Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Best Mods for reliablility?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Mods for reliablility?

I have recently bought a 03 Evo and we had a brand new engine built. CP pistons, forged rods, crank, etc. The balance shaft was removed, larger intercooler and aluminum radiator. I want this to be a reliable daily driver with an occasional track day. so my question is what mods do i need to look into to ensure that i am protecting the engine. I know that driving style is a huge factor.
thank you for your thoughts
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:32 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just good maintenance. Mods doesn't add to reliability. Keep up with drivetrain fluids, and enging oil intervals. Replace spark plugs as needed. Timing service, etc.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
As the above said keep up with fluid changes. Also useable gauges too would be a good idea. A Wideband is what comes to mind and maybe an oil temp gauge as well to monitor the engine.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chu
Just good maintenance. Mods doesn't add to reliability. Keep up with drivetrain fluids, and enging oil intervals. Replace spark plugs as needed. Timing service, etc.
nailed it
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Sell it and buy something that actually is reliable hahaha and doesn't cost an outrageous amount of money to maintain like a truck or a nice little ford sedan

Last edited by hiner005; Feb 6, 2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hiner005
Sell it and buy something that actually is reliable hahaha and doesn't cost an outrageous amount of money to maintain like a truck or a nice little ford sedan
This haha.

Mods and reliability don't go hand in hand.

I guess simple things.... like... a vortex generator.... or a shift knob.... would maintain the reliability option. However, I've never considered my evo to be reliable.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hiner005
Originally Posted by Pssst
This haha.

Mods and reliability don't go hand in hand.

I guess simple things.... like... a vortex generator.... or a shift knob.... would maintain the reliability option. However, I've never considered my evo to be reliable.
Really guys... moded evo can be reliable like any other car if you maintain it properly. A 600hp evo can very reliable if you not always spooling to the moon at every stop light and don't act like an asshat and lauching it every second of the day...
Old Feb 6, 2014, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shak2300
Really guys... moded evo can be reliable like any other car if you maintain it properly. A 600hp evo can very reliable if you not always spooling to the moon at every stop light and don't act like an asshat and lauching it every second of the day...
Anything can be reliable sure,

But once you change one thing, something else gets effected, its a butterfly effect... I dont do that with mine and I still have issues often. Hell, I can safely say, I've never launched mine. I'm terrified to do so, in fear something will break. My motor is built top to bottom, as well as a rebuilt trans, but I would bite my tongue if I called it reliable. Everyones experience is different.

Also none of the issues I have had fall under "regular maintenance items" :/
Old Feb 6, 2014, 02:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chu
Great advice...and just cover the basics.

Also, read read read! Whether its this forum as a reference or other publications by reputable tuners...its always good to at least "know"what goes wrong...even if you can't fix it yourself.

Become friends with your local Evo shop (if there is one). Bring them a case of beer and be on good terms ;-)

Good luck!
Old Feb 6, 2014, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

read the modification regrets thread, front to back, top to bottom.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pray4daRepublic
I have recently bought a 03 Evo and we had a brand new engine built. CP pistons, forged rods, crank, etc. The balance shaft was removed, larger intercooler and aluminum radiator. I want this to be a reliable daily driver with an occasional track day. so my question is what mods do i need to look into to ensure that i am protecting the engine. I know that driving style is a huge factor.
thank you for your thoughts
The truth is you should have never purchased what you did--- that being a modded car with unknown issues. First question that comes to mind is why it was rebuilt in the first place, second is who did the job--and thats just for starters. To address the questions, a car thats never been modded is the best bet and most reliable. You on the other hand are at a place of wait and see-- whats going to go wrong with a car you purchased with an unknown history. Other have given good advice already. GL with your new car and stay up on maintenance, dont go cheap, and you really dont need to see redline everyday-- ( unless you can pay for it)
Old Feb 6, 2014, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Best mod to a Mitsubishi...
A daily driver.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Motor mounts, a lot of people don't like the additional vibration they bring, but they do keep everything where it should be for shifts and acceleration and I have all four and I got lucky and it seems to have lowered my vibrations. Shifter bushings to again clean up the shifts and protect your trans a little. And a wavetrac or differential upgrade for the transfer case. And stay on top of your maintenance if not a little ahead. I change my plugs every 6k miles, is it necessary no, do I have misfires or odd afr's no so I think it's a fair trade. Which reminds me a cop system will help a little too.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 07:00 PM

Tires (235), but it's not really a mod. Maybe brakes? Just try and have as much control on the roads to drive safely.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:33 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Silicone radiator hoses, replace crappy oem hose clamps. Replace clutch line and brake lines with Stainless steel braided. Upgrade fuel pump. Upgrade rear trailing arm bushings. Install MAP sensor ( I prefer OEM 3-bar from an Evo X for under 30psi boost). Install a wideband 02 sensor. This is the stuff off the top of my head that will contribute to increasing reliability of your Evo in one way or another.

Quick Reply: Best Mods for reliablility?