Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Welding or working on titanium

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 04:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welding or working on titanium

Hi guys

Has anyone had experience in customising titanium parts e.g exhausts?

i would like to clear this up;

a.) Welding titanium is only possible with TIG weld… because MIG is too hot for THIN titanium metal... T or F?

b.) Welding a titanium piece of metal to stainless is also possible T of F?

The reason i ask is that i see a few titanium systems out there…

in Aust the law is Strict as HELL here…. i was under the impression the db limit was 96db… but apparently its 90DB!!!!!

for the tuners…were always screwed…. but yet its perfectly legal to have Bandidos Mc , Hells Angels Mc & Rebels' bikes with 200db+ Custom harleys blazing about….. (cops are too scared).

so to keep these things more conservative… i was intending on cutting titanium pipework out and say, weld additional resonators….

(I've been told resonators make a big difference in bringing noise down…especially the oval shaped ones.)

so can someone shed some light on this?

thanks
Old Mar 10, 2014, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

Not a welder myself but check out Weld.com and the TIG Time videos. Hope that helps.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
instead of hacking up the titanium exhaust why not just as a resonated test pipe?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Titanium cannot be welded using MIG due to the lack of Ti wire for the Mig welder.

The proper way to weld Titanium is with a TIG welder in a pure argon tent (I converted an old sand blast cabinet into a purge tint for welding Ti. Notice I say "PROPER WAY" because some people use a TIG welder with the argon turned WAY WAY WAY up to hopefully create a large fog of argon around the weld puddle. There are so many down sides to this, I won't go in depth of to say why it's a bad idea.

Titanium can be welded to stainless.... however if there are any temperature changes, or the part is under stress, it will crack due to cross contamination of the metals which causes it to be extremely brittle.

Short answer: No

The easy answer for you is to use slip joints to connect the two dissimilar metals.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hatesposers
Titanium cannot be welded using MIG due to the lack of Ti wire for the Mig welder.

The proper way to weld Titanium is with a TIG welder in a pure argon tent (I converted an old sand blast cabinet into a purge tint for welding Ti. Notice I say "PROPER WAY" because some people use a TIG welder with the argon turned WAY WAY WAY up to hopefully create a large fog of argon around the weld puddle. There are so many down sides to this, I won't go in depth of to say why it's a bad idea.

Titanium can be welded to stainless.... however if there are any temperature changes, or the part is under stress, it will crack due to cross contamination of the metals which causes it to be extremely brittle.

Short answer: No

The easy answer for you is to use slip joints to connect the two dissimilar metals.
This has also been my experience.

I've seen a company that works with titanium and it was an entire room which the welder walked into (he had on an oxygen suit) as the entire room is filled with Ar.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's the problem with Titanium... Titanium is very stable at room temperatures. However when Titanium is in a molten state, it is unstable and immediately bonds with O2. This creates titanium oxide, which is essentially "Titanium Rust" Think Iron vs Iron oxide. the oxide version of both metals is a stable powder.

Titanium Oxide is ULTRA WHITE, in fact it is used as the pigment in white paints, If you are an artist, you will be familiar with "Titanium White"

So, when welding Titanium, you need to do so in an oxygen free environment, so the Ti doesnt become TiO

(end Cliff Claven explaination)
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:41 AM
Evolving Member

hmmm, yeah doesn't sound too convincing here…

SHAME…. shame….

even with welding two flanges… with a regular TIG welder may not perform a decent weld joint …

and i don't think many exhaust shops here in Aust, stock titanium flanges…

real bummer to hear this guys