Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Insurance just went up wtf?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance just went up wtf?

Sooooooooo, checked my premium for the 03 Evo with USAA and it went up like 60 bucks for 6 months. So that equals out to about 8ish dollars a month more. I know its 8 bucks and im being cheap but i feel like im being punished for driving a sports car that's 11 years old. No accidents, no tickets in years....They said its because they assessed the vehicle and "raised the premium". Is it because its older? Or is it because there just flippin sweet cars that are becoming rare? Customer Service had zero answers... I dunno.... merica
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Macurts
Sooooooooo, checked my premium for the 03 Evo with USAA and it went up like 60 bucks for 6 months. So that equals out to about 8ish dollars a month more. I know its 8 bucks and im being cheap but i feel like im being punished for driving a sports car that's 11 years old. No accidents, no tickets in years....They said its because they assessed the vehicle and "raised the premium". Is it because its older? Or is it because there just flippin sweet cars that are becoming rare? Customer Service had zero answers... I dunno.... merica
I only have experience with my x...but I dropped USAA after about 4 years of car insurance with them. I had a G6 with USAA, about 160 monthly for the coverage I had. When I got my X, they quoted me almost 500 monthly.

Every other company quoted me around what I was paying on the G6, or less, for better coverage than I had with USAA. I have State Farm now.

When I asked why it was so much (when I called to drop them), the guy said it must be something messed up in the system. I checked back about 6 months later, still at over 300 a month. I think USAA just doesn't like Evo's
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have USAA on my IX and my premium usually goes up like 20 bucks every 6 months. Not sure why but this started happening about 1.5 years ago. Still much cheaper than some of the other options out there though.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
I have safeco and mine goes down
Old Feb 12, 2014, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Had Metlife for 10 years......switched over to Allstate and my premium dropped $400/year instantly. i suggest getting a new quote from different company every year.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i have progressive and it's still about $60/month but then again i have a perfect driving record =)

well...hmm....our homeboy obama just raised the minimum wage to 10.10 so that probably doesn't help either =/
Old Feb 12, 2014, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

messed up system but sometimes you just gotta switch companies for lower rates.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Tell them you've reassessed their customer service, and you're raising THEIR premium $60. Reassure them that this is an offer that's too good to refuse. When the agent sounds confused, demand to speak with a supervisor. Then state your case just as normal. Two reasons.

1. Maybe they'll actually lower it.
2. Even if they don't, you've implemented some sort of psychological warfare into their office. Agent sees supervisor at water cooler. "Hey, so what was that guy going on about with saying he raised our premium?" Supervisor says "Huh?" and begins to question whether that agent is actually qualified to talk with people or not...

There's pretty much an endless pool of mayhem here.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
$60 / 6 = $8?

They recalculate the premiums regularly. Sometimes it will go up due to age (availability of parts), sometimes due to theft statistics changing on a model, sometimes just because you borrowed too much money on your credit card and they didn't like that (yes, your insurance company checks your credit and can use it to evaluate your rates).
Old Feb 12, 2014, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Also it depends on where you live. I moved ONE county north and it shot up $20 a month because there is a higher theft rate in the county i live now mind you i moved 10miles :/
Old Feb 12, 2014, 03:55 PM

I have USAA and this is my first month of the new premium and it stayed the same for my 03 evo
Old Feb 12, 2014, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Rates may change, and not necessarily because of you. It could be the statistics of your vehicle (meaning that they notice some trend of tickets and/or claims associated with it), your demographic or your location. Or maybe the insurance company lost a ton of money, which does happen from time to time, contrasting to the view of insurance companies making billions of dollars, which would certainly be the case if ZERO people made any insurance claims. But that definitely isn't the case. You figure that for your average car accident, an insurance company has to have maybe ten other clients who do not end up making a claim just to break even from that one client's incident.

If you call your agent to ask why your rate went up, I'd say 90% of the time, their answer is a canned response, unless they spoke directly with an underwriter. Just like how you see your next term premium and it gives no explanations for any changes in rates, your agent won't be able to see anything different explaining why YOUR rates went up. At best, they might have been given some newsletter from the company directly talking about rates going up or down for certain types of clients. But there isn't some screen they can access where it says specifically why customer ABC's rates went up by 10% (like it won't say that they are rating the car higher, or that county's rates went up).

If you complain to your company about rates going up and demand that they go down, it is ILLEGAL and actually impossible for them to magically make it cheaper just because of a complaint, since carriers are required to file their rates with the department of insurance, which have to apply to everyone, meaning everyone with the exact same characteristics as you would have the same rate. The only way for them to make the rate go down would be if they CHANGE something... reducing annual mileage is the most common thing that they do (and sometimes it's sugarcoated as some "low mileage reward" to make it sound special, when all they are doing is changing some numbers). Or sometimes they might lower some of your coverages, though usually that's done with your permission. So unless there are discounts that were hidden from you in the first place (i.e. education, occupation, membership with certain organizations that weren't applied before), then there isn't much new stuff that they can add on that would reduce your rate.

But at the same time, everything else goes up in price... gas gets more expensive, food gets more expensive, etc. While insurance is not a consumable, it pays out for things that do cost money, which may also have an effect on rates. Twenty years ago, a fender bender may have cost an insurance company a few hundred dollars. Nowdays, due to a variety of factors (inflation, higher car prices, more expensive parts, labor), that same accident might cost the company a couple grand.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
Tell them you've reassessed their customer service, and you're raising THEIR premium $60. Reassure them that this is an offer that's too good to refuse. When the agent sounds confused, demand to speak with a supervisor. Then state your case just as normal. Two reasons.

1. Maybe they'll actually lower it.
2. Even if they don't, you've implemented some sort of psychological warfare into their office. Agent sees supervisor at water cooler. "Hey, so what was that guy going on about with saying he raised our premium?" Supervisor says "Huh?" and begins to question whether that agent is actually qualified to talk with people or not...

There's pretty much an endless pool of mayhem here.
Pretty awesome idea lol
Old Feb 12, 2014, 06:21 PM

The dollar amount was the service lady told me, I was scratching my head too. All pretty good points, I'm just going to most likely find another company if I can. Frustrating...
Old Feb 12, 2014, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member
Veteran: Army

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Macurts
You know, same thing happened to me with USAA. Just noticed it on Sunday, up $40 over 6 months here.

Quick Reply: Insurance just went up wtf?