Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ALS on Usdm Evo 9

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ALS on Usdm Evo 9

So I've been researching forever about ALS and the factory SAS hardware that comes on foreign evos. I would just like some help on where to actually start, preferably by people that have done it or have experience with it. Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2014, 02:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
How much have you researched? I believe there are two of us who have implemented it in the us. You will get frustrated and quit if you are not committed. And waste some good money.. I can tell you now that it's just noise.. I did log an airflow increase with maf however this won't translate to something majorly noticeable by one who seeks "anti lag"

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Mar 28, 2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 03:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
How much have you researched? I believe there are two of us who have implemented it in the us. You will get frustrated and quit if you are not committed. And waste some good money.. I can tell you now that it's just noise..
You need;

Sas pipe
Manifold
Valve
Banjo's at minimum

A sas compatible uicp would be helpful plus the valve to uicp hose .
Old Mar 28, 2014, 06:20 PM

You need;

Sas pipe
Manifold
Valve
Banjo's at minimum

A sas compatible uicp would be helpful plus the valve to uicp hose .
I figured that, plus a solonoid . Well I definetly know how als works, and especially an idea of how the factory SAS works. But my confusion comes within the tuning and how I would have to make my ecu compatible
Old Mar 28, 2014, 06:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by AWDriver92
I figured that, plus a solonoid . Well I definetly know how als works, and especially an idea of how the factory SAS works. But my confusion comes within the tuning and how I would have to make my ecu compatible
You haven't looked hard enough. I've done it easily.. And there's 800 posts discussing various aspects of this system You will use an existing solenoid on the car, for fps it's the same and it's the only one to move

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Mar 28, 2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 06:39 PM

You haven't looked hard enough. I've done it easily.. And there's 800 posts discussing various aspects of this system You will use an existing solenoid on the car, for fps it's the same and it's the only one to move
I'm assuming you have it setup on your car? I would very much appreciate a brief walkthrough on how you went about it, if not more in depth if you have the time 😄
Old Mar 28, 2014, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you searched this site?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 07:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Installing the hardware you can handle I'm sure.

Software wise you're going to run your choice of rom that does support sas. There's a few. I suggest 88580714 with maf.

It's all tuning from there. There's a bunch of stuff related to that which is general know how. Seek MLR threads on pops and bangs for that.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 07:55 PM
EvoM Guru

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...tml?styleid=23 My journey.. I've ditched the stock ecu and run vipec now. I've made custom set ups as well as had two oem set ups. You will need evo 9 specific valve and pipe

Every time I ran across someone who said they were doing it it dead ended , except for Maikumaru . He did it his own way as did I.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:54 AM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...tml?styleid=23 My journey.. I've ditched the stock ecu and run vipec now. I've made custom set ups as well as had two oem set ups. You will need evo 9 specific valve and pipe

Every time I ran across someone who said they were doing it it dead ended , except for Maikumaru . He did it his own way as did I.
So just to be clear
1. Find and install SAS hardware
2. Download that rom so I will have functions to tune als and other functions right?
3. Input values for timing, fuel... And I'm not really sure after that
Old Mar 29, 2014, 01:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Yes that's right. I highly suggest maintaining maf so you can log maf hz on overrun and tune the system to provide the most "airflow". This will mean you're generating more shaft speed. This type of anti lag does not maintain gauge pressure in the manifold.

That's how I connected my sas system . I used a greddy bov flange to mate where my bov was and rubber hose to the sas valve.
Attached Thumbnails ALS on Usdm Evo 9-image-1198047854.jpg  
Old Mar 29, 2014, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does it help Drag racing?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 02:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by rong.
Does it help Drag racing?
No.

It doesn't help period anyways because the effect is nearly immeasurable.

If you do generate slight more shaft speed it's not going to be holy crap this feels good, it's not going to be whoa I can feel that, it's not going to be large increase in response , it's going to be hear that? That's noise!

This system was never used on a rally car in a hardware version which resembled what we have .
Old Mar 29, 2014, 05:33 PM
EvoM Guru

upper run - with negative timing
lower - standard timing

this graph represents my trials with out the SAS system activated, but with only negative timing and normal ISCV settings. Yes there is an increase in HZ/airflow. It is not substantial. I would not expect substantial readings from the factory SAS system. The manifold has very small holes in each runner and the valve is not a particularly high flowing unit. It does bleed air into the system however which is worth something, but not particularly a lot.

One thing I am trying to do before I make a 4th revision to my hardware, is get a turbo speed sensor hooked up and logging so that I can actually measure that to with out a shadow of a doubt, know if "shaft speed" is actually doing something-
Old Mar 29, 2014, 06:49 PM

upper run - with negative timing
lower - standard timing

this graph represents my trials with out the SAS system activated, but with only negative timing and normal ISCV settings. Yes there is an increase in HZ/airflow. It is not substantial. I would not expect substantial readings from the factory SAS system. The manifold has very small holes in each runner and the valve is not a particularly high flowing unit. It does bleed air into the system however which is worth something, but not particularly a lot.

One thing I am trying to do before I make a 4th revision to my hardware, is get a turbo speed sensor hooked up and logging so that I can actually measure that to with out a shadow of a doubt, know if "shaft speed" is actually doing something-
Shouldn't someone have a rom or anything from a group N Evo 9? They use almost all of the stock hardware

Quick Reply: ALS on Usdm Evo 9