Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Possible purchase: 06 Evolution ix mr with 2.3L Stroker motor. What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evotuner04
Looks clean as f**k!! Theres tons of good parts to choose from in the "For Sale" section here. Unless you want to buy everything new, theres no point in paying $1000 for turbo back exhausts or $2500 for an fp turbo. Also the stock mivec cams are plenty good for 400-450whp/tq. They are very aggressive out of the box.
Thanks for the compliment! I didn't know Mivec Cams are good for up to 450whp? That is great to hear! My plans are to reach 350whp-400whp just with bolt on and e85. Nothing aggressive as i understand the tranny may not be able to handle the abuse.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

I have the hks carbon and like the sound and look but yea the fitment isn't the best. I had to rig up a few things to get it to sit how i wanted it.
For cams you should read up on here.. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-cam-test.html

See what injectors it has. more important than the fuel rail
Old Mar 8, 2014, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ms32evoixmr
I'm honestly thinking about Tomei Expreme Ti, but I also think HKS Carbon-Ti is a pretty nice exhaust. But from my research, there are fitment issues with the Evo ix with jdm rear bumpers, if I recall. That kind of pushed me away from HKS. I think the fuel system is by AMS as I do see AMS fuel rail near teh intake manifold. I am also thinking about GSC 2 cams, or Tomei 270 cams.
I think almost every exhaust has to be tweaked to fit the JDM rear because its a good inch or so shorter than the usdm version.

Originally Posted by ms32evoixmr
Thanks for the compliment! I didn't know Mivec Cams are good for up to 450whp? That is great to hear! My plans are to reach 350whp-400whp just with bolt on and e85. Nothing aggressive as i understand the tranny may not be able to handle the abuse.
Yes here in MN theres numerous Evo IX's on stock mivec cams pushing over 350whp+ on a mustang dyno. One of our tuners is making 460/450 on his stock mivec cams and fp green turbo (stock motor too). Thats on a mustang dyno as well. Dont be fooled into buying cams for no reason. Honestly if you purchase cams for a IX only making 300-400whp youre a dumba$$. I'm sorry to be blunt, but some guys mod to mod, I on the other hand, do whats tried and true and this particular mod doesnt cost a dime!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 07:20 PM

Ok guys,
Time for some updates on my build that is slowly progressing. Picked up a pretty mint condition HKS Carbon Ti exhaust for a fairly reasonable price. Since my car has JDM rear bumper, I made sure to get as much info from the seller prior to my purchase. Well, things didn't go exactly as planned. Problem #1: Didn't know that HKS Carbon Ti was made for USDM bumper, and made an assumption that it is a direct bolt on. Wrong! When the shop was trying to install the exhaust last week, it absolutely did not fit well. The canister was so big that it literally hit the exhaust outlet. Brought the car back today to have the shop customize the cannister piping to fit the JDM rear bumper. After a few hours of welding and adjustments, it finally came out perfect. The exhaust completely transformed the way the car performed and the way it looks from the rear. In addition, Tein Super Street coilovers and pillow mount will be on next week for a little more aggressive drop.

Last edited by ms32evoixmr; Mar 25, 2014 at 07:29 PM.