Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Motor Mount Help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor Mount Help

Is there anyone in the Canton, Massillon, Ohio area that can help me swap some motor mounts out???
Old Feb 8, 2014, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Matt. Which mounts are you swapping? It's a relatively simple job... perhaps if no one can help, and you can't take it to a shop, we could talk you through it a bit?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 05:41 AM

Im swapping out the lower rear motor mount, and the transmission mount.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

The rear mount might require removing the subframe. Or you might be able to lift it up out of the back by the firewall but its going to be a very very tight fit. I need to replace that mount too as my stock one is getting spongy and old. But my subframe is rusting from age so after this winter I'm going to replace the rear mount, subframe, and lower control arms too with the whiteline kit. Good luck and when you replace that rear mount if you could come on here and let us know if you can do it without taking the subframe out that would be great. Thanks and good luck!!!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by matteclipse
Im swapping out the lower rear motor mount, and the transmission mount.
I was able to loosen my rear roll stopper mount by using an intricate combination of flexible wrenches, sockets, and contortion. My ACD was out, the subframe was lowered as much as it could be without disconnecting the PS, but I DID have the steering wheel disconnected.

I've never tried to just do that mount by itself, so I don't know... but the best approach is to remove the intake system, and UICP/battery, attack it from the top with one person, and have someone below (goggles!) with their feet towards the rear of the car, and face looking up just in front of the subframe. At least... that's how I think I would begin the investigation.

If you're going to be raising lowering the motor at all, be wary of the ground from the intake manifold to the firewall. It becoming disconnected has caused many a problem for many an Evo.

Good luck, ask if you have other questions of course.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:38 AM

Thank you for the good info
Old Feb 13, 2014, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Did mine with the subframe in the car. Used my matco locking flex 80 tooth ratchet, and my easy red double box ratcheting wrenches. These got leverage as they are long. The flex head ratchet was used below the car, wrenches used behind the engine from the top. Only removed the strut bar, lower subframe brace with the front motor mount, and the upper intercooler pipe I believe. The miata battery was small enough for me to get my arm around it to access the wrenches. Pry bar the engine to get the ratchet in and out.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 05:01 AM

Thanks, im going to work on it tomorrow, I hope this fixes my clunking noises
Old Feb 14, 2014, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ryan4dc
Did mine with the subframe in the car. Used my matco locking flex 80 tooth ratchet, and my easy red double box ratcheting wrenches. These got leverage as they are long. The flex head ratchet was used below the car, wrenches used behind the engine from the top. Only removed the strut bar, lower subframe brace with the front motor mount, and the upper intercooler pipe I believe. The miata battery was small enough for me to get my arm around it to access the wrenches. Pry bar the engine to get the ratchet in and out.
This is really good stuff, thanks a lot. I was going to wait to swap my rear mount when I do the subframe but you just gave me the confidence to swap the mount out now, cause it really needs to be. Thanks again for the good info and I have a small battery tray too so I'm glad that makes it easier.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by jrainwater
This is really good stuff, thanks a lot. I was going to wait to swap my rear mount when I do the subframe but you just gave me the confidence to swap the mount out now, cause it really needs to be. Thanks again for the good info and I have a small battery tray too so I'm glad that makes it easier.
Are you having any clunking noises??
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

FWIW, that rear mount is simply a roll stopper mount.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:46 AM

So, it wouldnt cause a clunking noise? I can feel it all the time
Old Feb 14, 2014, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Mine was a scraping noise. Was able to duplicate he noise with a prybar between that lower brace, and the trans case. Prying the engine up, made the exact noise I hear while driving. Scraping and banging while holding first gear, ie accel a bit then let off. Replaced mine with a torque solutions mount.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 03:52 PM

I know the mount is bad, I hear constant banging especially on decelerating and slow driving
Old Feb 14, 2014, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by matteclipse
So, it wouldnt cause a clunking noise? I can feel it all the time
No no, it can still clunk. Knowing that it's purpose is only to prevent the motor from rocking back and forth might help you narrow down the problem knowing when the clunk should ideally be occurring.

Quick Reply: Motor Mount Help