Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

usdm evo 9 mr headlight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2014, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking usdm evo 9 mr headlight

if i buy a usdm evo 8/9 MR HID headlight housing, can i just buy some aftermarket HID kit and plug and play into the housing? I know the OEM setup requires getting the oem ballast, bulb, hardware and it seems hard to find. I was thinking of just buying the MR headlight housing and using a aftermarket hid kit. will that work? of course i will be running it at 4300k and 35watt. thanks
Old Feb 1, 2014, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm curious about this as well. I have the Evo VIII HID headlights that need new housings and I would like to know if I could do the same thing with MR housing and just switch everything over will work or not.?.?
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:45 PM

anyone know? please
Old Feb 3, 2014, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by WAevo8racer
I'm curious about this as well. I have the Evo VIII HID headlights that need new housings and I would like to know if I could do the same thing with MR housing and just switch everything over will work or not.?.?
In your case your oem hid headllights, are interchangeable with the mr headlights. the oem ballast and bulb swap right oveR.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by ekinshuya
if i buy a usdm evo 8/9 MR HID headlight housing, can i just buy some aftermarket HID kit and plug and play into the housing? I know the OEM setup requires getting the oem ballast, bulb, hardware and it seems hard to find. I was thinking of just buying the MR headlight housing and using a aftermarket hid kit. will that work? of course i will be running it at 4300k and 35watt. thanks
If you run aftermarket hid kit, you will have a large hole in the bottom of the headlight housing, where the oem ballast goes, the oem ballast has a grommet, that seals the housing, so if you could seal the hole where the ballast goes. you could run aftermarket hids. i would just buy the oem stuff all you need is two ballast and you can bulb off amazon
Old Feb 3, 2014, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ecr33
If you run aftermarket hid kit, you will have a large hole in the bottom of the headlight housing, where the oem ballast goes, the oem ballast has a grommet, that seals the housing, so if you could seal the hole where the ballast goes. you could run aftermarket hids. i would just buy the oem stuff all you need is two ballast and you can bulb off amazon
if i get the two oem ballast and get the bulb off amazon, don't i need to get the wire and relay harness or something cuz my stock halogen use different wattss?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by ekinshuya
if i get the two oem ballast and get the bulb off amazon, don't i need to get the wire and relay harness or something cuz my stock halogen use different wattss?
On the gsr if you run the oem hid setup, you have to change over to the mr harness where it connects to the headlight idk if you have to fo anything else
Old Feb 4, 2014, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ecr33
On the gsr if you run the oem hid setup, you have to change over to the mr harness where it connects to the headlight idk if you have to fo anything else
Heres a forum on the wiring i like the oem route but this gives u an idea of what to do https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/showthread.php?t=188012&page=3
Old Feb 4, 2014, 09:30 PM

but wont just using USDM or JDM 8/9 MR headlight WITH
morimoto aftermarket HID kit be alot easier since i dont need to find oem ballast and harness? wont the morimoto or any aftermarket kit come with ballast and harness to connect directly to my non hid gsr evo?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 09:16 AM

anyone?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:38 AM

Yes an aftermarket hid kit will be plug and play, if you kept your non hid headlight housings you would avoid having the hole thats in the oem hid housings where the ballast goes in the bottom of the headlight housings, just saying the oem ballast seals the headlight otherwise you have like a 2.5 inch whole in the bottom of the hid headlight housing