Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Defi Gauge expert needed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defi Gauge expert needed

Hey guys, so I bought all the sending units and the Defi advance control unit to get the gauges working that came with the Evo when I bought it. (they were completely inoperable). Everything was going great until I went to plug everything in and found that I had bought the Advance control unit 2. Turns out the unit does not work with "older" Defi BF gauges like I have. As far as I can tell the only thing that changed was the harness from the control unit output that goes to the first gauge in the series. It has a slightly different harness and the wires are in a different order. (see attached, Control unit harness is on the left, old BF gauge meter wire is on the right)

My question is:
Can I just get an old meter wire like the one that plugs into my BF gauges and splice it onto the control unit meter harness, matching up the wire colors? I have already emailed Defi but because they are in Japan, I figured I would as the forum and see if anyone had any suggestions.
Thanks.Defi Gauge expert needed-20140318_211046.jpg
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:18 PM

Don't quote me 100% but if you have all the same color wires, then I don't see why there would be an issue to splice into it.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 06:17 PM

Well I heard back from the Tech at Defi, with the bad news...
The unit 2 is not compatible with the old gauges. Completely different electrical signal, so cutting and splicing will not work So I need to purchase a Unit I (discontinued).
So is anyone looking for a slightly used Defi Advance Control Unit (II) DF07703?
by slightly used I mean I installed the wiring harness into the car with the quick splices that came with the unit. Everything else is in order aside from the nice plastic bags some of the parts came in. Please PM me if your interested. I have a pay pall account and I will also post something in the for sale section