Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tired of this cold weather.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tired of this cold weather.

Its hit -10* F the last night, and I woke up this morning and the car has plenty of spark, and cranks repeatedly, but will not fire. If I abuse the starter and keep the key turned it will pop every few seconds like it is about to start, but never does.
Any ideas?!
Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 04:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Stand alone ems? Same here I haven't figured it out, but I assume it needs a little more air to start. Bump up the iscv a little. Holding my throttle lightly fires right up in -1 or less Fahrenheit .
Old Feb 10, 2014, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
Stand alone ems? Same here I haven't figured it out, but I assume it needs a little more air to start. Bump up the iscv a little. Holding my throttle lightly fires right up in -1 or less Fahrenheit .
It's not, the car only has basic bolt ons.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

throw a new set of plugs in her. full tank of gas not E85? if all else fails a tiny shot of ether.

Last edited by cfdfireman1; Feb 10, 2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
93 or e85? If the latter there are some great threads on here that I can try and find for you to help out. If its 93 then the stock starting tables should suffice so I'd guess it's some other issue.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe
93 or e85? If the latter there are some great threads on here that I can try and find for you to help out. If its 93 then the stock starting tables should suffice so I'd guess it's some other issue.
Gas, and plugs are only a couple of weeks old! I have it in the garage at the moment. Unfortunately, no luxury of staying in for more than one night. Gonna try to start up in about an hour. Have the heater cranked out there.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I don't have the super cold temps that you have. I have noticed that the closer to zero the more sluggish my vehicles are to start. I have hooked up a trickle charger overnight and had no such issues the next day, even though the vehicles seemed to have plenty of power.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 08:17 PM

Threw new plugs in, and had the heater cranked up. Little bit of starting fluid, and a good 25 seconds of cranking. Garage queen for the night.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Could be bad coils (even one bad pack or coil could be a culprit) as well. My buddy had the same problem the other day with his. Mini battery? If its an oem battery I'd check out the coils
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You definitely have an issue outside of the cold. It get -40 up here and yes it does start a little slower but I have never had an issue with it not starting. What size battery do you have, more specifically how many cca?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:07 PM

Are you getting fuel pressure?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:41 AM

What about your battery. What kind of cold cranking AMPs do you have? If you have a mini battery that is not going to work in that kind of cold.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by knx2
What about your battery. What kind of cold cranking AMPs do you have? If you have a mini battery that is not going to work in that kind of cold.
That's not exactly a true statement with all due respect. I have the Odyssey 925 and my car has been starting up first crank all winter long in Chicago. Wind chills have been -20 to -40 for a couple weeks straight now. The smaller Odyssey 680 I could see issues though.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by knx2
If the battery is cranking but it is not charged enough to crank hard enough it will crank and crank till it goes dead.

I know from my experience with my mini battery. I relocated the battery to the trunk and purchased a bigger battery and have not had a problem since.

It is worth looking into and should not be ruled out.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by jrainwater
That's not exactly a true statement with all due respect. I have the Odyssey 925 and my car has been starting up first crank all winter long in Chicago. Wind chills have been -20 to -40 for a couple weeks straight now. The smaller Odyssey 680 I could see issues though.
1. What is wind chill temperature?

A. The wind chill temperature is how cold people and animals feel when outside. Windchill is based on the rate of heat loss from exposed skin caused by wind and cold. As the wind increases, it draws heat from the body, driving down skin temperature and eventually the internal body temperature. Therefore, the wind makes it FEEL much colder. If the temperature is 0 degrees Fahrenheit and the wind is blowing at 15 mph, the wind chill is -19 degrees Fahrenheit. At this wind chill temperature, exposed skin can freeze in 30 minutes.

2. Can wind chill impact my car's radiator or exposed water pipe?

A. The only effect wind chill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to shorten the amount of time for the object to cool. The inanimate object will not cool below the actual air temperature. For example, if the temperature outside is -5 degrees Fahrenheit and the wind chill temperature is -31 degrees Fahrenheit, then your car's radiator will not drop lower than -5 degrees Fahrenheit.

Last edited by knx2; Feb 11, 2014 at 07:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Tired of this cold weather.