Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo as a first car? Good or bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think being "concern" is the same as being "selfish".

Originally Posted by Violeta
Thanks my boyfriend convinced me to go for the s14. Thanks alot guys it means alot to hear your experiences! Ill see you guys in the streets and hopefully ill get an evo when I'm older and more mature. Thanks !
Yeah the already hot S14 will be even hotter with a lady driver. Whatever you get whether an everyday econobox, Silvia S14 or Evo Ct9a good luck with it, and take good care of it. I know lots of unforgettable memories are made on first cars, i did. Oh and nothing beats experience on handling fast cars.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 02:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rrrr
suggest you drive a basic econobox as your first car. Then if your "experienced" enough, get a more powerful one like the Evo. There are many unfortunate accidents cause by too excited first time drivers w/ a fast car.

How old are you anyways?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

I got my first eve when I was 17. As my first car. Just do not be a jackass in the car and respect the power that comes with them. And you will be fine.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 08:52 AM
Sev
Evolved Member

Lol you guys are suggesting a drift car instead of an Evo? S13's and S14's are super expensive, even in horrible condition due to drift tax. It's ridiculous, especially in CA. And imo it's more dangerous assuming the owner attempts to drift it.

I say get a camry or something.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vito93
If you have to ask you shouldn't get one
This. Hits the nail on the head.
You'll know when you're ready.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you're learning to drift or want a silvia just get a beat up s13 and drive it into until it dies. While saving up for an s14. drive the s13 hard and beat it up, get good at what you want to do before you jump in and start dumping money. I feel like if your logic might be a little off? For a first car get something you can drive hard and not feel bad about.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 01:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sev
Lol you guys are suggesting a drift car instead of an Evo? S13's and S14's are super expensive, even in horrible condition due to drift tax. It's ridiculous, especially in CA. And imo it's more dangerous assuming the owner attempts to drift it.

really?

they're cheap as chips here in AUS…

Cars are normally very cheap in USA….
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want to learn to drift just get a r32 or r33 they are cheap as... oh wait american didn't get them :P
Old Apr 24, 2014, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bladey
If you want to learn to drift just get a r32 or r33 they are cheap as... oh wait american didn't get them :P
Yeah those non GTR skylines, Gtst & gtt are nice too but not as nice as the S-chasis IMHO especially when drifting is concern.

Originally Posted by Sev

Her bf recommends S14 to her.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by wowzers
really?

they're cheap as chips here in AUS…

Cars are normally very cheap in USA….
An s14 in Oregon would cost me anywhere from 7-9k for a clean one that isn't automatic... Some might show up here and there for 6k-6.5k but those go quick. I'd rather buy a clean s13, those are like 3k-3.5k, after that I'd just put 4k+ into it instead of buying an s14. Every drift car around my area is crazy expensive besides rx7's and s13's. ae86 are also quite expensive.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SyHS
An s14 in Oregon would cost me anywhere from 7-9k for a clean one that isn't automatic... Some might show up here and there for 6k-6.5k but those go quick. I'd rather buy a clean s13, those are like 3k-3.5k, after that I'd just put 4k+ into it instead of buying an s14. Every drift car around my area is crazy expensive besides rx7's and s13's. ae86 are also quite expensive.
yeah i had a look on our car sales website.

s13 and s14 is about the same as it is there in the states…

sorry, i was just thinking that 7 - 9k was cheap as chips thats all
Old Apr 24, 2014, 03:53 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

Drift tax ruins the fun in building S chassis'. You gotta pay so damn much for a 'decent' one and put a **** load more money into.

I'd love an S13 though.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 04:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sev
Drift tax ruins the fun in building S chassis'. You gotta pay so damn much for a 'decent' one and put a **** load more money into.

I'd love an S13 though.
drift tax?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by SyHS
7 to 9k for a car that is produced 95 - 98... yeah its not the cheap IMO. Besides if you bought one with the factory KA engine, you need to pay for an SR engine asap, I know I would.

Reminds me of a buddy who really wants a Spec R S15, but ended up with an S14 because of street legal issues . He plans S15 facelifts though in the near future.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by wowzers
yeah i had a look on our car sales website.

s13 and s14 is about the same as it is there in the states…

sorry, i was just thinking that 7 - 9k was cheap as chips thats all
I'm not saying it's extremely expensive, but I wouldn't ever get one as my first (or only) car. And you can go down to California and buy one for a couple grand less. And for that type of money I'd rather just get an fd3s for a few grand more.

Quick Reply: Evo as a first car? Good or bad idea?