Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 Next Mods**** Please Look

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 Next Mods**** Please Look

I have a 2005 Evo 8 Gsr with 60,000 miles
apexi n1 catback
megan downpipe
test pipe
gsc S2 cams with springs and retainers
1200cc RC injectors
walbro 255 fuel pump
ets front mount
ets upper and lower intercooler piping
ets intake
speed density
megan coilovers
white line rear sway bar
RRE 3-port
stop tech rotors and pads
ported head
rods
competition stage 4 racing clutch rigid sprung
50% dunlop tires
just did 60k mile service
stainless steel brakelines
Speed density tune E85/91 by RRE on dyno pack (new software)
E85 418 AWHP 383AWTQ
91 350 AWHP 313AWTQ

After tune car still doesnt run like it should want to get the car retuned by 5150 racing, the car also needs brake pads because the stoptech ones on it right now are horrible.

****The question is if you had $2,000 to put into my car, and you wanted to do a tune for $550 and brake pads, what else would you do. I want the car to be a better daily driver(better start up, idle with AC on, and run better when cold, and get rid of my engine knock), but I would also like it faster. Lets hear what you guys have to say.

Also I was told the RC 1200cc injectors were horrible, and should by fic 1250cc injectors. Is this something you guys would agree with??
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

better start up, idle with AC on, and run better when cold, and get rid of my engine knock

all that sounds like is a horrible tune... I'd save the money and just get re-tuned and do a few track days afterwards

if you change out injectors go with FIC's but go with high impedance ...for better driveability

everything else on the list seems ok

just my .02 gl!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by BlackonBlack2
better start up, idle with AC on, and run better when cold, and get rid of my engine knock

all that sounds like is a horrible tune... I'd save the money and just get re-tuned and do a few track days afterwards

if you change out injectors go with FIC's but go with high impedance ...for better driveability

everything else on the list seems ok

just my .02 gl!

The tune is horrible start up on E85 takes 2 or 3 cranks when cold, if you dont let it warm up for at least 5 minutes you put it in first and the car will bog and will not drive even if you floor it, car cant idle with AC/ heater on, has service engine light saying its running too rich on both e85 and 91 also the light flashes all the time(engine knock)

Fast for stock 8 turbo though lol
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have an 06 IX , similar mods except i dont have speed density yet and i have precision 1200cc injectors. tuned by rre also. id look at different injectors. mike w recommended those injectors so thats what i got.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by gothp?
i have an 06 IX , similar mods except i dont have speed density yet and i have precision 1200cc injectors. tuned by rre also. id look at different injectors. mike w recommended those injectors so thats what i got.

How is the drivability of your car?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You would want to invest in a tune by TSComp first, then decide if you want to do anything else.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
What TB? OEM? I'd send it to Mil.Spec. Also get new injectors. I like tuning FIC and ID. Just did a set if DW injectors for the first time and those were decent.
If you could swing a used FP green that would be sweet. Good luck.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Rods are listed as a mod. What rods and pistons and crank, compression ratio?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

consider an email tune tscomp maybe
Old Apr 17, 2014, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Find a new tuner that knows what they are doing because those issues are fixable.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:27 AM

buy an FP Black :]
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoXGSR13
How is the drivability of your car?
i DD my car. take it on long trips, long walks on the beach etc. it drives fine. I always have to let it warm up for about 2-3 mins. Its better for the car anyway imo. My car idles at almost 2k during cold starts and its best you keep it idling for another 2-3 minutes before moving. It likes to buck when you move right after a cold start. Maybe because its the cams. I've had this tune and its been running like a champ on e85. About 25k on the tune and setup that's on my sig. Its on e85 95% of the time. i only run pump gas once a month to keep getting the gunk everybody seems to get on the injectors w e85.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 02:19 PM

how was this tuned with no wideband???? unless you have one and just didn't list it... sounds like speed density tune was focused on WOT pulls, and daily driving conditions weren't tuned out that well. I wouldn't expect to get much more peak hp on the stock turbo. You either need to tune it yourself, or find someone who knows how to tune. what rods/ pistons?.. stock?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silent_white
how was this tuned with no wideband???? unless you have one and just didn't list it... sounds like speed density tune was focused on WOT pulls, and daily driving conditions weren't tuned out that well. I wouldn't expect to get much more peak hp on the stock turbo. You either need to tune it yourself, or find someone who knows how to tune. what rods/ pistons?.. stock?
He had it tuned at RRE. I'm sure they have a wideband that hooks up to the tailpipe.

Dyno tuning, for the most part is power tuning. When I tune I do idle, cruise then power tuning on the dyno, road tune or remote tune in that order.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:00 AM

if you have 2K to spend, buy a laptop and a wideband, learn to tune it. I, unlike many evo owners, use a 95 DSM ecu so i can run dsmlink. This made things easy for me since i came from DSMs. I'm sure you could also find a lot of help tuning what you already have. Speed density is much easier on dsmlink though. after you get your the rest of the tune running correctly, its time to think about getting a bigger turbo.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 Next Mods**** Please Look