Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Yet another what oil should I use thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use brad penn this is good oil!!!!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I use Canola because it makes my engine smell good.

Kidding aside, everyone is going to tell you something different and have their reasons for the pros & cons. When I did my picking I looked for something with good amounts of zinc & phosphorous because, from what I understand, it's supposed to be better for the turbo. Just my opinion, & I'm not claiming to be an expert. Good luck.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:59 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by srt4killer
I use brad penn this is good oil!!!!
Do you have any data to back-up this claim?

Otherwise that post might as well say that you run bacon grease.

No data, no care.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
Great read! I read most of it. I'll need to finish the bottom portion (after the rankings) to come to a conclusion from this article. Fascinating stuff!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

No data, no care.
Motul. It was the most expensive one I could find. Plus it gets a lot of screen time in Gran Turismo 6. There's your data.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I was feeling a little despondent. Now I know why. I needed another oil thread to read.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 06:05 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The reason you don't get good data is because no one takes the time to know about the chemical composition of the Oil's available out there. I mean which base stock group oil is being used, what are the comparo specs such as TBN, flash points in product A vs B.

About base stock they range in group 1-5 , 3 is mostly what you will buy at the store like Mobil, castrol ect....
Group 4 & 5 is an 100% synthetic, AMSOIL, Motul etc. ..
Old Mar 15, 2014, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Leonthefaded
I used to say the same thing. I used Mobil1 for years and years. Then I met Mario a local AMSOil dealer, after I inquired about it. I tested it out and was sold. Everyone prefers their own brands or things they are comfortable with. I wouldn't call it brainwashing though.

Humor the rest of us on your suggestion?
I run 10w 30 amsoil. Great stuff. Forced induction I will never use anything different then amsoil. Took the valve cover off the other day to put a new gasket on and the head was increadibly clean. Motor s running like a champ with 158k on her with great compression across the board On my e36 BMW m3 motor runnin syn Castrol, NA so no need for the amsoil now if and when I go supercharge I will switch to amsoil Not brain washed like u just super happy with the protection it provides our high boost motors
Old Mar 15, 2014, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Hitmachine101
I run 10w 30 amsoil. Great stuff. Forced induction I will never use anything different then amsoil. Took the valve cover off the other day to put a new gasket on and the head was increadibly clean. Motor s running like a champ with 158k on her with great compression across the board
Nothing you wouldn't and folks haven't seen with syn's. So moot point here
Old Mar 15, 2014, 07:52 AM

No data, no care.
All the proof I needed was in my built 560 HP srt4 with 15,000 miles, when we pulled it apart because a boomba tb bolt came off and sucked into my motor! The coated bearings looked brand new!!!
Old Mar 15, 2014, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

There are more than enough threads that go into detail as to what oil you should use.. Youre gonna hear either brad penn, amsoil z-rod (i personally use this) valvoline vr1, shell rotella, and a few others.. find whatever is easier to access and use it..
Old Mar 15, 2014, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BkzProblem
There are more than enough threads that go into detail as to what oil you should use.. Youre gonna hear either brad penn, amsoil z-rod (i personally use this) valvoline vr1, shell rotella, and a few others.. find whatever is easier to access and use it..
Ive recently been trying the Zrod, my motor does like it better than the previous oil I had in it. There maybe a few other factors as to why as well, it could possibly be that this oil is on the thicker side of 30wt compared to the other oil. But since I have no data, other than a good UOA, and actual video of idle comparison before and after, Im not gonna be promoting anything. Im happy with it and is doing what it needs to do though.

The "which oil is best?" topic on any forum seems to always be a hot topic. I guess the statement should now be said, "don't talk about religion, politics, or OIL."

There is no best, just a better option for your current needs. There is no best car. If I need to haul a 18k trailer, the best option is not a GTR. Who makes the best tool? Not even that is accurate, likely the best tool is also one you can have replaced quickly if it breaks. About the only certain thing I will say what is best-- the best woman-- big ***** and doesn't talk much.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:16 AM

i only use AMSoil
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:50 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I give up.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I give up.