Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Brake Fluids??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Fluids??

I realize this morning that my brake fluid is running a little low, not to the minimum line that is. So my question is should i buy the mitsu genuine fluid to top if off or can i get a different brand like Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid and top it off? I know that there are plenty of thread out there about brake fluids, but just wanted to know can you mixed different brand with oem fluids? thanx guys
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can use different brands just make sure its dot 3 or dot 4.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Assuming no leaks in the system, the brake fluid being low could be because the pads are getting worn. If, for example, you were to replace them with new ones, since they would be thicker the pistons wouldn't be pressed out as much, so the fluid level in the reservoir would be higher.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
You technically could just top it off. However brake fluid is extremely hydroscopic (absorbs water even from just the atmosphere). It is the water in your fluids that boils when you brake causing a soft pedal. when you top off thr fluid, you immediately contaminate the new fluid. So if you fluid is clean and you are just low, go ahead and top it off. However if you have cheap fluid in there dont top it off with expensive fluid as all you are doing isnruining good fluid.

If it were me, i would make sure i have no leaks, and if i still have lots of life on my pads before i top off the brake fluid. Make sure you dont need to Repair/replace/flush and fill before just toping it off
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:36 AM

You can use different brands just make sure its dot 3 or dot 4.
+1, but if you are picky/paranoid...get DOT 4 lol.

Just be sure not to mix DOT 3/DOT 4 with DOT 5.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

thanks alot guys
Old Mar 17, 2014, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Top it off with any dot 3 or dot 4, doesn't matter. If the level drops again then obviously you have a leak to address, if not its likely your pads are worn and may need to be replaced soon.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jjk23
+1, but if you are picky/paranoid...get DOT 4 lol.

Just be sure not to mix DOT 3/DOT 4 with DOT 5.
It's not just Mixing... Do not put DOT 5 in any system not designed for it. Dot 5 is a silicone based brake fluid which will destroy the typical seals in a system not designed for it.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So, are our Evo brake systems compatible with DOT 5 fluids? Can we run the stuff? I have been wanting to go with Motul RBF 600, which is a DOT 5 fluid, I think, when I go to braided brake lines soon.

Last edited by sparky; Mar 18, 2014 at 04:44 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Motul RBF600 is DOT4.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
So, are our Evo brake systems compatible with DOT 5 fluids? Can we run the stuff? I have been wanting to go with Motul RBF 600, which is a DOT 5 fluid, I think, when I go to braided brake lines soon.
Dot 5 is not the same type as Dot 5.1

You can mix Dot 3,4, and 5.1 respectively. Dot 5 is silicone based fluid, not compatible with our cars. Hell, Does anything really use Dot 5 anymore, I don't get why its even still around, lol. Isnt this stuff actually only used for certain classic cars that were designed for it?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=TommiM;11148664] Dot 5 is not the same type as Dot 5.1

You can mix Dot 3,4, and 5.1 respectively. Dot 5 is silicone based fluid, not compatible with our cars. QUOTE]

Correct

Originally Posted by TommiM
Hell, Does anything really use Dot 5 anymore, I don't get why its even still around, lol. Isnt this stuff actually only used for certain classic cars that were designed for it?
Few cars come from the manufacturer with DOT 5. however it is not a problem with the fluid. DOT 5 fluid is fantastic!! It does not boil, its not hydroscopic, it lubricates as it works, and it does not damage paint or finishes if spilled

The down sides are that it is expensive, and difficult to obtain. Theres also a chance some idiot will top off your fluid with DOT 5 as they are trying to do you a favor.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:13 PM
Former Sponsor

We often suggest reviewing the manufacturer's data/spec sheets for their respective products as we find it can be useful when researching various products. We've provided a link to the Motul RBF600 data spec sheet below:

http://www.motul.com/system/product_..._Line_(GB).pdf

Please feel free to ask any questions you have regarding the Motul line, we're here to help!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
[QUOTE=hatesposers;11148963]
Originally Posted by TommiM
Dot 5 is not the same type as Dot 5.1

You can mix Dot 3,4, and 5.1 respectively. Dot 5 is silicone based fluid, not compatible with our cars. QUOTE]

Correct

Few cars come from the manufacturer with DOT 5. however it is not a problem with the fluid. DOT 5 fluid is fantastic!! It does not boil, its not hydroscopic, it lubricates as it works, and it does not damage paint or finishes if spilled

The down sides are that it is expensive, and difficult to obtain. Theres also a chance some idiot will top off your fluid with DOT 5 as they are trying to do you a favor.
I just wanted to point out the word you are looking for is actually hygroscopic ... with a G. It's a common mistake.

Anyways, you are toping the res. off with fluid, any DOT 3 or 4 fluid off the self, no need for totally awesome brake fluid because it actually is not in your brake system... heat comes from your calipers, it heats up the fluid in the calipers and the brake hoses.... it does not get to your master cylinder or surely your reservoir.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

This.............. no good reason only bad ones.

Originally Posted by Raptord
Assuming no leaks in the system, the brake fluid being low could be because the pads are getting worn. If, for example, you were to replace them with new ones, since they would be thicker the pistons wouldn't be pressed out as much, so the fluid level in the reservoir would be higher.
By a topping off the fluid with used pads you essentially negate the brake warning light on the dash. This is why people end up buying new rotors. See myth #6. http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

Quick Reply: Brake Fluids??