Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

MAP Recirculated O2 Eliminator?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
MAP Recirculated O2 Eliminator?

Is anyone running this?

I love the sound of the dumps until WOT. It's just not feasible for what I want.

That said... I was wondering if anyone is running MAPs O2 Eliminator downpipe with the recirculated option and what thoughts they have with it? What's the sound like? What's the powerband like?

I'm currently running a Buschur DP (full exhaust, no cat) Toxicfab mani, and have the stock O2 housing on because I ran the toxic dump for a few days before peeling it off. This piece btw... is amazing. The sound of the wastegate pulse is amazing... I just hate the WOT drone.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ProPilot04
Is anyone running this?

I love the sound of the dumps until WOT. It's just not feasible for what I want.

That said... I was wondering if anyone is running MAPs O2 Eliminator downpipe with the recirculated option and what thoughts they have with it? What's the sound like? What's the powerband like?

I'm currently running a Buschur DP (full exhaust, no cat) Toxicfab mani, and have the stock O2 housing on because I ran the toxic dump for a few days before peeling it off. This piece btw... is amazing. The sound of the wastegate pulse is amazing... I just hate the WOT drone.

SOrry off topic but are you selling the toxic 02?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

I sold it quite a while ago unfortunately.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 03:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The recircs sound pretty close to stock. You'll probably notice much quicker spool up in the turbo off the get go.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by soderdna
The recircs sound pretty close to stock. You'll probably notice much quicker spool up in the turbo off the get go.
Compared to the stock O2 housing? Or compared to an ebay/Buschur which is what the other option is.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
curious what others may say, I'm getting sick of my muse 02... with only 2k miles on it lol
Old Feb 6, 2014, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just tested mine 30min ago and i love it. nice rumble at idle not loud at all and im 3'' no cat all the way. I have the recirculating one with the 3d flange to avoid boost creep
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:48 AM
Evolving Member

Compared to the stock O2 housing? Or compared to an ebay/Buschur which is what the other option is.
A recirc is a recirc. They all sound mostly the same, the exhaust gets dumped back into the downpipe so you won't really hear a change in note. The atmosphere dumps are what sound different. Mind you everyone designs their product different. But the effects on boost is universal. The OEM housing just isn't as effective as aftermarket.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by soderdna
A recirc is a recirc. They all sound mostly the same, the exhaust gets dumped back into the downpipe so you won't really hear a change in note. The atmosphere dumps are what sound different. Mind you everyone designs their product different. But the effects on boost is universal. The OEM housing just isn't as effective as aftermarket.
This isn't strictly true I don't believe.

I mean, obviously the dumps sound different, but the dumps sound different through the whole wastegate process.

Having the traditional style O2 housing from brand to brand, or even stock, would probably sound the same, but I think having the MAP setup where the pipe for the wastegate is rerouted much further down would have a different sound.

SINCE I can't seem to find anyone that has it, I'm holding off. I love the way my current exhaust sounds, but as I said... I really enjoyed the dump, right up until WOT. So if this MAP O2 eliminator can offer some of that sound, similar benefits to an aftermarket O2 housing, AND not have the "I have no exhaust on my car" sound... it may be worth my investment. But if it's not really going to offer me anything other than a performance bump over the stock O2... it isn't worth the high price.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by souleater
I just tested mine 30min ago and i love it. nice rumble at idle not loud at all and im 3'' no cat all the way. I have the recirculating one with the 3d flange to avoid boost creep
Sounds silly, but any chance you can get a vid/sound?

Otherwise, would you say it sounds different than the stock O2 with aftermarket exhaust? More directly, is there a difference in the sound when the wastegate is open between the stock O2 and MAPs?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

O2 eliminator should net some spool up gains for you since it'll be 3" right off the turbo's hotside.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

actually, I have the same question...
Old Feb 8, 2014, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

This isn't strictly true I don't believe.

I mean, obviously the dumps sound different, but the dumps sound different through the whole wastegate process.

Having the traditional style O2 housing from brand to brand, or even stock, would probably sound the same, but I think having the MAP setup where the pipe for the wastegate is rerouted much further down would have a different sound.

SINCE I can't seem to find anyone that has it, I'm holding off. I love the way my current exhaust sounds, but as I said... I really enjoyed the dump, right up until WOT. So if this MAP O2 eliminator can offer some of that sound, similar benefits to an aftermarket O2 housing, AND not have the "I have no exhaust on my car" sound... it may be worth my investment. But if it's not really going to offer me anything other than a performance bump over the stock O2... it isn't worth the high price.
This could hold true I do see your point. I'd be curious to know the same. Maybe you could consider a custom o2 housing? Something that gives a definitive sound but doesn't sound like armageddon under boost haha
Old Feb 8, 2014, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah. It's certainly an option now that I've been welding more. I'm not trying to be one of those dudes that's all like, I want all of the benefits with none of the risk. I just don't want the "no exhaust" sound. If I can get that sound out of the MAP unit... I think it would be worthwhile. Heck... they'd probably sell a bunch more too. I think the dumps are gonna start getting old for more people soon.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 09:39 PM

I've got one, had it for about 2.5 years now. I installed it at the same time I swapped from a complete stock evo 8 turbo and stock exhaust to an Evo 9 turbo and buschur bullet exhaust.

I really like it. It's a good product and perfect match for a 3" exhaust. No where near as loud as a dump.

Last edited by seanjohn291; Feb 8, 2014 at 09:47 PM.

Quick Reply: MAP Recirculated O2 Eliminator?