Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

When going big turbo...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When going big turbo...

Do people generally go with kits or buy parts separate. I'm kind of intrigued by the 6262DBB ETS kit, just looking for opinions on people's builds and the more cost friendly way. Thanks
Old Feb 10, 2014, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think most people that peice together a kit end up doing it for cost reasons, so then they also end up fabricating there own downpipe, and there own lower charge pipe to further improve cost. so then they just pick a fancy manifold they like and slap on there favorite turbo.

a kit would by far be easier, and you wouldnt have to worry about a thing. only thing is your paying for there labor to fab that downpipe, and fab the lower inter cooler pipes, and labor to put all the tbolts and clamps into the kit. just depends on your craftyness and wallet
Old Feb 10, 2014, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheBigD
i think most people that peice together a kit end up doing it for cost reasons, so then they also end up fabricating there own downpipe, and there own lower charge pipe to further improve cost. so then they just pick a fancy manifold they like and slap on there favorite turbo.

a kit would by far be easier, and you wouldnt have to worry about a thing. only thing is your paying for there labor to fab that downpipe, and fab the lower inter cooler pipes, and labor to put all the tbolts and clamps into the kit. just depends on your craftyness and wallet
Wouldn't it make more sense to just get your shop/tuner to get you squared away by telling them what turbo you want to run or would that end up in being roughly the same as ordering a kit anyways. I'm just looking ahead a little as this summer/fall is like to go big. Was initially going to do an fp black but the power potential of the 62 and the fact that Ita supposedly a better pump turbo(from what I've gathered) swayed me that direction.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Buying a kit is good because it's fast and you get a ton of brand new stuff. But if you scour the marketplace section on the regular you can find used parts at good prices. Piecing a kit together takes a little more time and gives you more time to change your mind... like I do
Old Feb 10, 2014, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Go with a good kit like AMS , ETS and so on like that you can switch turbo's and still have a great kit to do it with.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
Wouldn't it make more sense to just get your shop/tuner to get you squared away by telling them what turbo you want to run or would that end up in being roughly the same as ordering a kit anyways. I'm just looking ahead a little as this summer/fall is like to go big. Was initially going to do an fp black but the power potential of the 62 and the fact that Ita supposedly a better pump turbo(from what I've gathered) swayed me that direction.
What is your tuner/shop going to order that you cant? Aside from a few discounts you may get going that route, theres no benefit to having them buy it for you. If you can fab stuff up, more power to you but I'm no fab guy so I'd prefer buying a kit that has everything you need for install.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
Go with a good kit like AMS , ETS and so on like that you can switch turbo's and still have a great kit to do it with.
sharkbite is still on EvoM?? What happened to your car and what are you driving now. you use to have my favorite evo on here. AMS 850R. Beast
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evotuner04
What is your tuner/shop going to order that you cant? Aside from a few discounts you may get going that route, theres no benefit to having them buy it for you. If you can fab stuff up, more power to you but I'm no fab guy so I'd prefer buying a kit that has everything you need for install.
I was referring to them doing some fabbing.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
I was referring to them doing some fabbing.
Generally that'll be much more than a kit thats direct install. Fab work = tons of labor. Good luck though man builds are very fun!!
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Generally that'll be much more than a kit thats direct install. Fab work = tons of labor. Good luck though man builds are very fun!!
Lol good point. Between ball bearing and journal, would you even consider a 6262 that isn't ball bearing? I'll prob go with ETS as they're very well priced. I still haven't ruled out and fp black either.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

BB 6262 arent that much, its not like buying a JB Green or BB Green where prices are 1,000 dollars in difference

A FP Black is a good choice as well, plus you can keep your manifold, dp and etc
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

BB 6262 arent that much, its not like buying a JB Green or BB Green where prices are 1,000 dollars in difference

A FP Black is a good choice as well, plus you can keep your manifold, dp and etc
The thing is, I have a GARBAGE manifold, it's a Megan. I'm planning on dumping it DEF before a turbo swap. I'm debating buying a new manifold and going with the black or just a top mount manifold and the 6262. I like the idea behind e black because it's stock location and has better spool, just worried about the TQ.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by EatSleepBoost
sharkbite is still on EvoM?? What happened to your car and what are you driving now. you use to have my favorite evo on here. AMS 850R. Beast

Sold it to some guy in the middle east who extremely over paid enough to get me a GTR

That's what I been riding for the last 3 years.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 04:38 PM

All the hype with precision turbos... Any one push a gtx yet?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
Sold it to some guy in the middle east who extremely over paid enough to get me a GTR

That's what I been riding for the last 3 years.
How are you enjoying the upgrade?

Quick Reply: When going big turbo...