Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo VI (1999) Canadian Compliance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo VI (1999) Canadian Compliance

I am planning to import an Evo VI from Japan. Would any of you happen to know what I would need to do to the car to make it compliant with Canadian driving laws. For example, would I need to exchange the Evo VI JDM standard headlights to DOT headlights to pass an OOP inspection?

If you could please list out the parts that I would need to change or add to meet DOT standards and pass an OOP inspection.

Thank you.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 06:12 PM

you mean drl. there are many rhd dealers around, you can buy from them everything is taken care of. i seen a few vi going for 10-14k
Old Apr 8, 2014, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by SSMCL9
you mean drl. there are many rhd dealers around, you can buy from them everything is taken care of. i seen a few vi going for 10-14k
Agreed.
Just go through an importer that will have it ready to plate. Easiest way to do it. I live in Sask so can't say what would be needed for you but here I've seen some pretty shady imports on the road that "passed" inspection.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
If you want to do it right, you'll need Mirage headlights and turn signals. The taillights should already be DOT, but you'll need to put marker lights on the rear bumper.

For wiring, DRLs should be high beams at 1/2 voltage. The front and rear marker lights need to come on when the headlights are on.

Seatbelts should already be FMVSS/CMVSS approved, same with the glass and brake lines.

Basically, if it doesn't say SAE or DOT on these pieces, it's not legal.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by RS200
If you want to do it right, you'll need Mirage headlights and turn signals. The taillights should already be DOT, but you'll need to put marker lights on the rear bumper.

For wiring, DRLs should be high beams at 1/2 voltage. The front and rear marker lights need to come on when the headlights are on.

Seatbelts should already be FMVSS/CMVSS approved, same with the glass and brake lines.

Basically, if it doesn't say SAE or DOT on these pieces, it's not legal.
Could you link me to some marker lights for the rear bumper?

I think for the DRLs, I am just gonna buy some from Canadian Tire and put them on myself.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:02 PM

Why not just save yourself the hassle and buy from a reputable importer?

I used Right Drive in Vaughan, Ontario when I bought my EVO 1. They took car of EVERYTHING.

I showed up to the dealership, settled up the bill, and drove the car home full registered, street legal, with a big smile on my face.

I'm all for doing things myself as well, but sometimes you need to pick your battles!

Also, you can sign up for the Right Drive portal service which allows you to browse cars that they've sourced in Japan until you find something you like.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by jay777
Why not just save yourself the hassle and buy from a reputable importer?

I used Right Drive in Vaughan, Ontario when I bought my EVO 1. They took car of EVERYTHING.

I showed up to the dealership, settled up the bill, and drove the car home full registered, street legal, with a big smile on my face.

I'm all for doing things myself as well, but sometimes you need to pick your battles!

Also, you can sign up for the Right Drive portal service which allows you to browse cars that they've sourced in Japan until you find something you like.
Mainly because the cost is about $2000 - $3000 more (minimum). I would also get a lesser quality car since they will most likely mark it up a whole lot more than if I were to use an importer.

Since I won't be in school during summer (break until university starts again), I don't mind using my time to get a quality car for the least amount of cash needed to be spent.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 05:57 AM

that 2 - 3k will save you alot of hassle. Especi77ally ones that are modded. great chance you landed the car here and unable to get it pass inspection you would end up spend alot more to get it on the road.