Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Be smart when trading for a used car!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to be that guy, but putting diesel oil in a boosted car isnt uncommon. it has alot of minerals that help extend turbo life. and sometimes its just plain better oil.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by shadow_X
Hey I don't know where to put this alert. But anyways. There's a user named skeero. He has a boosted s2000 wanting to trade for a evo. Now this was done under my user name for my brother. He drove about 8 hours to meet him to do the trade. My brother gets in the s2000 and not even 5 mins of driving. The car knocks!!! So than he Calls me for advice. I tell him to get his evo back period. So than they meet up again to discuss why this motor is knocking. Skeero says all these excuses saying he might of done it. But really? In 5 mins!!!. So they go to the store and get oil because the s2000 had none. But guess what, he thinks my brother is a dummy he puts diesel thick oil in it... Hmmmm I wonder why. We have more to add to this. Mods I don't kno where to put this thread so please move it if you need too.

My brother is on his way back. He has all the conversations between them. But please guys be aware of this trade. I was wondering why this s2000 seem so good to be true for trade on a stock evo...
Alright lets set the facts straight.

#1 Almost every boosted s2000 uses Shell Rotella T6 15-40

#2 The car was NOT knocking when he test drove it, I even let the car idle before turning it off for 1-2 minutes since I won't buy a turbo timer.

#3 The car was not tuned for 93 octane, and your brother knew that. I told him to get E85 in it and then switch the maps and beat the **** out of it. The car was only tuned to make a trip on 93, was not tuned to hit boost. Period.

#4 When your brothers friend test drove the car, he came back and asked why the car shot smoke from under the hood. The car had two 14 pound springs in the wastegate. If you know anything at all about a boosted car you should know the wastegates will not open at 4 or 5 pounds.

#5 Your brother knew the turbo oil fitting had a leak. As I pointed it out and told him I could not find one locally to replace it, he said that's fine he can get one when he gets back. I told him to check the oil whenever he stops for gas.

#6 You want to post a buyer beware when I went back? Lol. I stand behind the **** I sell, so I was going back. Generally trades are as is. I pointed out anything and everything that was wrong with the car. The car had oil in it when it left my hands. Your brother is not being honest with how the car was driven.

#7 Also I have many people to vouch on this car not knocking or ever knocking. It spun cylinder 4 bearing. Also other people from this forum have ridden in the car / raced the car.

So moral of the story your brothers friend beat on a car that wasn't supposed to be beat on with 93 in the tank. If it had E85 the car would have been fine... You really should know what actually happened before talking ****.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
When we were looking to buy my wife's STi (It had a GT35R rotated kit on it) we took it to a friends shop and they did a compression test. It was low in one cylinder. Seller swore I was lying (He was selling it for a friend).

Picked up a bone stock STi after that
I think I was looking at that car (if it's in the GTA) but decided to pass since it had stock internals lol
Old Mar 26, 2014, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by EvolvedAK
Never understood why people don't do this. Couple hundred bucks that can save you thousands.

Rotella T6?
Yes rotella T6. I won't use Royal Purple, most turbo companies void warranties on turbos that have seen royal purple oil.

I would have been perfectly fine with a compression test or leakdown test. If he would have said something I would have brought my snap-on compression tester and leakdown tester. Granted we wouldn't have been able to do a leakdown without a compressor..

I had nothing to hide. And still don't.

Another thing he fails to mention is. I'm being forced into a bigger car, they left myself and my 3 month pregnant girlfriend stranded. I made it clear and he seemed to understand not to hit boost until he got e85 in the car.. He claims it's hard not to hit boost to speed up.. How can I make a 9 hour car ride without hitting boost one time? Maybe because it's a 6766, it's laggy.

I just wanted an evo, I didn't care if it was bone stock or gutted 9 second car.

I didn't have to go back, so why are you being such a dick? I didn't have to trade back, I could have called the police and they'd told you tough luck. Your brother broke my car, and I'm left to deal with it.

Once again, how many people think a wastegate opens up at 4-5psi? I've never seen a wastegate dump at that amount with a 14 pound spring... lol.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 08:58 AM

I can vouch for this guy and his car. I have seen it in person and have riden in it. I am a somewhat reputable person on here and I can say his car was strong when I rode in it only a week before he tried to trade it. Knowing he was tuned for e85 and beating on it while running on a 93 drive only tune is stupid on the other guys part. The car was NEVER knocking when I was in it. And I know a thing or two about tuning and if the 93 tune had injectors decently scaled and timing slightly retardrd he would have never experienced knock as long as he stayed out of boost like he was told to.

Skeevo was at least nice enough to bring the Evo back after the retard did exactly what he was told not to do.

Last edited by Anubis18; Mar 26, 2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:14 AM

Never buy a car with rod knock.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:16 AM

Two sides to every story
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

seller seems legit
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
seller seems legit...he OBVIOUSLY knows more than the OP
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The seller had no responsibility to return the car. You're lucky he was that cool. Driving 8 hours to pick up a used car that you've never seen is just asking for trouble.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:22 AM

Who's seen a honda motor that lasted 600 miles knocking? lol.

Plus who really goes and trades back for a car with a blown motor? If I knew it was going to blow my phone would've been turned off. I stand behind every part and car I sell. If I would have known something was wrong with the car it would've been fixed. I couldn't get the feed fitting in time and he knew about that.

Truthfully how many of you would have even gone back? Especially knowing they beat on the car when it had a tune that wasn't made for boost. I admit it I'm a dumbass for going back and I can't even get my money out of the car I've spent in the last year. I refuse to fix a car I just fixed. But you live and learn right?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SmoothCTR
seller seems legit
This.

Leaving a guy and a pregnant girl 9 hours from home with a car that YOU broke, that he now needs to dump money into to sell while at the same time having a kid on the way. SMH. Some people have no sense and no shame.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess you shouldnt have come back man, buyer stupidity.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't have traded back for the S2000 knowing that OP ****ed up the motor. But then again, I would have never traded cars to begin with.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Dang , Skeero, sucks you got screwed over on the drive and the dude messing up your motor. Good luck with it, karma will get the other guy!

Quick Reply: Be smart when trading for a used car!