Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HELP, Gruppe M problems!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP, Gruppe M problems!

Hi guys,

i ordered a new Gruppe-M from japan and had arrived in the post today.

Basically IT WONT FIT….

the GREDDY inlet pipe is too big.

when i purchased this car, it had the Large G-Reddy inlet pipe. (the stock one was issued to me with the purchase also)

I was told by the previous owner that the stock pipe "kept blowing off" due to 20PSI boost. (whether its true, i dunno… the more i look at the car the more dodgy the guy seems)

anyways, the 2nd part of the Gruppe doesn't fit… (cold air inlet plenum)…

so either, i need a smaller pipe… (stock will blow off if i try it?)
or ill leave that top part OFF… compromise a bit of hot air but still better than the stock air filter? But that defeats the purpose of a $1000 carbon Gruppe….wouldve settled for a cheap Blitz or HKS if it was open.

The reason i purchased an enclosed one was because Australia is quite stringent on defecting vehicles with open air boxes.

let me know your thoughts…

basically the grippe won't bolt together.. and the bonnet won't shut due to the large greedy pipe.

[IMG]

sorry that the pics turned out a big dark…

let me know if you require more refined pics
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First use t-bolt clamps on the piping--that should solve blow off problems. Loosen the intake pipe on both ends and see if you cant rotate it some to clear the intake top and see what you get. Put the small pipe on and do the same
Old Mar 21, 2014, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meckert
First use t-bolt clamps on the piping--that should solve blow off problems. Loosen the intake pipe on both ends and see if you cant rotate it some to clear the intake top and see what you get. Put the small pipe on and do the same
Hi there,

thanks for the reply

well for your option 1.) T-bolt clamps.. .for the stock piping… then if i was to put the stock pipe on (which is significantly thinner) would it make much of a difference compared to Greddy cold side pipe? Since its running more boost, larger gruppe intake and soon to fit a 02 housing ?

Also,

2.) rotate the Greddy, well I've taken the Greddy OFF…. its basically hard-up against each side…. i can probably cut it back to possibly decrease the height… but i will lose the rib end of the aluminum pipe. might cause blowing-off issues.

hmmm any more suggestions?

i wish they disclosed this sort of info… e.g may have issues with Greddy Cold Side pipe and the bonnet vent bolt above gruppe needs to be grind down.