Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

high end acceleration sucks...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2004, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a boost controller, then a downpipe, ditch the cat, exhaust, a bigger turbo, bigger injectors, AEM EMS, HKS cams, cam gears, etc etc etc and try again.

Or better yet, buy some driving lessons.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 04:54 PM
AcA
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is very possible for an RSX type S to pull on highway. With hondata chip and intake and exaust people are pulling high 13's. This is with 60ft of 2.1 -2.2. One of strongest point in evo is awd but without that in the factor such in a roll rsx will pull on stock evo or even mildly moded.

but that just only in a roll
Old Mar 7, 2004, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Dude, get a boost controller and a flash on top of an exhaust. Stock should have easily pulled the RSX. You got 71 more HP and tons of torque.
He got the jump on you because of your downshift. You sacrificed some time and he got you. You know, all it takes is a hesitation and a slower car can get ahead. At 80, you should have just floored it in 5th.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

The top end accleration IS weak compared to the 0-80, but with a few simple mods can be made to be just as strong. Get an exhaust and tuning. Right now my evo pulls like a freight train all the way to 7800 in 4th gear, and I haven't put on the boost controller and fuel pump, or get retuned.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Once you get to the stage 4 Buschur or the 1+ Vishnu or comparable mods, you will so badly beat an RSX type S you won't even bother playing with them. Then, you wait for the Corvettes, Mustang Cobras, M5s, etc.

Once modded properly, the Evo pulls like a bat out of hell from 80 to 140. Past that, I can't say....

Last edited by Smogrunner; Mar 7, 2004 at 06:02 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

For some reason i don't like the evo on the highway. The Type R felt faster, but then again i'm at 1200 miles and still breaking in.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 06:05 PM
In Timeout

lol, and just when you think the, Mitsu sucks, my clutch sucks, my paint sucks, mitsu is watching you, someone has to start the **** all over again.

Originally posted by Chris in HB
Buddy, I've read 18,000,000 threads about this or that being bad on the Evo. On any given day, the Evo will lose to a number of cars, whether from a poor launch, a missed shift, not enough throttle, etc. etc. The top-end doesn't suck compared to 90% of cars out there. It sucks when you expect the Evo to be a McLaren F1 for $30,000. Not flaming you, but just tired of hearing about every damn thing the Evo supposedly sucks at.

If you want top-end pull for $30,000, buy an S2000. For all-around, I'll keep my Evo. Besides, is beating an RSX on the freeway that important to you? It's more fun letting them try to bait you and then just yawn as you look at them.

BTW - I don't think Evos suck - notice the rolled eyes..

Last edited by sonicevoboom; Mar 7, 2004 at 06:17 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

The top end is weak stock but it comes alive with some work. I'm looking forward to some cams to liven things up
Old Mar 7, 2004, 07:30 PM

EVO Top End Power

It continues to amaze me when I hear the stories of poor top end of an EVO. Stock, the car is the equal of almost anything on the road. Sure you probably can't pull a Z06 or even an older GM 455 Firebird (although the Firebird could not stay with you to 155) but you did not pay $51,000 for the car either. If you let a guy sucker you into a run when you are out of your power band, shame on you. My EVO has the Buscher Stage 2 treatment and I have not found anyone who can significantly pull me at any speed. Obviously, I have to be careful of my RPM's but that is not difficult if you are thinking about it.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 07:54 PM
choad

agin with these top end posts??!

I have YET to have anyone hang with me when I goose it in fourth or am at 80 in fifth..

I don't get it..I think the EVO is fine on the freeway at speed..
Old Mar 7, 2004, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Get an exhuast, intake, downpipe, reflash, and cams and you'll have no problem going 80-100 . But really, was in a highly modded evo and they guy floored it right at 80mph in 5th, the car just zoomed to 100 in what seemed to be less than 4 seconds, not even.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

guess i still need to watch my RPMs in 3rd and 4th gear, I was thinking around 60- 70 maybe 3rd gear would be a better gear to run in. i dont remember off the top of my head where my shift point is but i can do better than 60 in 3rd . but your right if your talking about 80+ that would be 4th gear, but mine pulls hard better than any RSX i came across,
Old Mar 7, 2004, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

S2000 is not a good Top End car. i have one and the EVO stock is better top end IMO

Originally posted by Chris in HB
Buddy, I've read 18,000,000 threads about this or that being bad on the Evo. On any given day, the Evo will lose to a number of cars, whether from a poor launch, a missed shift, not enough throttle, etc. etc. The top-end doesn't suck compared to 90% of cars out there. It sucks when you expect the Evo to be a McLaren F1 for $30,000. Not flaming you, but just tired of hearing about every damn thing the Evo supposedly sucks at.

If you want top-end pull for $30,000, buy an S2000. For all-around, I'll keep my Evo. Besides, is beating an RSX on the freeway that important to you? It's more fun letting them try to bait you and then just yawn as you look at them.

BTW - I don't think Evos suck - notice the rolled eyes..

Last edited by EVO8 WHOA; Mar 7, 2004 at 08:23 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by EVO8 WHOA
S2000 is not a good Top End car. i have one and the EVO stock is better top end IMO
The crack pipe has gone full circle now... The S2000 is all about top-end... I give up!
Old Mar 7, 2004, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

so yah... i realized he pulled on me bc i hesitated too much. When he pulled next to me i was contimplating whether or not to show up the guy. So all the hesitation just set me back. ITS NOT MY DRIVING.. im a super dooper driver =)

YOU GUYS THINK CAMS will VOID WARRANTY?!

Quick Reply: high end acceleration sucks...