Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car wouldn't start last night..

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014 | 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Car wouldn't start last night..

I tried searching for similar threads but most that i found are people with a ton of mods. I'm stock (except for a LICP) so it's not mod related. and a disclaimer: I don't have any of my tools so I can't check too much.

Last night my car was pretty low on gas so I filled it up. The gas station said their 2 lower octane fuels were "out of order" but 94 was working so I used it. I've been to this gas station a lot with no problems. I drove a small amount with no issue and parked for a few hours and when I came out my car wouldn't start. I had power, it cranked and cranked but wouldn't start. I feel like whatever was wrong with the other octanes was wrong with the 94 and it's making my car not start. Still, I want to rule out other issues.

What is weird is that some of the dash lights are on without the key being in the ignition. I don't remember if that was the case when I first went out to start it or after I tried cranking it for a bit. I took a look at the fuse box in the engine bay to check for blown fuses and there aren't any, but I did pull up on the yellow box thing with the two 10 amp red fuses in it. I pushed it back it, but I wonder if the lights started staying on when I did that for some reason. And ideas? Maybe the engine isn't starting because of a blown fuse, but would a blown fuse cause the lights to stay on?

I want to check the interior fuses, but how the hell are you supposed to do that without taking the panel under the steering wheel off?

I took the negative power cable off so my battery didn't die overnight. when I put it back on a clicking noise was coming from somewhere around the intake manifold. I'm not sure if it's normal or not. I took a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YbUc...ature=youtu.be

I also hear a humming sort of noise for a few second when I turn the key from around the glove box area (or that direction). could that be the fuel pump meaning it's at least turning on?

Thanks for any help. Like I said, I'm limited it what I can do without any tools. I do have a super basic set of sockets, but with a screw-driver type handle instead of a ratchet.
Old Feb 23, 2014 | 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

there are two sections that have fuses...engine bay and under dash. It could be no spark, no fuel...have you checked for codes? I know you're limited in tools
Old Feb 23, 2014 | 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Haven't checked for codes. The station I got gas at has a garage as well so I'm going to bring the car back there so they can at least drain the fuel for me and I can try another station's gas. They'll probably check for any codes as well.

Is there anyway I can check for spark and fuel without many tools? Someone in another thread I searched for mention taking the fuel line off and see if it squirts. Would that be an option? which line is the fuel line?
Old Feb 23, 2014 | 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

So the vehicle does crank but doesn't start? Which lights are on in the dash?
Old Feb 23, 2014 | 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Check your injector resistor box they tend to rust on the little cords since they're facing up instead of horizontal like the jdm evos. Its a little silver box on the firewall with 5 cords (white maybe) coming out of it. Just a thought. I had that issue before.
Old Feb 23, 2014 | 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

^ On the engine side behind the battery? I took a look, they seem okay.

Originally Posted by AJCaron12
So the vehicle does crank but doesn't start? Which lights are on in the dash?
Correct. The lights that are on are the oil light, battery, anti-lock, e-brake, seatbelt & door ajar. Not on is the check engine light.

Any idea on the noises I mentioned in the first post?
Old Feb 23, 2014 | 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

All those lights are on with the key out of the ignition? If that's the case, you may have a bad ignition switch.
Old Feb 23, 2014 | 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Yes
Old Feb 23, 2014 | 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AJCaron12
If that's the case, you may have a bad ignition switch.
The thing is I don't remember that happening when I first went out - I think I would have noticed. Maybe I messed something up trying to crank it too much though.
Old Feb 23, 2014 | 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Don't remember what happening when you went out where ? I do not understand what you just said.
Old Feb 23, 2014 | 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

I don't remember the lights being on without the key when I first failed to star the car.
Old Feb 23, 2014 | 05:39 PM

have you tried jumping it? In that youtube video, that isnt cranking or trying to turn over. That sounds like the starter isnt getting enough juice. Try jumping it.
Old Feb 23, 2014 | 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

I have tried, it doesn't work.

The youtube video isn't me cranking, it's me connecting the negative terminal and that is the noise that happens. Nothing else is being touched.
Old Feb 23, 2014 | 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

My car makes a ticking noise when resetting the battery as well. It sounds like a solenoid ticking. Your ecu is on the passenger side by glove box. Also fuel pump doesnt pump unless car is started (starting)
Old Feb 24, 2014 | 07:06 AM

If you hear a ticking noise, then it could be a relay.

Quick Reply: Car wouldn't start last night..