the S2k for 17,900 plus 400 to ship it from Ohio to Louisiana. Not the best deal by any means, but for the condition the book value on the car is around 19, so I did okay. I was all set to buy an 08 with 62k miles, clean carfax, full service history AND Honda extended warranty till 100k miles for 18950 shipped from Texas, but they sold the car right out from under me. I was pretty pissed, and had to find something fast. This was the only clean one I could find anywhere that was worth the price, and I can't keep spending 140 a week on a rental, so I had to jump on it before someone else got me again.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
Nice. I always liked the AP1's too, but I can't fit in them anyway.
are the ap2's really much bigger? my goal was to get a car for under 10k since i was putting 1000 miles a weekend on the evo to go to/from the track and then not wanting to drive it other than that to keep miles down.

im 6 feet tall 240. its a tight fit but not uncomfortable...much better than a miata

have you found an actualy source for the BYS rails? i looked but didnt find much these days.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That was one the most entertaining posts I've read in a while. Sounds like you are due for some good car karma soon.

I would love to get a S2K but its basically a motorcycle on 4 wheels, and I love motorcycles more.

Thats a good daily driver.

On a side note. I noticed you are from Louisiana, do you know what happened to RockmanX? I know you aren't the same kind of people but homeboy dropped off the face of the planet.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

<I know you aren't the same kind of people>

What's that supposed to mean?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Sorry to hear & nice car man

Quick Reply: The EVO is out of commission for a while