Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Possible Coolant loss? EVO IX (time to panic?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 03:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Coolant loss? EVO IX (time to panic?)

Hi guys,

Firstly, i understand the water-cooled engine should be sealed, and should have no loss.

Allow me to explain the situation before the actual question;

My EVO IX is in good condition.

It only has 31,000 miles.

2007 model.

The previous owner was an idiot. stock internals, no intake or exhaust…or ECU tune.....apparently running 28 PSI boost. (for no reason.

The stock Cat was blocked and they had to replace it. The engine may have been overheating due to that and coolant was found leaking from the head area.

How did i find this out?… The ****** never told me this prior to me purchasing the car, i had found this out after buying it and taking it to his mechanic that he raved on about and told me this issue.

They basically fixed the issue by plugging something on the cold side pipe… and lowered it to about 20PSI. and replaced the cat…

i havent noticed any leaks since…. So possibly the motor may have expanded or flexed due to high boost.

However, the Resevoir.. it was for e.g 10mm from the FULL line last week.

i decided to top it up and i overfilled it 5mm over the FULL line.

after 3 long drives and 1 week duration. I noticed it 5mm below the FULL line.

So 10mm since last week, however I'm not sure if it will lose more.. (ill keep an eye on it.)

My question now is, how often much coolant do you guys realise that the CT9A loses?

IM pretty sure water passage by passes the head gasket aswell… so I may require the head bolts to be tightened after the stunt the dumb idiot pulled.
i would like to hear your feed back guys

I'm just hoping that the design of the reservoir likes to keep the water lower than the FULL line by 5mm and pushes anything out above that and will remain that way.

Thanks heaps and I'm sorry for the long story.

Last edited by wowzers; Apr 15, 2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 04:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since it was obviously low beforehand, it may just have an airpocket that needs to be bled. Keep an eye on the level and top it off again. If it keeps dropping again then something maybe up. Make sure the heater works, if there is an air pocket you may not have heat always. Basically verify the system has no air pockets then keep an eye on the coolant level. It shouldn't really drop if your using oem or equivalent coolant.

What type of coolant are you using? One weird thing Ive noticed with the fancy new phosphate free coolants is they seem to require top offs every 5k miles or so-- almost like they are prone to evaporate or something.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:46 AM

My IX is basically stock and has the oem coolant in it. I bought it with 60k miles on it and now have over 95k. I have never had to add any coolant to it since owning it. With the previous owner pushing so much boost through yours there is a possibility that the head lifted enough to blow out the head gasket on one of the internal passages allowing the coolant to get mixed with the oil. I had a similar thing happen to a DSM. I would check the oil and see if it looks like chocolate milk. If so then thats your problem. If not then maybe you got lucky and the coolant is evaporating like TommiM stated above.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

I think you're good, as long as the tube is always immersed in water you don't have to worry about it. If it has too much it'll just push it out.

Keep an eye on your coolant temps.
Burp your system as Tommi stated and make sure there aren't any bubbles coming out. (cycle hvac, full heat blast!)
Check your radiator coolant level.
Make sure the tube in overflow is immersed in coolant all the time (before driving and after driving)

If all is normal I wouldn't worry about it, it just got rid of extra that you put in.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 749 Likes on 578 Posts
If you are losing coolant its either going to oil, combustion chamber, or leaking. Change the oil and if its not milky then that's not an issue. Go do a handful of pulls and if you don't overheat its likely not a leaking to the combustion chamber so the head gasket would be fine at this point. An external coolant leak would likely be heater hose or the lines to the TB or a loose radiator cap.

If you have none of these issues, then I wouldn't worry about it much and just keep an eye on it.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 02:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
If you are losing coolant its either going to oil, combustion chamber, or leaking. Change the oil and if its not milky then that's not an issue. Go do a handful of pulls and if you don't overheat its likely not a leaking to the combustion chamber so the head gasket would be fine at this point. An external coolant leak would likely be heater hose or the lines to the TB or a loose radiator cap.

If you have none of these issues, then I wouldn't worry about it much and just keep an eye on it.
Originally Posted by bbong
I think you're good, as long as the tube is always immersed in water you don't have to worry about it. If it has too much it'll just push it out.

Keep an eye on your coolant temps.
Burp your system as Tommi stated and make sure there aren't any bubbles coming out. (cycle hvac, full heat blast!)
Check your radiator coolant level.
Make sure the tube in overflow is immersed in coolant all the time (before driving and after driving)

If all is normal I wouldn't worry about it, it just got rid of extra that you put in.
Originally Posted by WS111
My IX is basically stock and has the oem coolant in it. I bought it with 60k miles on it and now have over 95k. I have never had to add any coolant to it since owning it. With the previous owner pushing so much boost through yours there is a possibility that the head lifted enough to blow out the head gasket on one of the internal passages allowing the coolant to get mixed with the oil. I had a similar thing happen to a DSM. I would check the oil and see if it looks like chocolate milk. If so then thats your problem. If not then maybe you got lucky and the coolant is evaporating like TommiM stated above.
Originally Posted by TommiM
Since it was obviously low beforehand, it may just have an airpocket that needs to be bled. Keep an eye on the level and top it off again. If it keeps dropping again then something maybe up. Make sure the heater works, if there is an air pocket you may not have heat always. Basically verify the system has no air pockets then keep an eye on the coolant level. It shouldn't really drop if your using oem or equivalent coolant.

What type of coolant are you using? One weird thing Ive noticed with the fancy new phosphate free coolants is they seem to require top offs every 5k miles or so-- almost like they are prone to evaporate or something.
Thanks for the responses.

The coolant I'm using just regular green coolant Not OEM, Nothing too Fancy.

i have checked the following:
[*]The external/visible areas of the head gasket seems ok. (although it may require tightening… need to find a torque wrench)
[*]Checked with the cap off on cold and ran the engine, i didn't notice any little bubbles. (i may need to check it when its hot, when the thermostat is open)

[*]Checked for any oil residue in the coolant, there does not appear to be any.

what i might do, i may not top it up by 5 mm.. ill leave it and watch to see if it keeps going down, If it does… then there may be a problem.

But as you mentioned, that it may have just pushed the excess out and kept it at a comfortable level?

Ill keep you guys posted.