Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Epic "build"

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2014, 08:23 AM
Account Disabled

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Epic "build"

Random but funny question, has anyone ever seen a motor built with 2 different kinds of pistons ? apperently the shop my friend had his evo built used 2 different kinds of pistons. Also said shop forgot to tighten 1 of the connecting rod bolts on cylinder #3 and deleted the oil squirters along with not properly tightening the clutch assembly down, also found no fluid in the built transfer case. While driving to work he ended up getting rod knock and towed to my shop for a tear down.

When i get home ill have to post some of the pictures he sent me so i can add them to photobucket then post them here, but curious to know if anyone else has heard of this before. Me personally i thought it was funny that such a "reputable shop" would do such crappy work.
Old May 5, 2014, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by illusin
Random but funny question, has anyone ever seen a motor built with 2 different kinds of pistons ? apperently the shop my friend had his evo built used 2 different kinds of pistons. Also said shop forgot to tighten 1 of the connecting rod bolts on cylinder #3 and deleted the oil squirters along with not properly tightening the clutch assembly down, also found no fluid in the built transfer case. While driving to work he ended up getting rod knock and towed to my shop for a tear down.

When i get home ill have to post some of the pictures he sent me so i can add them to photobucket then post them here, but curious to know if anyone else has heard of this before. Me personally i thought it was funny that such a "reputable shop" would do such crappy work.
lololol... i can't wait to hear more about this and where it escelates to
Old May 5, 2014, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well at least you seem to be in good humor about this 'build' experience. I'm sure the owner is NOT!

I personally have not heard of using two different kinds of pistons and would bet it is NOT recommended BUT I have no experience building any motors so I'm clueless in this dept......I'll let someone else chime in about that BUT if it were me, I would have gotten a 2nd opinion on that before letting them proceed with this 'build'. They probably never told him...what it sounds like.

This sucks and sounds like they had some schmuck put it back together without double checking anything before considering it JOB DONE. Sorry to hear this happened to your friend and I hope the damage is minimal!!

Looking forward to the outcome of all this....

Last edited by SilverShadow03; May 5, 2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old May 5, 2014, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
lol, how is the car owner taking it or did you tell him yet?
Old May 5, 2014, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who built it?
Old May 5, 2014, 06:35 PM

deleting the oil squirters is a guaranteed death sentence. either that or the galling because they probably had the wrong ring sets as well. hope to see some pics though
Old May 5, 2014, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NightHawk
deleting the oil squirters is a guaranteed death sentence.
wrong!...alot/most of the 2.4's and 2.1's dont have squirters as the 4g64 block isnt machined for them from the factory...
Old May 5, 2014, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Deleted squirters was the only portion of the "build" that seemed ok. No squirters does not mean death. Do your homework... plent of people run just fine without them. Actually curt brown recommended i remove them when i did my build and my motor is just fine.
Old May 5, 2014, 10:51 PM
Account Disabled

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im not going to mention shop names cause im not one to put anyone on blast but lets just say that im taking it in stride. Luckily my mechanic has a brand new unmolested block so can start ordering parts and putting it together. Im waiting on the pistons to get back from the machine shop so i can grab a picture. As to the two seperate types of pistons he was told they were 1 thing and they are actually 2 different from what he was told.

Last edited by illusin; May 5, 2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old May 5, 2014, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Damn
Old May 23, 2014, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heat treatment option?

Good luck on the rebuild!
Old May 24, 2014, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
good lord how long did he drive it with it knocking?!?!? Thats the worst I've seen yet...
Old May 24, 2014, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ExViTermini
good lord how long did he drive it with it knocking?!?!? Thats the worst I've seen yet...
You haven't seen much then
Attached Thumbnails Epic "build"-lunchedbearings.jpg  
Old May 24, 2014, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by superbovine
You haven't seen much then
LOL SMH
Old May 24, 2014, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The last one I took apart beat and banged enough that the entire bearing was gone, the circlip came out of the piston and the wrist pin was digging into the cylinder wall.

And it still wasn't as black as that lol

Quick Reply: Epic "build"