Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Coolant Temp Gauge Wont Rise

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2014, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe

This is beyond frustrating. I love working on my car but s**t like this really gets to me

I love working on cars as well, but this aint nothing. Try diagnosing a German car.

If its easier, you can pm me and Ill give you my number so you can text me.

Last edited by TommiM; Jan 26, 2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM
I love working on cars as well, but this aint nothing. Try diagnosing a German car.

If its easier, you can pm me and Ill give you my number so you can text me.
Taking you up on that, thanks PM sent
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:23 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Its not that its dropping out of the blue though. This happened after I just finished up installing a new turbo. Because a couple coolant lines were off to go to the turbo and the radiator had been removed I needed to rebleed the system and purge it of air (something I have done countless times now)

Given that the temp isnt rising this is why Im convinced its a simple air pocket and not something mechanical.
It literally takes 2 minutes tops to check the connector to the temp sensor, and THEN you can cross it off the list. You cant just assume something is working properly without checking it. This is how troubleshooting works, you actually verify something is working properly before you cross it off as a potential problem. Bleeding air out of an engine is super simple Unless you are completely inept i dont see how you could have repeated this procedure so many times and still have this air pocket stopping your sensor from working. You have tried it so many times isnt it time to cross that off your list?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When this was happening to me it turned out to be a droplet of water in the actual connector of the temp sending unit. I removed it and blew it out, then replaced the sensor anyway because its like 15 years old now. Problem solved
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MyronGainz
When this was happening to me it turned out to be a droplet of water in the actual connector of the temp sending unit. I removed it and blew it out, then replaced the sensor anyway because its like 15 years old now. Problem solved
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
It literally takes 2 minutes tops to check the connector to the temp sensor, and THEN you can cross it off the list. You cant just assume something is working properly without checking it. This is how troubleshooting works, you actually verify something is working properly before you cross it off as a potential problem. Bleeding air out of an engine is super simple Unless you are completely inept i dont see how you could have repeated this procedure so many times and still have this air pocket stopping your sensor from working. You have tried it so many times isnt it time to cross that off your list?
While I appreciate the feedback, what I am saying that if it were a sensor issue then how can you explain that it would start to go up and then drop?

I just undid the connection and it is in perfect shape. I just find it so hard to believe that the sensor just decided to s**t the bed at the same time that I did this whole procedure.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

So ive since acquired a pressure tester did that whole thing and it started to rise and then now the gauge is back on the bottom again. This doesnt make any sense...

I just pulled the thermostat and there is plenty of coolant in there. The sensor is submersed is coolant actually. One would think that if I turned the key to the 2nd position it would read some heat on the gauge.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks

its a relatively standard procedure BUT as with anything with cars, sometimes they can get finicky. I have seen a few times situations like this where the air pockets just don't want to bleed. S*&t happens.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I appreciate the feedback, what I am saying that if it were a sensor issue then how can you explain that it would start to go up and then drop?
Well, mine would go up normally when the car was warming up. But randomly during any kind of driving at operating temperature, the gauge would just go straight down to cold and stay pegged there lol
Old Jan 26, 2014, 02:16 PM

I just undid the connection and it is in perfect shape. I just find it so hard to believe that the sensor just decided to s**t the bed at the same time that I did this whole procedure.
Electronics dont just have to fail outright. They can work then stop, then start working again. Contacts corrode and thermal breaks can cause all kinds of weird **** to happen. Take some sand paper, or scotchbright and clean the contacts. If you have it, apply some dielectric grease and plug it back together. If thats a no go you are going to have to bust out a multi-meter and do some electrical testing.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 02:28 PM

If you have access to an OBD2 scanner of some type, or better yet evoscan, you could pull the temp that the ECU is reading. If that looks right it would pretty much narrow it down to your gauge cluster. If the ECU isnt seeing any temperature then its going to be sensor/wiring harness related.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

So after repeated attempts at bleeding the system using various different techniques I still failed.

Sooooo, I ended up pulling off the thermostat and checking out that area. It was full of coolant and I saw both sensors submersed in coolant. Since it was still hot I went back over to the car put the key in and turned it two clicks to see if it would record the temp then and it was nogo.

I then pulled off the connector on the front sprayed MAF cleaner on it then blew it off with compressed air sanded the terminal put it back on. Checked the temp again ans it started to go up.

So after all of this it ended up being the sensor and my best guess as to how it got gunked up is that one of the coolant lines to the turbo sits right above it so when I pulled it off coolant must have gotten all over it and interrupted the connection.

Lessons learned here:

-Dont dismiss things until proven otherwise

-Not everything has to make sense

-Check the basics

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I guess I was a little stubborn to think that the sensor had crapped out on me. While that may have been true in this case it wasnt working properly as a result of something that I did so it all sort of comes together. I guess I got a little too hung up as I convinced myself that there is noway it could be the sensor when it reality it sorta was the sensor.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 04:42 PM

Glad you got it taken care of! Its all a good learning experience. Gluck and enjoy your evo.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Glad you listened to myself and Biggiesacks as it has obviously happened to both of us before... glad it is working, i know it was frustrating trying to figure out my issue as it happened out of the blue as well.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys. Yeah it was one of those things that didnt make sense as to why the sensor would get gunked up or go bad at that exact time.

After further investigation I've determined that when I removed one of the coolant lines going to the turbo I forget if it was the feed or the return but anyway I think it leaked right onto the sensor causing it to not get a good reading.

I didnt realize but there are actually two sensors that go into the thermostat housing. The one on the front is for the gauge and the one on the back is for the ecu. Had I known that before I would have pulled out my laptop and got a coolant temp reading to see if it was indeed an air bubble. I assumed there was only one sensor in there on the back as that is the one I removed to check originally and it seemed fine.

Anyway, the car is back together and seems to be fine now. Im glad I've got a drivable vehicle but a little bummed that I didnt get to do any tuning today.

Oh btw one of you mentioned using some dielectic grease on the connection. I actually meant to but then completely forgot. I guess if it aint broke dont fix it but I wonder if by using that itll help keep the connection good and sealed from her on out.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

crazy stuff, well glad you got it all sorted out

Quick Reply: Coolant Temp Gauge Wont Rise