Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What to do with EVO? moving to japan

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do with EVO? moving to japan

im moving to tokyo japan. should be there for 3-5 years. i have an 06 evo, pretty heavily modded. dont know whether to take it with me or to ditch it. i wont have a garage or tools there. ive never been to japan, dont know how the roads are, how much shop maintence is like there, how the weather is on the cars. i know its a japanese car, in japan, but i dont want to get robbed on upkeep/engine builds etc because im american/gaijin or whatever. anybody lived in japan? think its a wise choice to bring with me? I love the car but dont want to spend an asston of money keeping it running strong out there.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

I'd pick up a 4 5 or 6 while I was living there but that's me.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 03:35 PM

ill definitely buy whatever else i can while im there, r32-34, or old evo... but im just trying to figure out if bringing it would be worth the trouble or more expensive to maintain then they are here
Old Feb 4, 2014, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you military? If so, the government will store your car. I was stationed in Okinawa for 3 years, don't take a vehicle with you. Even though it is a Japanese car, you will have to pay to ship it round trip, get it to pass inspection to meet their requirements at your dime and not to mention you'll be LHD in a RHD country. Just get a car you'd like there and sell it before you leave, that's what 99.9% of Military do. I bought quite a few cars and enjoyed them while there to include an R32GTR, MR2 Turbo and an Evo 4. Also, Japanese ppl are nothing like Americans, you could have a Ferrari parked outside your house and chances are they would not touch it. Now, yes, when there were "tense" times with American/Japanese relations, American's property were targeted and vandalized. But the other 99% of the time, nothing happened. Very nice and courteous people.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 03:40 PM

yes im in the air force. they said theyd ship it for free.... i am worried about LHD, never experienced that. i wanna keep the car if maintenance/upkeep/engine builds are similar in cost to here. anybody with info on emissions would be helpful
Old Feb 4, 2014, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Everything is more expensive in Japan. Oil, gas, parts, you name it. I'd talk to your MPF or HHG folks about shipping your car. It's been a few years since I did my time overseas, 2008-2011, but they would not ship a car over there for free. Again, I'd recommend not taking the car over there, not worth it imo. Go to Upgarage while there and buy some stuff to bring back, I loved that place.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 03:44 PM

thanks man. whats upgarage?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Used car parts store. You can get Exhausts, turbos, seats, stereos, etc from them, awesome stuff Also, when your car is in government storage they will have access to it to start it up for you, check fluids, tire pressure etc. This also presents the opportunity for them to joyride as well. I'd suggest getting Evoscan and a tactrix cable if you don't already have them. Put your car in valet mode so they can take care of your car while in storage, but not joyride it.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 05:01 PM

anyone else have experience in japan?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 07:53 PM

i will hold on to it for you
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

I'd say keep the car in storage. Pick a car from Japan and play and bring it back(r32 GTR anyone?) the inspections aren't worth it. I was in Yokosuka for 6.5 years and loved it. Just go to up garage stack up in some rare JDM parts and sell them or bring them back.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:12 AM

Do you have a friend or relative to watch the car for you? If you trust them enough with it not to **** it up lol. Just to start it and drive it softly every now and then.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:27 AM

sell it and gamble.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:46 AM
Sev
Evolved Member

Keep the Evo with a trusted friend, family member or relative and have them maintain it for you while you're gone. Move to Japan, pick up a clean R32-R34 or Evo IV-VI and have fun.

That's what I'd do. And +1 on UpGarage.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I could go back to Japan and military is willing to ship my car, I'd bring my Evo. a USDM in a JDM world is like a JDM here. Grew up there, Lived there 10 years Okinawa, Atsugi, and Yokosuka. Score some cheap jdm parts from yellowhat, upgarage, and hard-off. Attend meets under the Yokohama bridge if you're in mainland. Japanese people are humble and really dgaf if your a foreigner, they mind their own business.

It's a great experience, you're I'm car heaven when your there. Buy a skyline while your there

Quick Reply: What to do with EVO? moving to japan