Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Looking for opinions on tune

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2014, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for opinions on tune

I'm getting tuned Tuesday and I'm leaning towards getting setup on speed density. This is not a SD vs MAF thread so let's not turn it into that, just looking for opinions. Based on my mods, which I'll include at the end, would you stick to MAF or is the supposed smoothness and better driveability on SD worth it? Thanks in advance.

Stock 05 turbo, gsc s2 cams, walbro 255, stock injectors, ets intercooler with upper+lowering short route piping, springs and retainers, ets intake, aem wideband and truboost, buschur racing straight TBE exhaust(no cat, no muffler, no restrictions.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thats up to you

Based on the research I did its not very beneficial but im looking to clean up the engine a bit and the car suppose to run smoother my maf setup seems to be delayed in response causing knock entering boost, and stalls
Old Jan 26, 2014, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steven121
Thats up to you

Based on the research I did its not very beneficial but im looking to clean up the engine a bit and the car suppose to run smoother my maf setup seems to be delayed in response causing knock entering boost, and stalls
Right. I figure it would look cleaner and it would help my ugly idle and jerkiness, having s2 cams doesn't help. I might aswell get it done now than later since I'm going to only continue modding.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Message Chris from Pure Drive Performance. He's an excellent tuner for SD.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaonashi
Message Chris from Pure Drive Performance. He's an excellent tuner for SD.
Yeah he's a great guy, I've messages with him before. I'm going to Moore Automotive, they do great work and I want to watch my car get dynoed etc.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

MAF .... no question .. no need for SD till your well up from where you are going to be.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Stop&TurnFreak
MAF .... no question .. no need for SD till your well up from where you are going to be.
I know I won't see any power difference or minimal difference, I was leaning towards SD more for driveability.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
I know I won't see any power difference or minimal difference, I was leaning towards SD more for driveability.
If tuned correctly and as smooth as I have seen on a tcompusa video I would just do it and be done with it.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:29 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
This is probably something you should discuss with your tuner. Its his skill and experience that will dictate the quality of the end results either way.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
This is probably something you should discuss with your tuner. Its his skill and experience that will dictate the quality of the end results either way.
My tuner is very capable and knows what he's doing. I was mainly looking for opinions on it being worth it or not at this level, again my reason for going that route has nothing to do with the minimal power gain, I would just love to have an evo that doesn't have low speed jerk and on/off throttle jerk. I'm going to just do it and get it out of the way before bigger mods come into play.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 03:09 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
My tuner is very capable and knows what he's doing. I was mainly looking for opinions on it being worth it or not at this level, again my reason for going that route has nothing to do with the minimal power gain, I would just love to have an evo that doesn't have low speed jerk and on/off throttle jerk. I'm going to just do it and get it out of the way before bigger mods come into play.
Reason I said talk to your tuner, is because he is the one that will be best able to set your expectation of what the end results will achieve. This would be based on his previous experience tuning different setups and what he was able to achieve.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Reason I said talk to your tuner, is because he is the one that will be best able to set your expectation of what the end results will achieve. This would be based on his previous experience tuning different setups and what he was able to achieve.
Very true. I guess I'll just find out tomorrow. Might hold off until larger injectors, etc.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Reason I won't be going SD is that I don't want to sit and warm up the car so that it's drive-able. I want to be able to leave within 30 seconds of starting the car, not 2-5 minutes
Old Jan 27, 2014, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
Reason I won't be going SD is that I don't want to sit and warm up the car so that it's drive-able. I want to be able to leave within 30 seconds of starting the car, not 2-5 minutes
I chose to do a MAF tune over speed density tune until I have larger injectors/o2 dump, and etc. I never start my car and leave I always wait about 5 mins regardless.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
I just went SD with TSCompUSA and do not have any issues. Do not have to let it warm up.

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions on tune