Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Yet another what oil should I use thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2014, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TommiM

This is the thread i was looking for good read, personally I run Amsoil 15W-50 get a hold of Andy I think his user is Apagan if you want to inquire about amsoil. Its all a matter of preference if youre built def run something w. High zinc content.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leonthefaded
I think I stepped on a landmine here. Allow me to correct myself.

"AMSOil in my opinion is by far the best choice over many leading competitors, however the use and interval may be application dependant"
gsrboi's response is because it seems like Amsoil has alot of fanboys based on their sales model. Seems like everyone and their mother is a Amsoil dealer and they always quote stuff about their oil that sounds like its right out of a Amsoil press release/product knowledge sheet/propaganda.

For the record I use the ZDDP/ZROD from amsoil, 20w50. And yes this is a loaded question. Its been asked tons of times before. Thats why you are going to get some smart alec responses.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Mar 15, 2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was always told if you drink a glass of each, you won't be able to tell the difference
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik…
I was always told if you drink a glass of each, you won't be able to tell the difference
Probably the best post in any oil thread to date. I'd say this 100% accurate.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 02:34 PM

I've had great luck with rotella t6 in almost all my vehicles. But this is totally a loaded question.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
gsrboi's response is because it seems like Amsoil has alot of fanboys based on their sales model. Seems like everyone and their mother is a Amsoil dealer and they always quote stuff about their oil that sounds like its right out of a Amsoil press release/product knowledge sheet/propaganda.

For the record I use the ZDDP/ZROD from amsoil, 20w50. And yes this is a loaded question. Its been asked tons of times before. Thats why you are going to get some smart alec responses.

I cant believe it. I actually came up with that myself formulated from my God's Honest opinion to avoid further ridicule. In any case It still answers the question presented by the OP.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
Read that several times. Very informative.

I also like Amzoil in all my vehicles, although I use Oil Extreme in my Evo,
Old Mar 15, 2014, 06:05 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Ag4G63
It's all preference really if you are using good quality synthetic oil. If you want in depth oil analysis head over to Bob is the oil guy.

I use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. Love the stuff.
same here. tested and true oil. i've no issues. no abnormal wear on my 123k engine. map 2.5 JB and so far so good.

AmsOil would give me a warm, fuzzy feeling.. but it just costs too much.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I use liqui moli 10 w60 synthetic in my built evo, that oil is what is recomended in the e92 m3, and its made in Germany, its formulated for high rpm, and extreme boost.
yes i know, this is left field lol.
but it works for me.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vtec fever
I use liqui moli 10 w60 synthetic in my built evo, that oil is what is recomended in the e92 m3, and its made in Germany, its formulated for high rpm, and extreme boost.
yes i know, this is left field lol.
but it works for me.

This is the point I was making. In your example, I assume your needing to run a thicker oil due to bearing clearances, so a 10w60 works better for you than say, a 10w30. For someone, like me, that is still on the oem shortblock a 10w60 does not make sense. That's why there is no ONE best oil. Maybe that's why folks keep posting that question on online forums, they just don't understand there is no one best for everything, just the better option for your needs/setup.

I have never tried Liqui Moly, but I have to assume it is a good oil as per our literature Mercedes Benz approves their 60 weght lineup for their AMG, SLS, and SLR cars.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik…

Maybe you would be able to taste the difference, idk. Have you tried it, or again is this internet hearsay?

no data, no care...
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:16 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Blackstone oil analysis results or GTFO!

Old Mar 16, 2014, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by TommiM
Maybe you would be able to taste the difference, idk. Have you tried it, or again is this internet hearsay?

no data, no care...
I don't think I would be able to taste anything after the first sip, lol.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Would it be any different if a representative from any competing brand were to upsell their product? Nope.

How are the front counter guys at NAPA or the pretty much inexistent sales floor employees at Walmart better?

Amsoil isn't the only brand on this board with groupies as well....Yet people seem to be okay with many other brands that do.

Why do people buy ARC or Takata?

While some may be turned off by Apagans more aggressive sales(doesn't seem to stop people from going to a dealership and buying their car), he does know quite a bit about not just his products but oil in general. Whether or not it's always agreeable is obviously up for debate. (I do certainly enjoying reading the debates as well so don't get me wrong here gsrboi as I do enjoy your posts bud) However looking past that he does provide a level of customer service that you will never get at any of the stores I mentioned above. In addition he is a vendor of this board and pays his dues to help keep this community forum running, while the other options do not.

While I'm not always a MLM fan myself, the reality is that how much a Amsoil rep puts in his sales will determine the amount he can make. Where as someone at NAPA or Walmart will pretty much make minimum wage, doesn't give a damn about you and unless he/she sucks the tit.... they probably will hardly advance within the company or even get a mentionable pay raise. I personally, would rather go to where my money spent is much more appreciated, helps the vendor make money, the service provided to me is excellent and where the vendor helps support this community.

From oil to parts, there are plenty of options both in the higher end market and the lower end. There are those that want the best bang for your buck and those that want the best money can buy and/or the extra fit and finish. Obviously we will always have the debate if the claims can be backed up by factual data but let's not kid ourselves in thinking that buying from Walmart is exactly a better thing either.

I personally like trying different brands and funny thing for us here in Alaska... pricing for Amsoil is on par with off the shelf thanks to Apagan. I have to go thru my company to be able to beat it otherwise. However, I'll continue to change up brands to send to Blackstone for my own personal recordings. (Currently on Valvoline, Amsoil previously, Rotella before then)

Last edited by EvolvedAK; Mar 17, 2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by golgo13
Anyone have experience with Prolong addative that he mentions?

Quick Reply: Yet another what oil should I use thread