Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Oil consumption on track?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil consumption on track?

Just curious if anyone sees oil consumption on track days? I had previously been noticing that in normal driving I was losing maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a quart after 3000 to 4000 miles. Normal driving includes a decent amount of boost. I am on E85 and 25psi. Today at the track after running 20+ hotlaps i noticed I lost in between 1/4 to 1/2 a quart. Car doesnt smoke, compression was 145 across the board a few months back. I do notice I get a lot of oil in the intake track. Should i be worried?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsmluck
Just curious if anyone sees oil consumption on track days? I had previously been noticing that in normal driving I was losing maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a quart after 3000 to 4000 miles. Normal driving includes a decent amount of boost. I am on E85 and 25psi. Today at the track after running 20+ hotlaps i noticed I lost in between 1/4 to 1/2 a quart. Car doesnt smoke, compression was 145 across the board a few months back. I do notice I get a lot of oil in the intake track. Should i be worried?

Whats your setup?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

is is the oil gremlins.

but what is your setup and do you have a catch can? your car might be pushing the oil out in places with the least resistance because of high crank-case pressure. If you don't have a catch-can I would suggest getting one.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by dsm nexus
Whats your setup?
- Stock VIII turbo
- FIC 1120 injectors
- Walbro 255
- Race pipe
- Torqued Performance E85 tune @ 25 psi
- 80k miles

I wondering if I am losing it because of blowby? Would a catch can system help with this? Intake track gets oily shortly after I clean it out. Never seen any smoke under boost or start-up. Car pulls like it should, dead even with my brother's supercharged CTS-V (550hp). I feel like I might be over concerned about it but I just wanted a second opinion.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by slowsrt4:(
is is the oil gremlins.

but what is your setup and do you have a catch can? your car might be pushing the oil out in places with the least resistance because of high crank-case pressure. If you don't have a catch-can I would suggest getting one.
Should I be concerned about the high pressure in the crankcase? The car does spend a good amount of time in the upper rpms but I change the oil every 3k like clockwork.

I have looked into catch cans but it seems there is conflicting info and to be honest the PVC system confuses me.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

you could be getting blowby, a catch can would catch the oil and you would have an idea how much oil you are losing exactly. Don't be worried about high crank pressure it is common with boost levels higher than stock. Also a clogged PVC valve can cause the problem so I've been told
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that the engine will put as much as 2 quarts and hour into the intake when run on the track.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 06:35 AM

Hmmm. What about the Buschur Racing catch can that can recirculate the oil? Is there any reason why thats not a good idea?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Oil is either coming from the turbo seals or valve cover. Crank pressure can be the cause of it coming out the oil seals on the turbo and/or will see excessive oil through the vent line off the VC. I would recommend a sealed can from VC to intake with 5/8 or 9/16 (-10 line) to the intake to help with crank pressure. It doesn't take but 0.5psi of blowby to push oil out of the turbo on good seals. Could also be a bad oil seal in the turbo that just doesn't hold the oil back.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i had VERY slight oil dissapearance (im reluctant to call it consumption since everything is functioning perfectly). i added a saikou michi dual chamber with big check valve and it stopped. i havent drained my can after my track day two weeks ago, but i will in the next day or too and post back.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Would suggest a small sealed can from VC to intake with 5/8 or 9/16(-10) lines. Oil could be coming from that line or the turbo seals. Turbo seals only hold back 0.5~ psi of crank case pressure.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dsmluck
Hmmm. What about the Buschur Racing catch can that can recirculate the oil? Is there any reason why thats not a good idea?
For your setup the Buschur catch can would be a great solution. If you ever rebuild your engine, you will need to go with a more capable system.

I just ran an event with the Buschur system and it was not able to handle the volume. Ended up getting oil in the intake.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
i had VERY slight oil dissapearance (im reluctant to call it consumption since everything is functioning perfectly). i added a saikou michi dual chamber with big check valve and it stopped. i havent drained my can after my track day two weeks ago, but i will in the next day or too and post back.
Yes please let me know how it worked.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by dsm nexus
Would suggest a small sealed can from VC to intake with 5/8 or 9/16(-10) lines. Oil could be coming from that line or the turbo seals. Turbo seals only hold back 0.5~ psi of crank case pressure.
That would only let me know how much oil my PCV is dumping and prevent it from entering the intake tract right?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by mithrandir7533
For your setup the Buschur catch can would be a great solution. If you ever rebuild your engine, you will need to go with a more capable system.

I just ran an event with the Buschur system and it was not able to handle the volume. Ended up getting oil in the intake.
The car sees maybe 3 to 4 track days a year but I boost it quite a bit. Didn't notice any oil loss until the boost went from 17psi to 25psi. The intake is very oily now. It didn't used to be. I thought the turbo might be going but it boosts fine and I didn't feel much shaft play. Does the Buschur at least cut down on the oil going into the intake?

Quick Reply: Oil consumption on track?