Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Yet another what oil should I use thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 08:45 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Trini Evo
Anyone have experience with Prolong addative that he mentions?
he says it helps with wear protection, but can't speak for any other aspect. too risky for me.

my regular oil does great as it is. i like the zinc content in it.

Last edited by kaj; Mar 17, 2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvolvedAK
Would it be any different if a representative from any competing brand were to upsell their product? Nope.

How are the front counter guys at NAPA or the pretty much inexistent sales floor employees at Walmart better?
I agree 100% . Guess I was pointing out the obvious. Despite that I still run it. I used to run Motul and before that ENEOS.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone have experience with Prolong addative that he mentions?

I used to run that WAY back in the days when that stuff first came out and you had to order it over the mail-- yes the early days of the internet. I ran it in my C4 corvette at the time, stuff was ok I guess. Nothing magical happened so Im sure its just like duralube, Zmax, or similar stuff out there. Save your money.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
he says it helps with wear protection, but can't speak for any other aspect. too risky for me.

my regular oil does great as it is. i like the zinc content in it.
Originally Posted by TommiM
I used to run that WAY back in the days when that stuff first came out and you had to order it over the mail-- yes the early days of the internet. I ran it in my C4 corvette at the time, stuff was ok I guess. Nothing magical happened so Im sure its just like duralube, Zmax, or similar stuff out there. Save your money.
Yea I've never used an addative, but he claimed that it increased wear protection. I change my oil frequently anyway, so I'll take your advice and skip it. This is my first Evo so was curious if anyone else is using the stuff. Thanks
Old Mar 18, 2014, 09:55 AM

I'm a fan of Brad Penn for turbocharged/gasoline applications. I run 20w50, but that all depends on your applicastion and climate.

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
gsrboi's response is because it seems like Amsoil has alot of fanboys based on their sales model. Seems like everyone and their mother is a Amsoil dealer and they always quote stuff about their oil that sounds like its right out of a Amsoil press release/product knowledge sheet/propaganda.
Interesting sales model indeed. I always thought they were missing out by not utilizing the standard 3-step distribution process. But maybe I was wrong... By making everybody a dealer, everybody is now an unpaid salesman for the product. Free labor/advertising. Way to go Amsoil!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:09 AM
kaj

Yea I've never used an addative, but he claimed that it increased wear protection. I change my oil frequently anyway, so I'll take your advice and skip it. This is my first Evo so was curious if anyone else is using the stuff. Thanks
He also mentioned the possibility of increased corrosion. Not worth it, imo.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 05:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This is the point I was making. In your example, I assume your needing to run a thicker oil due to bearing clearances, so a 10w60 works better for you than say, a 10w30. For someone, like me, that is still on the oem shortblock a 10w60 does not make sense. That's why there is no ONE best oil. Maybe that's why folks keep posting that question on online forums, they just don't understand there is no one best for everything, just the better option for your needs/setup.

I have never tried Liqui Moly, but I have to assume it is a good oil as per our literature Mercedes Benz approves their 60 weght lineup for their AMG, SLS, and SLR cars.
Yes my builder said i had to get somthing higher than a 10w30 he recommended 20w50 but in the winter its takes longer for motor to get up to temp, a 10w60 has a wider operating range that the 20w50, so in all seasons i can be worry free, if it was not a good oil it would not be recommended for these high performance german cars.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 06:11 PM

IMHO, if your not running a built motor any good synthetic 5-20 - 10-30 is fine

if your running a built motor you run brad penn.

but you cant run brad penn if your still under warranty you will void it, its not a full synthetic its a blend: FYI
Old Mar 18, 2014, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock motors I've used 10-30 amsoil in and they work great. High hp stock motors I use 10-40 with a lot of zinc. Built motors, IMO anything over .0023-.0022 clearances need a heavier oil with a good amount of zinc.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 420a-t
Stock motors I've used 10-30 amsoil in and they work great. High hp stock motors I use 10-40 with a lot of zinc. Built motors, IMO anything over .0023-.0022 clearances need a heavier oil with a good amount of zinc.

Nice to see that you at least explained why you chose it instead of other posts just stating it with no supporting data as to why.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jiGGypiGGy
IMHO, if your not running a built motor any good synthetic 5-20 - 10-30 is fine

if your running a built motor you run brad penn.

but you cant run brad penn if your still under warranty you will void it, its not a full synthetic its a blend: FYI

Ever wonder if its that great of an oil why would it void a warranty? What possible circumstance could that oil ever do that Mitsu might need to do an UOA on it... just throwing that out there.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 07:46 AM
kaj

Ever wonder if its that great of an oil why would it void a warranty? What possible circumstance could that oil ever do that Mitsu might need to do an UOA on it... just throwing that out there.
because manufacturers look for ANY reason to void a warranty. they developed using a certain oil and can't vouch for others.

so.. i'm sure it's been asked and i apoligize in advance, but what is the drawback to running an oil that is a bit too thick? i ask because i am building my engine soon.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
so.. i'm sure it's been asked and i apoligize in advance, but what is the drawback to running an oil that is a bit too thick? i ask because i am building my engine soon.
Define "too thick".

In a warm climate and in a performance application, there really is no measureable drawback to running thicker oil. Just keep it within reason...
Old Mar 19, 2014, 08:08 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by 99gst_racer
Define "too thick".

In a warm climate and in a performance application, there really is no measureable drawback to running thicker oil. Just keep it within reason...
well, i currently run a simple 5w30 because all is stock. i just mean a heavier oil such as the Brad Penn listed in previous posts. i can't imagine any built engine would have as tight of tolerances as OEM, so i plan to go heavier.
my weather here is a low of about 35-40 in the winter and high of 108* or so in the summer.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

I ordered VR1 full synthetic 20-50 from pep boys online I ordered 10 bottles and they sent me 12 with a discount. Cant beat that

Quick Reply: Yet another what oil should I use thread