Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo 8 crank but no start. help!

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2014, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo 8 crank but no start. help!

03 evo 8 cranks but wont start.

from the begining, the car would only start if i jump started it or push started it for the past 6 months or so.
new battery, new alternator, new starter and even added ground cables on the engine and chassis.

car has a few minor mods, 3" downpipe, test pipe to 3" muffler. aem wideband, manual boost controller and boost gauge.
car ran fine, it is my DD.

a few days after installing my downpipe i found out i had a small leak between the downpipe and test pipe inbetween the gasket so i bought some exhaust sealant compound and rubbed that inbetween the gaskets. all of a sudden the car won't start. exhaust compound cant be the problem cause i took it all off and it still wont start.
since then i replaced the camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor and spark plugs.

it cranks but wont completly turn over.
any help would be greatly apreciated becuase the search button keeps leading me to srt forums and mustang forums. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/images/smilies/spit.gif
Old May 12, 2014, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

I hate to ask but did you check the fuse box under the hood?

My buddy had the same issue and asked for help after replacing basically all the things you just named.

After I replaced that fuse it started fine.
Old May 12, 2014, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

You need to run some diagnostic test. Since i am assuming you have cranked it a bunch and it did not start have you since pulled the plugs to make sure there is gas on all of them. These cars are a pain to hook up a fuel pressure gauge so this is just a quicker way to see that you are getting some fuel. While you have the plug boots out check for spark. You may want to pull back your timing belt cover to be sure your belt didn't break if it has been a long time since your last timing belt change. Compression test and leak down test after all the easy stuff. All you need for a internal combustion gas engine to run is air, fuel, spark, and compression all at the correct time. One of those is your weak link.
Old May 12, 2014, 03:29 PM

fuses are good, have spark, and it seems to be getting fuel cause the spark plugs get wet after i tried to start it.
something i should've added that i think can also be the problem, it has a viper alarm.
Old May 12, 2014, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check the coil pack and replace if necessary.
The following users liked this post:
Evil Evolution (May 3, 2020)
Old May 12, 2014, 05:50 PM

what i mean by it might be the alarm is because it has a remote start on it. so they had to tap into the ignition harness and bypass the clutch switch. also they fitted 1 factory key somewhere into the car so it could remote start. only problem is, i cant get it running to take it back into where i had the shop install my alarm. im in sacramento, Ca. and the alarm was installed in san francisco. i called the guy and he said he'd check it out no cost since he was the one that installed it.
Old May 12, 2014, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do a fuel pressure test. Report back as to what you are getting for pressure on the gauge.
Old May 15, 2014, 05:19 PM

fuel pressure is about 38-39. i had my brother-in-law come and give me a hand with it and now there is no spark. we did the same test as before, basically hooked up a spark plug into the factory boot and set it on the manifold. 2 days ago it sparked, then yesterday it didn't. made me look real dumb.
any suggestions for a local and quick replacement for coils? the car does have 130000 miles on it. i just can't wait for shipping, i need them NOW!
Old May 15, 2014, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know of anyone that has these coils on hand. not even the dealers. better just plan to have the car down and order some if the dealer or local spots don't have them. for the price, you can consider the spoolin up or sparktech pieces. i'm probably going that route soon. and you did check both fuseboxes? the one inside has some fuses that will also kill the spark.
Old May 23, 2014, 05:33 PM

sorry for just dissapearing on you guys. i ordered an cop kit off of ebay for $280. waiting for them to come in, and install them. what i am worried about is what if the still doesn't start? all the fuses are good. i don't know anybody here that has an 03 evo 8 that i can swap the ecu with. so any other suggestions?
Old May 29, 2014, 07:32 AM

alright got some updates but still no start. car had no spark, i disabled the immobilizer and still no spark. then after a few hours my buddy came by and took a look. guess what? the car all of a sudden got some spark. now im back down to chasing wires.
Old May 30, 2014, 02:41 PM

after taking everything back off and rechecking my sensors, i found that at tdc my cam sprokets are off a little. at that same tdc i cant really see my crank sprocket tdc marks but i can see that the oil pump sprocket is also not at the tdc marks.
now ever since ive had the car ive never changed any of that. is it possible that belts can jump after a while?
any way ill be replacing them.
Old May 30, 2014, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

You need to meter and see if you have power, ground and the signal at the coil packs.
Old May 30, 2014, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ x2

Originally Posted by leemaster
Check the coil pack and replace if necessary.
x3

No spark but the car still cranks? Again, check the coil pack.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:11 PM

i just got in new cop yesterday, was a cop from ebay for 285. called xfire. the coil plugs are toyota plugs. even with those im getting no spark.
i got to tell yall that i am no car guru. i do know a street mechanic(bro n law), certified mechanic(friend) and mechanic in training (via UTI bro n law). and all 3 of them are at a lose unless they spend massive amounts of time on my car. i dont expect them to be here 24/7 so no worries about that.
and they all tell me not to send the car to a shop unless i want to spend a lot of money for unnecessary expenseses.

Quick Reply: evo 8 crank but no start. help!