Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Spun (Secondary/Counter) Balance Shaft Bearing - 2.4L/2.1L Questions.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spun (Secondary/Counter) Balance Shaft Bearing - 2.4L/2.1L Questions.

Long story short, I had a no start issue that I tracked down to be a CAS issue as my BS belt literally disintegrated, bent my CAS trigger plate, and the CAS took a hit as well (very luckily no timing damage what-so-ever, THANK GOD) I have a handful of prior posts explaining my whole story that I'll include at the bottom of this thread for more information.

Now I have a couple options and I just want your guys opinion on which way you guys would go. I am on a very tight budget do to recent setback that really has an effect on the route to take. The car has been sitting in the garage for the last 10 months due to the accident I was in, and I have to get it out soon. I know that a build is not a place to cheap out and I won't but at the same time I can't go buy I-Beams, Billet cranks, etc, but I can/will buy new forged rods, pistons, etc.

Option 1: Assuming I totally luck out and everything checks out okay, I will just do a BSE and drop the engine back in (I WILL BE doing a 60/120k maintenance job as well... maybe a new OEM alternator since the engine will be out as well)

*The downside to this is obviously chancing my bottom end (assuming my balance shaft bearing seized due to low oil while sitting 10 months), and not rebuilding while the engine is out*

**However when it was running on the three 12-15 mins there wasn't any knock, and everything sounded normal (even when I revved to 5k after it warmed up) [besides a whine that went away after 10 mins [thought at the time it was too tight of a serpentine belt since I installed a RS belt to delete the AC just to get the car running initially, but could be the whine of a balance shaft bearing]

Option 2: Sell my short block and use the funds to do a 2.4/2.1 destroker build. I've read countlessly/endlessly the threads on anything/everything pertaining to stroking and I can't decide which I'd do. I guess the best compromise would be 2.4LR if I've read everything correctly. My 2G GSX taught me everything I know on cars (found out I have a passion for cars, working on them, etc) I'm a fast learner but I am in really unfamiliar territory when it comes to anything engine build related.

So first off, is either the 2.4, 2.4LR, or 2.1 destroker considerably cheaper to build over one another? I have read that I'll have to do some modifications either way to the CAM degreeing, Mivec plumbing, water pump (adapter/outlander WP, etc)

I know a lot of the build has to do with goals. The biggest goal I have is to just get the car on the road honestly, but I'd like to have a fun street car that will see some auto-x/track days (maybe a day at the drag strip) Prior to the accident I was making around 400whp/370 ft-tq, and I had fun but I was itching for a little more.

2.1 Destroker:
I love the idea of having a high revving engine. I've read that a lot of people don't like it/say it sucks for DD-ing, off-boost power sucks, etc but it also has the best R/S ratio from what I read as well. My question is that I have a CBRD BBK (fully ported) turbo that flows around 58 lbs I believe, will that be sufficient enough to hold at higher RPMs? Also would I have to redo the head as well?

2.4LR- From what I gather this is the best compromise (at the time of the threads) between the higher revving 2.1, and the power band of the (std?) 2.4.
I wouldn't mind going this route as long as it's not extremely expensive compared to the 2.1 destroker, or 2.4(std)

I think that's it, sorry for the long lengthly thread, but I'm just trying to be as thorough as possible.

Thanks,
Mike

*** I'll had the video of the whining sound at idle along with my prior threads after I get back from work***
Old Apr 8, 2014, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why not add the 2.2ER Kit to the list. If your 4G63 block has no holes, this should be around the same price range, depending on what crank you go with.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

I think I didnt add it because at the time of the threads I think they were expensive if I read correctly but never-the-less thanks for another option. I'll search up some threads on the 2.2ER (does the "ER" stand for English Racing?) <--- Suppose I can look that up too LOL.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, it English Racing and they had a sale on there kit last month, but I'm sure they would work something out. The big plus is once again, the 4G63 Block, displacement and high reving rotating assembly.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

I MAY luck out, and get my engine covered by my power train warranty, and get a new buschur block.

Anyone else have any inputs on their stroker setup?