Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Coupler sizes and degrees

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2014, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coupler sizes and degrees

I'm installing a new front mount and I'm in need of some info on the coupler sizes. I know they're 2.5in but I'm not sure what degree to get. The pipes leading into the FMIC aren't as angled (They're more of a straight 45 than a bending 45) as the OEM FMIC, so when using the OEM couplers, it raises the LICP and UICP just enough that the bumper will not fit. I need some couplers to bring them back down to OEM placement but I can't tell what degree of coupler to get. If you need pictures I can provide them. Thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What intercooler do you have for my ets one it was just 2 straight couplers and they came with the intercooler but I replaced one with a hump hose.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 06:14 AM

CXRacing/no name. And before anyone judges me, I couldn't justify spending $800 on a front mount for a stock turbo car lol.

Everything mounted up beautiful las far the brackets are concerned, I'm just having issues getting the couplers to fit. I ordered two 45's so I'm hoping that will work.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by McSlides
CXRacing/no name. And before anyone judges me, I couldn't justify spending $800 on a front mount for a stock turbo car lol.

Everything mounted up beautiful las far the brackets are concerned, I'm just having issues getting the couplers to fit. I ordered two 45's so I'm hoping that will work.
shouldn't have stayed stock turbo then
Old Mar 23, 2014, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by McSlides

ETS intercoolers are about $499, and vrsf intercoolers a bit less than that.

If its a street driven car Im sure you will be fine with the cxracing intercooler. My nephew is running a cxracing intercooler in his 350hp mr2 turbo, mounted in the trunk with a scoop cutout on the bottom, with some fans. A lot less airflow back there and its been doing fine. We forget sometimes how blessed we are having it mounted in the front with all that airflow

as far as oem style couplers, look into turbohoses.com they sell silicone replacement of the oem intercooler couplers. Kind of pricey but they are solid pieces.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Check out "hump" couplers too. I use a couple on my set up and they are easier to manipulate and install. They also make 45 and 90 degree hump couplers too. They have a hump in the middle that is flexible hence the name hump. Also when the engine moves from punching the throttle the hump couplers will give a little and take the stress off the hard pipes.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by 06ebevo
shouldn't have stayed stock turbo then
If only money and time permitted… lol.

Yeah I don't mind running the CXRacing, it's more than enough for my needs and better than stock, there's no arguing that. I went ahead and ordered 45 degree couplers that will be here Friday so we'll see how it goes.