Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Purchased a very low mileage 2003 EVO.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found a couple boost leaks...one on the lower IC pipe and one on the recirculation valve . For some reason it is plastic. My old TME had a metal one. A little tightening and some bondo and all of a sudden this car grew a set of nuts. I replaced the ****ty head unit, and plasti dipped my wheels ( they were chipped and looked horrible)
Old Feb 2, 2014, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great find. Sounds like you got solid parts that just neeeded a little love to shine.

Hks cams, exedy clutch...add fuel pump and injectors with a tune and you will have 350whp on the cheap.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 09:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by desertsoldier22
Found a couple boost leaks...one on the lower IC pipe and one on the recirculation valve . For some reason it is plastic. My old TME had a metal one.
The 8s had a plastic DV. Apparently Mitsubishi didn't learn their lesson with the 2G DSM that the plastic valve didn't work. But, they went back to the same metal one as the 1G in the IX.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I had a 1G thats why it surprised me.

Update,

Had Kozmic Motorsports check out the car...aside from a leaky ball joint boot (fixed at home) the car is pretty good. Need to ditch the Xede and go ECU flash, wonder if anyone has an email tune for an older Vishnu Stage 1+ setup. Apparently the extent of my mods is exactly that kit including the exhaust. The Xede has bit of a crappy idle (even for 272 lift cams, throttle tip in confuses her).

Also ran her at the track 13.04 @103mph, 1.8 60ft. Great launch...crap top end especially for the mods. I think a better tune might unleash the beast.

Stock clutch is a little weak...no slippage but it does not take much to make her stink up the place. Two launches and I was not longer willing to risk it. (Just like launching my old Talon 15 years ago)

Stock rims had been painted (Horribly I might add), tried white plastidip to cover up the crap. However white gets dirty real easy and for some reason it comes off pretty easily too. Black seems to be the way to go.

No I did not put the stickers on :P
Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope all works out