Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo newbie with build question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo newbie with build question

So, I'm new to this forum and to the Evo world. I recently bought a 2004 Evo 8 with 45k which has been bone stock from the previous owner with salvage rebuilt tittle for 5k. I've been doing a lot of research and read that Evo bottom block can hold up to 400-500hp with out needing to upgrade it. I need opinions from you guys since you are pretty experienced with them. Current parts that I have bought and will soon install into it are: GSC S2 cams, GSC valve springs and titanium retainers, ETS intercooler with uicp/licp, walbro 255 fuel pump, FIC 900cc high impedance injectors, ETS intake system, port polish IM and throttle body to 65mm, ex-manifold ported and TBE. Was wondering how much power am I estimated to make with good tune and would I need to build the bottom block. Thanks a lot guys and please don't slam me for being such a noob.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
at least you've started reading

yes, block are good to about 450-500whp where-after you shouldn't be surprised if something blows up

stock 8 turbo with what you listed, maybe 370whp? i have a buddy running gsc s3's, meth injection (denatured alcohol), o2 dump, and the rest of the similar parts as you on a stock 9 turbo making 400whp

no chance you'll need to build the block until you're shopping for new turbos
Old Feb 14, 2014, 04:13 PM

I make 513hp on a 6266 turbo. Many people will agree, it is not the hp you need to worry about, but the torque. Keep torque below 400 ft/lbs and you should be fine, but do not be surprised if something takes a dump.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 05:26 PM

Ha, yes, I've been doing some reading and research for over a month now and as well as getting some advice from a friend. 450-500 whp then I feel pretty safe then as I'm not looking to want to make over that. What I'd probably do next is get o2 housing and probably upgrade to a 9 turbo or upgrade to MAP stock frame turbo upgrades.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 05:29 PM

How do I keep my torque under 400ft/lb? Are there anything I can upgrade to make it more reliable at 400-450whp?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
this is posted also in the newbie section. but again.... 350dynojet imo.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 06:06 PM

****, I'm sorry I was super confused on how to use this forum. Just finally out how to post after almost a week of registering for an account haha.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 06:17 PM

I'm also looking to upgrade the turbo. Should I upgrade to Evo 9 turbo or a FP green? The FP green is a lot more expensive and I can get 9 turbo for cheaper. I just want to make a little more power, but want to have quick spool as the stock 8. How much power am I looking at if I upgrade to stock Evo 9 vs FP green?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by yadabooboo
How do I keep my torque under 400ft/lb? Are there anything I can upgrade to make it more reliable at 400-450whp?
Tuning will keep the torque down. There's more to it than that, but if you have a turbo that can make more than 400 TQ, then a tuner can keep it @ 400.
I'm also looking to upgrade the turbo. Should I upgrade to Evo 9 turbo or a FP green? The FP green is a lot more expensive and I can get 9 turbo for cheaper. I just want to make a little more power, but want to have quick spool as the stock 8. How much power am I looking at if I upgrade to stock Evo 9 vs FP green?
IMHO, I'd skip the 9 turbo. Go straight to green . The dyno results section on here should answer all your questions.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
i'd go red if you're aiming for mid/high 400's
Old Feb 15, 2014, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
worth about 20whp.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
what fuel are you planning on using?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brother I don't think you are going to have to worry about it with the list of bolt ons that you posted. Even with a 9 or FP Green upgrade everything is in the head... the majority of your Torque is going to be generated in your block. But as I said with a stock bottom end (pistons, rods, bearings, crank(minus the crank)) are not going to yield you a ridiculous amount of torque, at least not at the wheels. At the crank possibly. But also aren't you in Cali, so 91 is what you have available as far as fuel goes right? I think you would NEED E-85 to do anything reckless torque wise.

Now to make your bottom end more reliable is easy, upgrade your rotating assembly. Though I won't sit up here and tell you to buy option A pistons or option B rods, I will say that ACL Racing Bearing seem to be a favorite in the community but depending on what you ultimately want to do with your car there may be a more viable option. It's all about what you want to do LONG TERM but trust me a built 2.0 goes a long way.

All of this said keep this in mind, Evo's are extremely good cars built properly and it doesn't take much to make them go fast. Think of modz and upgrades as a marathon instead of a 40 yard sprint. Take your time, do your research and mod methodically otherwise you WILL end up spending money to upgrade things like turbos, clutches, injectors whatever several times over as you go bigger and faster. And though you may be able to resell those items in here or maybe even on ebay you won't get back what you paid for them so if you can help it try to minimize the mod madness. Because I promise 350 hp is cool until your tuner almost gets you 400... and then 400 is great until you start creeping up on 450 and so on. So as I stated above know what you ultimately want to do because Evo parts have specific capabilities and limitations so putting the right combinations together is paramount in achieving your goals bro. Jus my soap box .02c

Good Luck and Welcome!
Old Feb 15, 2014, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Honestly, if I had a stock Evo, I'd just convert it to E85. Do your injectors and fuel pump. Get it tuned, along with regular maintenance and enjoy that for awhile.

Here's a great example: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-e85-tune.html

Like tiggeryellow1 said you'll want more HP soon enough.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:00 PM

pump gas, as it is simple and easily available where I'm from.

Quick Reply: Evo newbie with build question