Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo as a first car? Good or bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2014, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SyHS
I'm not saying it's extremely expensive, but I wouldn't ever get one as my first (or only) car. And you can go down to California and buy one for a couple grand less. And for that type of money I'd rather just get an fd3s for a few grand more.
i agree.

when your new to driving you really need a car that you can not worry about busting up.

i remember when i first started driving; mounted kerbs, reversed and bump into things etc.

oh and motorbiking really teaches you the road…..

riding for a few years had taught me to be better driver, lowering changes of accidents.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MarkChamorro
Don't do it. You say you don't want to race or do anything silly. But you will, you'll make the choice and also be influenced by your friends. I asked the same question. and in hindsight I'm extremely happy that I didn't get the Evo. I have one now and the expenses are one of the many reasons not to own one at your age. Get a Ralliart, I did. Great first car. Also, use the search function
Cant say that better myself..
I owned a Lancer ES, 180xxx miles in it and NOT ONE ISSUE, only things i did to it were alternator, and a serpentine belt. and oil changes, you can beat on those things relentlessly and they will always take you anywhere.
Unless you make good money and can afford the maintenance on a evo, i wouldn't get one, It will break and you will need to fix it.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

no, get a subaru
Old Apr 26, 2014, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wowzers
yeah i had a look on our car sales website.

s13 and s14 is about the same as it is there in the states…

sorry, i was just thinking that 7 - 9k was cheap as chips thats all
lol i find s13/14s here so cheap its insane...
Old Apr 26, 2014, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jeremy52048
no, get a subaru
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:33 AM
Evolving Member

Since theres, drift tax…

is there Burnout tax, fishtail or sideways tax?
Old May 4, 2014, 06:45 PM

I realize that the s14 is a drift car but I'm not gunna mess up a rare car like that! If I wanted u drift car then I would build it. I just want something that is nice, make it clean (no hello kitty or pink) and something reliable. I am doing this by myself and no my parents aren't helping me!
Old May 6, 2014, 08:35 AM

get a civic with stick, get some experience first, unless you alrdy got the experience then by all means get the evo
Old May 6, 2014, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Violeta
I realize that the s14 is a drift car but I'm not gunna mess up a rare car like that! If I wanted u drift car then I would build it. I just want something that is nice, make it clean (no hello kitty or pink) and something reliable. I am doing this by myself and no my parents aren't helping me!

buying an old s14 is probably less reliable than an evo unless the owner did a lot of work to it, like motor swapping to the SR20DET and doing the whole suspension. S14 zenki was my first car though.

They are pretty fun cars, but actually might require more skill to handle than an evo as well. S14 can oversteer a lot when pushed, and especially in the rain it will spin out like an S2000 easily.

But owning an S14 first will probably get the stupid out of your system and let you appreciate a car like an evo more, it's your choice.
Old May 6, 2014, 06:04 PM

Depends on the person I think. But generally not a good idea.

The issues with Evos for a younger person is that they cost a lot to maintain/own and are quite slow for daily driving. The insurance will be sky high too at that age bracket. For daily driving, they are either too fast or too slow because of the powerband. The car was built for driving at the limit and not crawling in stop start situations. If you're off boost, a regular V6 sedan will outrun you easily.

It's also very tempting to use the power on the street especially when you're young and that gets you in all sorts of trouble - accidents, fines, loss of license etc.
Old May 6, 2014, 06:50 PM

Budd Evo's aren't the sort of cars you have as a first car. At the end of the day though, if it's what you want then go out and get it. Just be careful and be prepared to fork out for insurance and maintenance!
Old May 6, 2014, 07:18 PM

No. They are high maintenance, relatively expensive to fix, horrible on fuel and insurance will be outrageous. I would recommend buying something inexpensive, reliable and economical for now. Save up and buy an EVO or something similar in a few years. That way you will be able to enjoy it later on when you aren't stressed about paying ridiculous amounts for insurance and worrying about being able to afford fuel and maintenance.

I bought an EVO IV at 19 and in many ways it was a horrible decision (but so so fun). This is a little different because this wasn't my only car (I had a winter beater/daily) and because they are much cheaper than a IX. With that car I have a whole different host of problems due to parts availability, etc.

Bottom line. You can do it if you want. You will have an absolute blast driving it (when it runs). But maintenance, insurance and fuel will set you back financially meaning you will miss out on other opportunities.
Old May 7, 2014, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought my evo at 17 and I'm 20 now my advice is if your paying for the car, insurance, mods, and maintance especially on min. Wage job dont do it it's so expensive. I've struggled past 2 years once I began to mod and want to go faster and change the look it all comes with the car no matter how much you say you won't race or mod it. I knew I wanted mine faster never knew I'd have a stack of reciptes around 15-20k lol. If your fortunate enough to have your parents help you out or you don't mind working everyday, or in the best case already have a career then buy it, it's one fun *** car an it'll make you happy. This was my second car had a mustang b4 this and hit a speed limit sign drifting.... Yeah.. Glad the evo wasn't my first choice but like I said being a younger kid with this car paying for it by yourself is hard period then add a gf into the picture forget it, my wallets EMPTY

Forgot to add-
My buddy learned stick on his evo went through a clutch n 3rd n 5th synchro

Last edited by brunz44; May 7, 2014 at 05:52 AM.
Old May 7, 2014, 07:01 PM

Start with a NA car much cheaper and easier to learn. Wait a few years then go for a forced induction car. Insurance will be cheaper also.
Old May 10, 2014, 11:53 AM

I think it really depends on the person. I see this same question all the time in the sport bike crowed for the R6's and R1's. Best advice: If you have lots of experience in driving other things and are confident and clearly know your limits then go for it. Otherwise get something you don't care about (what I like to call a "Battle Cruiser" ha!)