Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Possible purchase: 06 Evolution ix mr with 2.3L Stroker motor. What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible purchase: 06 Evolution ix mr with 2.3L Stroker motor. What to look for?

Hi guys,
I am a noob when comes to Evo. I came across this low mileage 06 evo ix mr w/2.3 liter AMS stroker. Approx 65k miles on the chassis, and 30k on AMS 2.3 liter short block with stock heads. Stock exhaust and cat. The owner told me that it was last dyno @ 300+ whp. What should I be inspecting and to look for when I inspect the car? I would be highly appreciated if any fellow members could point me to the right direction. Thanks very much, and I hope to be more actively involved once i acquire the mr.

Last edited by ms32evoixmr; Feb 20, 2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
How much? Why so little power on a 2.3? Why does it have stock exhaust? Find out how those 30k miles have been spent. With the way some guys drive, it could be time for another rebuild
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by evotuner04
How much? Why so little power on a 2.3? Why does it have stock exhaust? Find out how those 30k miles have been spent. With the way some guys drive, it could be time for another rebuild
The owner returned exhaust to stock for smog purpose. 300whp is low? Wow, I thought that's pretty damn good for a stroker motor. Lol, that tells you how little I know about the evo's. What things should I check for during visual inspection? During test drive?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

I bet the average Evo hp level is over 325whp on stock block. My 2.3 will see a modest 500 once its tuned lol.

Check for how hacked up parts and what not are or arent. If the car looks like a 16 year old installed them the chances are its true. The drive ability is another huge indicator how good the tune is, check how the clutch engages. Check AFR's while in throttle if he has a gauge. Receipts of builds, parts, etc. EVERYTHING you can think of lol
Old Feb 21, 2014, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If possible get a compression test done and ask if the motor burns any oil since its built.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
how many lbs he's been running.

and yes....compression test =)
Old Feb 21, 2014, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seems suspect, 2.3 motors should be making mid 400whp on a mild tune.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by j255c
seems suspect, 2.3 motors should be making mid 400whp on a mild tune.
I agree. A 2.3 making near stock power throws up a red flag. I wouldn't touch it without having it thoroughly checked out. You don't want to buy someone else's problem.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
A stock evo makes around 260 from the factory. with a stock 8 turbo on a stroker and low boost and would be around 300+. So it could not be a red flag. many thing come in to play such as how boost being run. i would take this is on pump 91 octane so lower numbers right off the bat. if you can find a good evo shop. i would have them drop the oil pan and check the barrings and also check the oil for any metal Flake. I would also drive make sure the clutch is not hurting and the trans does not grind. or if you have the money and you do buy it you can just get the pull the motor and send it out to ams and have them freshen it up
Old Feb 21, 2014, 07:54 AM

Thank you for the replies guys. I think he's on a stock evo 9 turbo with stock intake or what not. Not sure how many pounds he's running. He mentioned it has already been tuned, so 300+ whp sounds pretty right on the spot for stock turbo with oem dp and exhaust. Will the dipstick be able to tell me the health of the motor etc......?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

No one has said it yet, but I would be concerned why the engine was re-built at 30k miles! Was the previous owner beating the **** out of it? Bad tune? Just because they were rich and wanted a 2.3 lol? This would lead me to also be concerned with drivetrain parts, as people love to beat the crap out of these cars. Does the transmission shift smoothely in all gears? Is the transefer case whining? I just inturpet it as, if someone could blow the engine at 30k what does the rest of the powertrain look like! These are expensive parts to rebuild, so make sure they are inspected closely.

I agree, 300hp on 2.3 sounds a little strange with IX turbo, but maybe it is very de-tuned or VERY low reading mustang dyno?? Something that needs to be looked into, but not a reason to completely avoid the car. For the mere fact that you are not well versed in Evo's, I would HIGHLY recommend you bring it to a shop that specializes in them to look over the car. Spend a few extra dollars now to have it looked at, instead of spending thousands later when major parts start to fail. Goodluck!

Edit: At the bare minimum, perform a compression test and preferrably a leak down test to determine the health of the motor. The dipstick is not going to tell you anything unless the motor is already blown apart and there are hunks of metal in the oil lol
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

^ it sounded strange before because when I hear 2.3 I always think there is at the very least an fp red bolted to it, along with all the other supporting mods.

Stock ix turbo, intake, exhaust, etc. On a 2.3 just means there is a lot of untapped potential there. But I'd still have it looked at.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He could have just parted it out or traded for stock to get more for it. Aftermarket parts lower the value. People who take good care of their cars do it too. The only thing that's certain is that he changed some things.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would not buy any Evo without a pre-purchase inspection by a shop that knows Evos well, period, ESPECIALLY a built motor. My car with stock block, stock cams, stock turbo was making more than 300 whp on 93. Does it still have a 6-spd transmission?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

WAAAT? It wasnt rebuilt at 30k, he said it has 30k on the build. Which is a lot on a built motor depending how it was used. I made 325 on a mustang dyno with my stock Evo 8 (cams/exhaust/intake) wittle Evo 8 turbo and pump gas a few years ago. That thing should be making all of 350-375 even on pump gas with those mods. All these guys suggestions are good idea's especially having a reputable shop look it over and doing a compression test.

Quick Reply: Possible purchase: 06 Evolution ix mr with 2.3L Stroker motor. What to look for?