Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Review: MAP Universal 3" Inline Exhaust Damper

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2014, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Review: MAP Universal 3" Inline Exhaust Damper

Update2:

Update:

Moving the damper closer to the end of the exhaust made a huge difference. I will try to make a video soon and post a link here.

Thanks!
----------------------------------
Here is my review:

So I finally got around to installing this MAP inline exhaust damper. The installation was hard for me because I was in a hurry and didn't pay attention. The problem with an inline damper is having everything line up correctly.

I chose to install my damper in my megan resonated test pipe. The fit was just perfect, however I was not paying attention to how my exhaust lined up. I drilled the holes and secured the damper into the megan test pipe, rolled under the car and went to bolt it back to the exhaust. Well the damper was aimed straight down almost touching the ground. UGH... So I went back to the drawing board. One of my friends mentioned to line it up while one side is bolted and mark on the end where the inline will end up. This idea worked perfectly, and the rest of the installation went pretty easy. Make sure your holes are perfectly straight because any bend or resistance will not allow the damper to spin, I made sure to test so I was able to see it move before bolting it all up.

Ok... so here are the results.

Before the installation:

89 Decibels next to the muffler
58 Decibels inside the car
66 Decibels 20 feet away

After the installation and with the damper closed:

83 next to the muffler
63 20 feet away
55 inside.

These numbers were from my phone and not a professional device.

I can hear a slight difference when I open and close the damper but it's not much. The biggest difference is driving 75 -80 on the highway. The sound is much better and makes this actually worth it.

I honestly thought this damper would make my exhaust 10 times quieter but that was just not the case with my car. I am not sure what exhaust is installed on my car because I purchased the car used. My car has a huge resonator toward the back of the car and some generic round muffler and now the damper and resonated test pipe.

If anyone wants pictures please let me know.

---------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by knx2; Jun 27, 2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bummer I was hoping to get one of these to quite things up around town. Thought it would be more effective. That does not seem to be the case.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by ineedboostman
Bummer I was hoping to get one of these to quite things up around town. Thought it would be more effective. That does not seem to be the case.
It may just be that my exhaust is at it's maximum quiet level or maybe it is where I installed the damper? I have no idea. I do want to get a less restrictive exhaust after the damper and that should really make the difference.

If you do drive on the highway I would still get this as it really removes the drone.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im in the process of testing one of these for chris at MAP. My full write up will be coming soon

Your Db readings have to be way off. I can tell a major difference on my car at idle and cruising. Helps big time on the highway. Also just by looking at my AFRs, it doesnt look like it throws off the tune just cruising around town. So thats a good thing

Mine is installed right before the muffler at the rear of the car. I had it in the test pipe, but didnt like the idea of being that far upstream in the exhaust. I figured more volume to fill would be less backpressure. I almost want to say its quieter when installed before the muffler, no actual proof or data just my ears

Install can be tricky, im still not 100% happy with mine. Theres a few things i want to play around with.

All that said, my first impressions are good
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Much appreciated. One request for future reviews please indicate if aftermarket cams are installed.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by iD33
Much appreciated. One request for future reviews please indicate if aftermarket cams are installed.
My car is a high compressionbuilt stroker motor (head and block) with gsc s2 cams
Old Mar 15, 2014, 08:46 AM

I'll have to try moving it to the back of my exhaust and see if it makes a difference. I just figured the damper would make a bigger difference being installed before my resonator and muffler.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by knx2
I'll have to try moving it to the back of my exhaust and see if it makes a difference. I just figured the damper would make a bigger difference being installed before my resonator and muffler.
Honestly i did too

Yesterday i took my resonator out and installed the damper before the muffler. Even with the resonator missing, id say my car is still quieter or damn close to the same level with it installed before when it was in my test pipe. It was a highly restrictive resonator too (louvered core) so it had good impact of exhaust noise and drone.

I run a buschur exhaust, the car is also a big turbo car. So its much louder and has a diffent tone then a normal stock manifold/turbo evo . I honestly have tried everything to quiet this car down without killing my power output. This is the only thing i have been happy with at this point
Old Mar 15, 2014, 02:56 PM

Sounds interesting. Might be worth a closer look into. Thanks for the review.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 02:33 PM

I want to buy this damper too, but I'm also thinking if I should install in the resonated test pipe or at the end of the muffler, also does it make the car much quitter at cold start or at idle?
My car literally can wake up the whole neighborhood at cold start, my mods listed at my signature.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

It makes it quieter on startup and cold idle and mellows out the tone

I like mine better before the muffler, its out of the way and you dont have to worry about it being close to the driveshaft.

Also, i was worried about backpressure on mine since its a built high compression motor, so i figured the more exhaust volume before the damper, the less backpressure. Just a theory, not sure if it works like that or not, but my AFRs seem normal when cruising

Last edited by EvoJoeIX; Mar 31, 2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 08:09 AM

The problem is I'm going to change my ETS V2 Quite to HKS super turbo muffler, so i'll have to place it at the test pipe, since the HKS mid pipe spilt in Y at the end of it to connect to the muffler, maybe I can use 2 of those .

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
It makes it quieter on startup and cold idle and mellows out the tone

I like mine better before the muffler, its out of the way and you dont have to worry about it being close to the driveshaft.

Also, i was worried about backpressure on mine since its a built high compression motor, so i figured the more exhaust volume before the damper, the less backpressure. Just a theory, not sure if it works like that or not, but my AFRs seem normal when cruising
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I still recommend this.

http://www.maperformance.com/map-cat...ution-8-9.html

Another member and I had MAP build this for us before it was offered online and I haven't had a single problem with it in the 16k miles of daily use. It's very quiet when closed but simply isn't made to be driven hard at high RPM due to the 1.5" bypass but it's a click of a button away from opening the valve. It would be interesting to hear a clip of this and the damper compared.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Im sure that muffler is a bit quieter then the damper for sure
Old Apr 1, 2014, 08:21 PM

don't forget that dB isn't a linear measurement...6 dB changes can be significant. You shouldn't expect to see readings cut in half or anything that extreme

Quick Reply: Review: MAP Universal 3" Inline Exhaust Damper