Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Possible purchase: 06 Evolution ix mr with 2.3L Stroker motor. What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, checked out the car today. The owner had full invoice and documentation on the maintenance and the stroker install. It was done by Works, short block by AMS with stock head. Also has AMS fuel rails, reworked oem turbo 5k miles ago, Works stage 2 clutch. Car drive fine, and the owner told me the motor does burn a little bit of oil due to the AMS stroker. No leaks. Going to get ppi done either Monday or tues.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice work did you get dyno print out? It would be nice to know why it's making so little power
Old Feb 23, 2014, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by evotuner04
Nice work did you get dyno print out? It would be nice to know why it's making so little power
I did look at the printout. I think it made 329whp, but co

Last edited by ms32evoixmr; Feb 23, 2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by evotuner04
I did look at the print out. It was done three years ago. No recent dyno. It made 329whp with stock turbine on a very mild tune. Mot sure about the torque as it was no where to be found. He knows the owner of Works pretty well, so I shouldn't have any issues getting a copy from him. Also, the reason for the stroker at 30k miles was because the previous owner had plans to upgrade to larger turbo, but his funds ran out, and sold the car with the stroker motor(not installed) to the current owner. The car was then taken to Works for the stroker implant after the current owner had purchased the vehicle.

Last edited by ms32evoixmr; Feb 23, 2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah having a built motor at 30k doesnt mean anything, some guys have money and want power. Simple. The 329whp sounds much better, not great but better lol. Did it say what psi it was at? I'd honestly say if your PPI checks out you'll be good to go. Any pics of car? I'm interested to see what she looks like
Old Mar 4, 2014, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=evotuner04;11123124]WAAAT? It wasnt rebuilt at 30k, he said it has 30k on the build. QUOTE]

Not sure if this was directed at me. Original post said 60k on chassis, 30k on built motor= 35k on original motor when rebuilt. (sorry I know I said 30K)

I fully agree with you though, some people are just rich and would throw a full AMS built motor in on healthy car. Shoot, I wish I had the money to do this! So much more piece of mind.

Back on topic. A compression test would be a good starting point. Bringing it to a reputable shop to check out thoroughly would be the best idea so your not getting in over your head with an expensive problem.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 08:31 AM

Just picked up the Evo IX MR yesterday. I just can't describe how fun it was to drive this machine. Since has a 2.3L stroker, it definitely feels more gutsy. During a nice long drive home, it definitely felt it needed a suspension upgrade, even though it already has bilstein w/swift springs. I'm sure a set of coilovers will tighten things up a bit. Also, which, I had no idea, was it also has AMS LICP, and Works diverter valve. My short term intermediate plan is to: 1.) upgrade to coilovers. 2.)Tomei Expreme Ti Exhaust w/test pipe, down pipe, and manifold. As a huge noob, Please share with me your recommendations on how I can take this MR to the next level in performance and handling. Thanks!!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Post pics of this whip!! Check the struts before you buy coilovers, honestly a good set of Bilsteins/lowering springs (even if the Bilsteins had to be rebuilt) are far better than any coilover not priced over $2,000

I vote for Bilsteins and Swift springs
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

As far as exhaust any 3" with no cat will do the trick. It's all about how much you want to spend, what look, and what sound you want. Youtube will have clips for you to listen to. Don't bother changing the manifold. That can be done when changing the turbo. Maybe make a list with it's current mods and we can suggest what to do. What cams does it have, FMIC, fuel pump, injectors, etc? Pics would help too. If you can post engine bay and front end pics we can tell you if you don't know
Old Mar 7, 2014, 08:45 AM

Here are a few pictures for now. I know these are the best, but a proper shoot will commence once the mods and a well deserved bath is taken. I will also update the project progress as they progress. Thanks guys!!
Attached Thumbnails Possible purchase: 06 Evolution ix mr with 2.3L Stroker motor. What to look for?-img_0113-1-.jpg   Possible purchase: 06 Evolution ix mr with 2.3L Stroker motor. What to look for?-img_0118-1-.jpg   Possible purchase: 06 Evolution ix mr with 2.3L Stroker motor. What to look for?-img_0115-1-.jpg   Possible purchase: 06 Evolution ix mr with 2.3L Stroker motor. What to look for?-img_0116-1-.jpg  

Last edited by ms32evoixmr; Mar 7, 2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Looks clean as f**k!! Theres tons of good parts to choose from in the "For Sale" section here. Unless you want to buy everything new, theres no point in paying $1000 for turbo back exhausts or $2500 for an fp turbo. Also the stock mivec cams are plenty good for 400-450whp/tq. They are very aggressive out of the box.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 06:23 AM

congrats! Looks great, I'm trying to decide between a MR and SE at the moment. I can't decide if i want another 5 speed or to venture out and give the 6 speed a go.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Congrats on the new ride!
Thank you!!
Old Mar 8, 2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by EatSleepBoost
As far as exhaust any 3" with no cat will do the trick. It's all about how much you want to spend, what look, and what sound you want. Youtube will have clips for you to listen to. Don't bother changing the manifold. That can be done when changing the turbo. Maybe make a list with it's current mods and we can suggest what to do. What cams does it have, FMIC, fuel pump, injectors, etc? Pics would help too. If you can post engine bay and front end pics we can tell you if you don't know
I'm honestly thinking about Tomei Expreme Ti, but I also think HKS Carbon-Ti is a pretty nice exhaust. But from my research, there are fitment issues with the Evo ix with jdm rear bumpers, if I recall. That kind of pushed me away from HKS. I think the fuel system is by AMS as I do see AMS fuel rail near teh intake manifold. I am also thinking about GSC 2 cams, or Tomei 270 cams.

Quick Reply: Possible purchase: 06 Evolution ix mr with 2.3L Stroker motor. What to look for?