Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo as a first car? Good or bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get a civic first, don't mod it just drive it and get used to maintaing it. but if you're rich and your parents are buying the car, to hell with it and get an evo
Old Apr 20, 2014, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy a cheap car and save your money, then buy an evo
Old Apr 20, 2014, 08:41 PM

I recommend You get yourself a civic, keep it stock, maybe wheels, suspension and intake.... Then when you sweat the fever and find out you're a true enthusiast you get the Evo
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im 19 and have a evo, albeit i got it at 18 and i can tell you from experience don't get one. and the evo was the 5th car i had a St205 gt4 before it "alltrac" and to be honest at a young age you just arent ready for a turbo car or anything with grip. Just buy a hack car for a thousand bucks learn to modify it and then if you want a weekend toy after a year or so once you have the "redlining every gear change" out of your system then get a evo or something. Its just a maturity thing.

There are rare cases of course of people who actually dont buy a evo to go fast in and just like the way it looks. But a evo at 18 is the same as a 7 year old in a candy factory they just aren't ready and have the self restraint
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:52 AM

Don't do it.

1) Insurance cost
2) Insurance increase/declining driving record from your inevitable speeding tickets or other violations
3) Maintenance/repair cost
4) Your overall inexperience with driving and everything operational/mechanical related with these cars
Old Apr 21, 2014, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

If you have to ask you shouldn't get one
Old Apr 21, 2014, 07:08 PM

I'd recommend a 240SX over an Evo as a first car if you want something fun, cheap, and reliable. Wait a few more years like after college, then get the Evo.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 08:21 AM

18? No not yet. Get a Sentra or Rolla instead. There are lots and I mean lots of things you need to learn and experience first before you jump in a car like that.

Originally Posted by Capt Leung
I'd recommend a 240SX over an Evo as a first car if you want something fun, cheap, and reliable. Wait a few more years like after college, then get the Evo.
Yep fun car as well, tons of aftermarket support! But... we don't want our 18 year old trying out some street slides. hehe.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:18 AM

Theses people are so selfish. Honestly just whatever car you want with the money you have. If you have 20k to spend get an evo if you want power. These people are exaggerating so much. Stock evo power is really fun to drive with and extremely easy to handle. The car has 290 hp/torque which is not crazy and it also weighs a a lot which compensates. The car is AWD and as long as your tires aren't shot the chance you will spin or anything is rare. If you don't drive like a maniac then it's perfectly fine. And don't launch it!

This is America and it's just a car, not something crazy either. If you parents are paying for insurance then who cares lol. The car gets about 22 mpg with some spirited driving. Basic mods are cheap and easy to do, but you don't have to as well.

I got my evo at 20 and wish I got it earlier. Also have a 600 gsxr.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:20 AM

I'm 18 and have an evo. I got my evo to keep, not to just drive for 6 months or a year and sell for something else. I plan on keeping this atleast until my early 30s.. It sure as hell wasn't my first car, and I wouldn't really recommend it unless you've been around these types of cars before. If you're looking for something to redline and beat up, get a civic or WRX, or even something like an eclipse or eagle talon. Please don't get an evo to destroy it. It really depends on the owner also, I tend to not redline the evo every redlight or really anytime in general. Coming from a kid who has driven a lot of cars for being 18 (nsx/fd rx7/supra list goes on) there is nothing that, in my opinion, comes close to the driving experience that the evo provides.

Hope this helps... But if you're looking for something to beat up, don't kill an evo
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

bought an evo while i was 19, main thing to keep in mind:

Respect the car or it will bite you
Old Apr 22, 2014, 01:02 PM

My Evo is the first car I've bought and driven. I even learned how to drive stick in it! It all comes down to what you really want and why you're buying it. Personally, I told myself if I was going to be spending money on gas/insurance/maintenance/upgrades/etc., it was going to be on a car that I truly loved. Initially, I had wanted an Integra Type R, but then I came home from deployment and saw my chance to own one of my dream cars at age 20 and as my first car to boot! If you're disciplined enough to not race around everywhere in it, to not thrash it until there's nothing left, and are financially responsible enough to know that it's going to be a little more on the pricier side to upkeep, then I say yeah go for it as your first car. But if you have any doubt in your mind that you won't be able to afford it or keep yourself out of trouble with it, then save yourself the heartache and pass on it for now. Good luck to you and your decision!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 02:42 PM

Buy something that's $1,000-$2,000 and is manual. Drive it, play around in it, whatever you want. Just get used to driving before dropping $20k+ and then crashing it.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buy yourself a life insurance policy while you at it--simple 100k term policy so your folks have the cash to pay hospital bills and expenses when its all said and done. Good Luck.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rrrr
18? No not yet. Get a Sentra or Rolla instead. There are lots and I mean lots of things you need to learn and experience first before you jump in a car like that.

Yep fun car as well, tons of aftermarket support! But... we don't want our 18 year old trying out some street slides. hehe.
Thanks my boyfriend convinced me to go for the s14. Thanks alot guys it means alot to hear your experiences! Ill see you guys in the streets and hopefully ill get an evo when I'm older and more mature. Thanks !

Quick Reply: Evo as a first car? Good or bad idea?