Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Be smart when trading for a used car!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be smart when trading for a used car!

Hey I don't know where to put this alert. But anyways. There's a user named skeero. He has a boosted s2000 wanting to trade for a evo. Now this was done under my user name for my brother. He drove about 8 hours to meet him to do the trade. My brother gets in the s2000 and not even 5 mins of driving. The car knocks!!! So than he Calls me for advice. I tell him to get his evo back period. So than they meet up again to discuss why this motor is knocking. Skeero says all these excuses saying he might of done it. But really? In 5 mins!!!. So they go to the store and get oil because the s2000 had none. But guess what, he thinks my brother is a dummy he puts diesel thick oil in it... Hmmmm I wonder why. We have more to add to this. Mods I don't kno where to put this thread so please move it if you need too.

My brother is on his way back. He has all the conversations between them. But please guys be aware of this trade. I was wondering why this s2000 seem so good to be true for trade on a stock evo...
Old Mar 20, 2014, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

So wait did he get his Evo back??????????
Old Mar 20, 2014, 05:56 PM

So im assuming since you're putting this buyer beware up, your brother got his evo back?...

Also its always a good idea to do a compression check on a boosted motor (or any motor for that matter) before you buy it. Its not the tell all, but will certainly tell you the health of the motor...
Old Mar 20, 2014, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by rjfg
So wait did he get his Evo back??????????
yeah, well he had got in the s2k, than 5 or 10 mins it started knocking. so he called him back, they met up. and my brother told him nah hes not gonna go with it. i mean its good he came back, but still, putting thick *** oil in the car its like hiding something
Old Mar 20, 2014, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmer307
So im assuming since you're putting this buyer beware up, your brother got his evo back?...

Also its always a good idea to do a compression check on a boosted motor (or any motor for that matter) before you buy it. Its not the tell all, but will certainly tell you the health of the motor...
i know, i would of done a compression check and all the above, now i didnt go with him because the guy said he was giving him more parts and i figured it wont fit all in the car with a passenger. so i stayed.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

hope he got his evo back, he should of test drove the S2K first
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 133 Posts
why not post in s2k FS thread? https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ot...des-works.html
Old Mar 21, 2014, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DontStopMe
Glad he got his car back. Now that the link has been posted I'm sure no one else will want to trade. Sucks that it happened to your brother but at least no one else will have that issue.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:03 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
TLDR: Moral of the story?

Take all cars you are interested in buying or trading to a mechanic of YOUR CHOICE to have it inspected including a leakdown and compression test.

Don't be dumb.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by golgo13
TLDR: Moral of the story?

Take all cars you are interested in buying or trading to a mechanic of YOUR CHOICE to have it inspected including a leakdown and compression test.

Don't be dumb.
Never understood why people don't do this. Couple hundred bucks that can save you thousands.

Originally Posted by shadow_X
So they go to the store and get oil because the s2000 had none. But guess what, he thinks my brother is a dummy he puts diesel thick oil in it... Hmmmm I wonder why.
Rotella T6?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EvolvedAK
Rotella T6?
I run it in my Jetta and ran it in my VIII for years. Good stuff, lots of zinc and handles heat well, great for turbocharged motors. Hardly conclusive evidence of covering anything up if that's what he used.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Im surprised that forsale/trade thread hasnt been ripped apart by ppl yet
Old Mar 21, 2014, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by cmspaz
I run it in my Jetta and ran it in my VIII for years. Good stuff, lots of zinc and handles heat well, great for turbocharged motors. Hardly conclusive evidence of covering anything up if that's what he used.
Agreed. That's why I was asking as well.

Either way I would have expected both cars to undergo a thorough inspection before committing to such a trade.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When we were looking to buy my wife's STi (It had a GT35R rotated kit on it) we took it to a friends shop and they did a compression test. It was low in one cylinder. Seller swore I was lying (He was selling it for a friend).

Picked up a bone stock STi after that
Old Mar 21, 2014, 09:04 PM

well i didnt go, so my brother went alone. i would if looked harder. according to him it drove fine. and he forgot his compressiont ester. i guess taking someones word is not the thing to do these days. he was kind enough to turn around, but after saying my brother did this was just not cool. just 5 mins of driving and knocking like that there is no way that can happen, im sure he used that diesel thick oil to cover it....

Quick Reply: Be smart when trading for a used car!