Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The hunt for an Evo begins...advice?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by thechriskarel
Thanks. I may have to end up going with an X, as they are oddly going for the same prices (or cheaper!) as 8s and 9s here.
Why go for something you don't want, if in fact you'd rather have an 8/9? There is a reason the 8/9 commands a premium price..
Old May 1, 2014, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I'd prefer an 8/9, but if I can find a much newer car that has essentially the same drivetrain, I'll get that. I wouldn't mind a warranty either.
Old May 1, 2014, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Warranty isnt gonna happen on used EVO 8,9 10. Mitsu was known for voiding warranties for any reason at all up to and including exhaust, tires wheels and believe it or not windshield wipers. they even voided warranties if you re-cleared the wing.
Old May 1, 2014, 04:12 PM

Here's a great example of the prices being so confusing. Are the 8s and 9s really that much better than the 10s?

Old May 1, 2014, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Usually the first thing I do when I buy a car is change every single fluid on the car, transmission, engine oil with filter, dif, radiator, change all spark plugs, look at all belts and replace any that don't look new, pretty much make the car like new. Take 4 hours on any weekend and you should be able to change everything covered and be able to find any leaks that you may not have found on a test drive.

Reliability depends on maintenance and how hard the car has been beat.
Old May 1, 2014, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
Warranty isnt gonna happen on used EVO 8,9 10. Mitsu was known for voiding warranties for any reason at all up to and including exhaust, tires wheels and believe it or not windshield wipers. they even voided warranties if you re-cleared the wing.
Dang, no wonder they are going (already went?) out of business if that's how they treat their customers.
Old May 1, 2014, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, no reason Evo can't be a daily. There is a guy here with 300k on his and counting. I've been daily driving mine for over 7 years. If it wasn't for my own stupidity in modding and racing it, I honestly think it wouldn't have given me any grief that entire time.

Can't give you too much advice about buying a clean one but if you do, stick to the bolt-ons only plan. My experience down the modding path hasn't been positive overall. They're great cars from the factory. Driving them without worrying about something breaking with every new noise you hear is a big part of what makes them fun. Just my $.02.
Old May 1, 2014, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a great example of the prices being so confusing. Are the 8s and 9s really that much better than the 10s?

Yes.
Old May 1, 2014, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Point proven..
Old May 1, 2014, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by kpt6
Why go for something you don't want, if in fact you'd rather have an 8/9? There is a reason the 8/9 commands a premium price..
YES

YES

Originally Posted by Blitz
Yeah, no reason Evo can't be a daily. There is a guy here with 300k on his and counting. I've been daily driving mine for over 7 years. If it wasn't for my own stupidity in modding and racing it, I honestly think it wouldn't have given me any grief that entire time.

Can't give you too much advice about buying a clean one but if you do, stick to the bolt-ons only plan. My experience down the modding path hasn't been positive overall. They're great cars from the factory. Driving them without worrying about something breaking with every new noise you hear is a big part of what makes them fun. Just my $.02.
Good advice here
Old May 1, 2014, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

To clear up the confusion: 4G63
Old May 13, 2014, 06:30 PM

The 5 speed is generally more reliable than the 6 speed, correct?
Old May 13, 2014, 08:28 PM

If you are looking for a clean 9 that has never been abused and is will maintained HMU! you can ask the evo shops i go to for reassurance. I have basic bolt on mods. But yea you get what you pay for.
Old May 14, 2014, 09:57 AM

my advice to you is look for a clean title evo with the least amount of mods on it as possible. You dont know what the previous owner has done so its better to get it as unmolested as possible. As far as getting a 2008 evo i heard those have issues with there timing chain? but im not 100% sure on that maybe something too look into
Old May 14, 2014, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by LanEvoDreamer
You dont know what the previous owner has done so its better to get it as unmolested as possible.
Lots of people return their evos to "stock" when they sell them. Just because it appears stock, doesn't mean it didnt have a bunch of bolt ons and 30psi on it a week ago.

Either buy a very low mileage evo, or just expect to have to fix some stuff.

Quick Reply: The hunt for an Evo begins...advice?