Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

fuel line length

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2014, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel line length

I've got a clog in my fuel feed line somewhere. I just installed an aeromotive 340 and the car barely runs. I can't get the fuel pressure above 10 psi and the car keeps dying. I have a full voltage rewire kit so power isn't the issue. I jumped the pump at the hanger with full battery voltage and put a hose on the feed outlet and the other end of the hose into a gas can and it came out like a hose. Then I connected the line and pulled it off at the fuel rail and its barely coming out at all... So my question is I'm going to replace the feed line from the tank to the rail with -8an Russell proclassic line but I need to know the length of hose I should get. I think I will also replace the return line with -6an Russell as well. Jegs sells lenths of 20 feet and 10 feet and 6 feet. How long guys do the lines need to be and is there a convenient fitting for the stock hanger feed connector? The return is obviously easy because it just clamps on. Thanks again for any help you can offer.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According to RTM Racing, you should need 14 feet for feed, 12 feet for return.

https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/prod...at=1016&page=1
Old Mar 15, 2014, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome that's exactly what I needed to know. Does Russell make a -8an push on clip like our cars have stock on the feed line?
Old Mar 15, 2014, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Nevermind that link had all the info I needed in it. Thanks again for that link.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
10ft is enough to make it from the top of the tank up to the fuel rail with a decent bit of slack. You'll need the push on EFI fitting to fit the stock housing.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

What size is the push on fitting? -8an feed line so -8an to -6an adapter to -6an push on fitting?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/rus-644133

This one will do exactly what you want, -8an to 3/8.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks man thats almost exactly what I ordered yesterday from summit along with a 120 degree fitting -6an hose to -6 an fitting, I got the same part but -6an. I decided to go -6an from tank and -6an return. For my power level -6an will be just fine. I did get it to fire up last night but it would start starving for fuel within 10 seconds then afr goes all the way lean and dies out. Is there anything else that could cause back pressure on the fuel line and starve it for fuel? I installed an aeromotive 340 when this all started, then when I put my walbro back in it did the same thing even tho the walbro worked perfect when I pulled it out. Gah I need my DD back like now!!! Lol I'm starting to think the aero sucks butt. Prior to the swap there would be times where I would pull up to a stop light and the car would go full lean at idle then if I festher the pedal it would jump back up to 14.7. So I think there already was an issue with the fuel getting to the rail. Plus both walbros I've had were LOUD. Not the regular whine but super loud whine like it had to try so hard to get fuel flowing. Something is and has been causing back pressure for awhile now. Clogged internal hanger filter?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Another quick question. Do you have to drop the tank to replace the lines or can you fish them up the side of the tank? I assume I can just fish them up the side and I bought the Russell hangers to hang the line up. I was going to ziptie them to the stock lines but decided that wasn't good enough so I got the fuel line hangers. And I'm going to pull off the stock lines all together now.

Last edited by jrainwater; Mar 16, 2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

It takes a good bit of fishing. I recommend using a friend to either shine a flashlight to help see when the line comes up from underneath the car
Old Mar 18, 2014, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for your help Evo8426. Only person to answer my questions. My new lines are showing up tomorrow so ill be installing those all day lol. I did figure something out about the aeromotive 340. It's a great pump and I was able to get my car running again last night finally. It turns out the pump outlet is about 2mm-4mm longer then the stock or a walbro pump. Last night I put a large oring on the pump then the plastic fitting THEN the stock rubber "hat" on the pump and shoved that thing into the hanger as hard as I possibly could and bam it fired up and I have plenty of fuel pressure now. I guess it just wasn't going far enough into the hanger to build pressure and keep the car running. On a good side note I wanted to upgrade my old and corroded stock fuel hardlines anyways!!!