Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

distribution block setup

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 04:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
distribution block setup

Well while my head was getting built, I figured I'd upgrade my distribution block. I previously did battery relocate, but left all the wiring connected to the oem stock distribution block. It worked, but being held on by zip ties didn't look too swift. I purchased a Stinger distribution block (
http://www.amazon.com/Stinger-Singer-Fused-Distribution-Block/dp/B001IVUACI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1398079168&sr=8-5&keywords=stinger+distribution+block http://www.amazon.com/Stinger-Singer-Fused-Distribution-Block/dp/B001IVUACI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1398079168&sr=8-5&keywords=stinger+distribution+block
in hopes to make it look better. I purchased all fuses and was good to go. To extend the factory wire, I used welding cable. To connect them, I flared out the wire ends, pushed them together, used wire to hold them in place and soldered together. Heat shrunk each and used wire loom to make it look stock. Mounted it on the firewall VIN area, and grounded. With it being down for a few months, I charged the battery. I turn the key on, everything works including headlights, radio, etc. The engine turns but won't start. I pulled off my COP and tested for spark, nothing. I then attempted to test the voltage. I put ground on ground and red on one of the distribution block wire and it shocked the crap out of me leaving a black bur mark where I placed the volt reader end.
In case, I'm ordering a new distribution block in case that one is bad (this one has built in voltage reader).
Does anyone have any other suggestions as to why it won't start? The best way to describe it is almost like how you do a compression test, letting the engine turn over 7 times, then measure. That's the same exact sound I'm getting. I'm also buying new spark plugs since when I did this, my spark plug tips got sprayed in oil.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris, shoot me a text- maybe I can swing by tomorrow and try to lend a hand with my 'electrical' experience. Sounds like there is a short somewhere.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

I just did the same thing with my battery relocation a few months ago. The car fired right up though, even with a battery thats been sitting in the garage for about 5 years lol. I used a different stinger power distribution block though.

Electrical things can be a nightmare on cars man. Hope you get it figured out!

Last edited by tsidrift1; Apr 21, 2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm hoping it's just the block itself. Did you ground your block? I think it's just my car curse, I've never been able to do one thing without something breaking. I was pissed because I was so **** about getting the right length, gauge, etc. to have it do this. Your block location looks better than the way I did it, I have to extend every wire. Yours almost look stock wire length. Might change mine around again and take out the extension wire
Old Apr 24, 2014, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

I didnt extend any wires at all. All stock wiring. How did you mount your distribution block? Maybe if you screwed it down or its mounted on metal, it might be grounding out. Mine is not grounding out.

My setup is basically just replacing the stock distribution block with the aftermarket one and then running the main power wire from the dist. block to the battery in the rear, with a circuit breaker in line as well.