Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help Deciding

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Deciding

Hey guys, im new on here and i was wondering if i could get some of the more experience member`s opinions on purchasing an evo 4 compared to a evo 5.

It will be my first evo and im wondering if the problems on the 4 (crankwalk, diff issues and such) would warrant a purchase or if i should just cough up the extra dough and get the 5

any and all opinions and comments appreciated thank!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

In the states we don't have those older options but if the difference between the two cars is 6 bolt vs 7 bolt 4G63 then yes all of the reading and things I have always heard are the 7 bolt is the way to go. Way less issues with crank walk. Post up some pics if you get one please I would love to see it. Good luck.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 07:02 AM

The Evo IV is 7 bolt, but it is more prone to crankwalk than the Evo V onwards. Only a small amount of IVs will ever walk, (less than the 6 bolt) but you don't want to find yourself in that minority if you can avoid it. However, if the price difference on a IV is too tempting to pass up (for example, the difference being more than the cost to swap to an Evo V -VIII engine), then why not save the cash and if she walks later, swap her out with the cash you saved.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the replies guys! im looking around right now and it seems like i can find some pretty good deals!, ill post pics up when its here!