Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help needed - Muse FMIC or VRSF FMIC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help needed - Muse FMIC or VRSF FMIC

Has anyone installed a 3.5" VRSF FMIC on an Evo8?
I am having issues with the passenger side attachment point. The FMIC wont fit because the 2 pipes in the image seem to be in the way. I am afraid if I use spacers it wont clear the crash beam.

Has anyone else installed this FMIC that could help? I was hoping this was an easy direct replacement but so far its not.
Thanks
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
i just bought the ets 3.5 ic. there will be no modifications and it is a direct bolt on from what i have seen/heard. does yours have to be the vsrf?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:23 AM

I already purchased the VRSF FMIC so I am hoping it will work. They dont provide instructions on the install...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
im sure it will fit. maybe some minor trimming if a must.

1-remove front bumper
2-remove crash beam
3-remove stock ic
4-do it backwards with the new ic on.
5-leak test before re-installing beam and bumper.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
its ok to use spacers. most intercoolers will come with them. I use spacers on mine which are in excess of 1 inch length. Mine is ETS, but there really isn't a whole lot of difference. Just test fit the crash beam and grind down spacers if needed
Old Feb 26, 2014, 03:31 PM

doh - The VRSF Intercoller didnt come with spacers or instructions. My problem is that if I use spacers I fear the they will push out the crash beam.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 09:03 PM

I had the same problem when installing mine, lined up like crap. I ended up buying different sized grommets and bending the mounting tabs to make it work. It was a PITA though. Honestly, its a cheaply made intercooler, wish i would have saved the money and bought an ETS. Goodluck dude
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by S_manRR9
I had the same problem when installing mine, lined up like crap. I ended up buying different sized grommets and bending the mounting tabs to make it work. It was a PITA though. Honestly, its a cheaply made intercooler, wish i would have saved the money and bought an ETS. Goodluck dude
How long ago did you purchase our FMIC? We recently revised the end tabs on our latest batch to improve the fitment issues out previous tabs had. We actually used the OEM as well as a couple of aftermarket intercoolers to make sure we had comparable lineup of the mounting tabs as well as the pipe routing in order to make the kit as universal as possible.

The OP did mention that his tabs were bent in shipping in an e-mail, I'm assuming the mis-alignment is due to damage from FedEx.

We've sold over 300 sets of these that are currently floating around on Evo 8 & 9 models including a few of our sponsored shop cars that are pushing out well over 650whp. It seems in this case the installation hardware was left out, I apologize and have offered to express ship or reimburse the customer for hardware he can purchase locally.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by VRSF Tiago
How long ago did you purchase our FMIC? We recently revised the end tabs on our latest batch to improve the fitment issues out previous tabs had. We actually used the OEM as well as a couple of aftermarket intercoolers to make sure we had comparable lineup of the mounting tabs as well as the pipe routing in order to make the kit as universal as possible.

The OP did mention that his tabs were bent in shipping in an e-mail, I'm assuming the mis-alignment is due to damage from FedEx.

We've sold over 300 sets of these that are currently floating around on Evo 8 & 9 models including a few of our sponsored shop cars that are pushing out well over 650whp. It seems in this case the installation hardware was left out, I apologize and have offered to express ship or reimburse the customer for hardware he can purchase locally.

Tiago whats going on with the 4 inch fmic?? The web site doesnt show it..
Old Feb 27, 2014, 07:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Our new 3.5" with the revised core actually out performed the old 4". We've discontinued it for now but I may re-introduce it depending on demand
Old Feb 27, 2014, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our new 3.5" with the revised core actually out performed the old 4". We've discontinued it for now but I may re-introduce it depending on demand

What's revised about new 3.5? Also is the center top mounting point still there..seen pics ..some do,some don't . Waiting til it's closer to me getting home from overseas to order. Maybe a possibility that wife already got me the I/c pipes from you. She won't tell me
Old Feb 27, 2014, 04:02 PM
Former Sponsor

We removed the top tab on all kits.

The core density, number of charge rows and internal density were all changed. This core is .5" thinner and weighs about 4lbs more than the old 4" due to the density
Old Feb 27, 2014, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coo..well depending on if she got pipes and keeping as surprise, I just need intercooler and o2 dump..shoot me price for those
Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

We removed the top tab on all kits.

The core density, number of charge rows and internal density were all changed. This core is .5" thinner and weighs about 4lbs more than the old 4" due to the density

Why did you decide to delete the top mounting tab for the revised versions?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Honestly, it isn't necessary. The two side tabs along with the piping keep the intercooler from moving, it's just added weight to the front of the nose.

We've ran our shop car for over 4 years without that top tab, not one issue

Quick Reply: Help needed - Muse FMIC or VRSF FMIC