Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stock computer and passing inspection question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2014, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock computer and passing inspection question

So I've had my evo a while now and I've just been wondering which exact rom or tephra mod deal I should be uploading to the ecu to clear all the codes and have everything set to pass. The car is a 05 Evo RS with no EGR or Cat.
This has been covered before but even the tephra mod thread is a bit confusing. My car has been tuned using ecu flash I'm just not 100% what to use and upload being as the information in these threads seem to be years old.

Forgive me in advance and I have used the search button lol. Thanks guys. Any help would be appreciated. It's time to pass inspection and nearly impossible to take everything I've done off just to make all the sensors say ready.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:24 PM

I am in the same situation, in a couple years I will be needing to renew emissions testing. Over here in Oregon they use a mirror to see if we even have a cat (they look for the heat shields). I currently have stock ecu w/ testpipe and o2 sensor with no spacer. I'm aiming to get an o2 sensor spacer so it doesn't pop up the SES. I will also try and get a tune and clear the codes, but im not sure if you could do both since I would think that the spacer would fix it and make it harder for the tuner to find which codes to clear. I'm assuming you don't have an o2 sensor because you stated that you dont have egr
Old Mar 17, 2014, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...us-mrfred.html

You did see that thread right? My friend christian did a good job on this write up.

To sum it up you need to add the obd inspection section to your ecuflash for your ROM. You need to find your rom id or switch to a tephra rom and then when you go to ecu flash there will be an additional section that you did not have before for inspection.

I have it on my car. My cel does come on sometimes but all i do is clear the code as i pull in for my inspection and it gets plugged in and passes.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:03 PM

[/QUOTE] I am in the same situation, in a couple years I will be needing to renew emissions testing. Over here in Oregon they use a mirror to see if we even have a cat (they look for the heat shields). I currently have stock ecu w/ testpipe and o2 sensor with no spacer. I'm aiming to get an o2 sensor spacer so it doesn't pop up the SES. I will also try and get a tune and clear the codes, but im not sure if you could do both since I would think that the spacer would fix it and make it harder for the tuner to find which codes to clear. I'm assuming you don't have an o2 sensor because you stated that you dont have egr [/QUOTE]

Yea man its killing me. I;ve gotta get it done man. And I'm too far in for me to go back now.

Originally Posted by EatSleepBoost
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...us-mrfred.html

You did see that thread right? My friend christian did a good job on this write up.

To sum it up you need to add the obd inspection section to your ecuflash for your ROM. You need to find your rom id or switch to a tephra rom and then when you go to ecu flash there will be an additional section that you did not have before for inspection.

I have it on my car. My cel does come on sometimes but all i do is clear the code as i pull in for my inspection and it gets plugged in and passes.
Thank you so much man. I'm going to read this whole thing now and act on it. I'll also post back my current ROM ID if I can find it and hopefully this straightforward thread can stick around.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:20 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
i updated the definitions and checked all the "correct" boxes, but failed in CA due to my rear 02 not registering a readiness code. i have yet to find a solid answer on how to pass with a tune in CA.

so.. i had to swap injectors and flash back to my stock ROM. bleh.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^try keeping the rear o2 working and adding a spacer to it where it screws into the exhaust pipe. I did this for years and passed emissions

Edit. Just google cel fix. You will see what im talking about
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:43 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
^try keeping the rear o2 working and adding a spacer to it where it screws into the exhaust pipe. I did this for years and passed emissions

Edit. Just google cel fix. You will see what im talking about
anti-fowler yeah.. i just didn't have time to get one before smog LOL

i ended up just swapping the stock exhaust along with the injectors, etc.

Last edited by kaj; Mar 17, 2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Swapping to the stock exhaust and injectors instead of drilling out an antifouler? So so so much more work...
Old Mar 17, 2014, 03:05 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by jrainwater
Swapping to the stock exhaust and injectors instead of drilling out an antifouler? So so so much more work...
it's a long, long story LOL.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 03:16 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
you need the rear 02 eliminator patch.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

You don't even need that. I'm in Illinois and they are almost as bad as California. Antifouler and u r good. I've passed for years using this technique.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 06:06 PM
kaj

i can't wait until CA just ditches the sniffer and goes strictly OBD-II. i keep hearing it's supposed be happening.. but have yet to see it.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Illinois doesn't use the sniffer unless your car seems really suspicious. I suppose you won't pass the smell test in California with a fouler on your rear o2. Pun intended.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:12 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by jrainwater
Illinois doesn't use the sniffer unless your car seems really suspicious. I suppose you won't pass the smell test in California with a fouler on your rear o2. Pun intended.
Lol. And no. Not even close.