Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Engine help, please!

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2014, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it does say why. Do you prime your car everytime before you start it to drive it? No. If you primed it by the time you have everything installed, its all drained back into the pan. As soon as the motor is turned over and it fires right up, bam you should have oil pressure so look at your gauge, if you don't, SHUT IT DOWN. There is a reason for assembly lube.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by galantman03
it does say why. Do you prime your car everytime before you start it to drive it? No. If you primed it by the time you have everything installed, its all drained back into the pan. As soon as the motor is turned over and it fires right up, bam you should have oil pressure so look at your gauge, if you don't, SHUT IT DOWN. There is a reason for assembly lube.
some of it does drain down but a lot of it will stay in the galleys, in the lifters, and everywhere else. of course assembly lube is there to protect you, but it doesnt last forever, whats the harm of priming the engine reassuring yourself that oil is getting everywhere? please find me the thread where they discuss it, i would like to read it. i would like to know why priming the engine is frowned upon.
Old May 15, 2014, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kliped
some of it does drain down but a lot of it will stay in the galleys, in the lifters, and everywhere else. of course assembly lube is there to protect you, but it doesnt last forever, whats the harm of priming the engine reassuring yourself that oil is getting everywhere? please find me the thread where they discuss it, i would like to read it. i would like to know why priming the engine is frowned upon.
Priming the engine is not frowned upon. Using a drill on the oil pump gear is the best way to prime the motor. Cranking will not spin as fast which will hardly move any oil. I have a built motor in front of my car right now that has been sitting for a few months. I will be using my drill to prime the system before the motor even goes into the car.

Originally Posted by kliped
would you take the risk of your turbo spinning at 10-20k rpms with out any oil?
Overfilling before first start along with priming the motor as well as an FP oil feed line and a bb turbo... I'll be ok.

If the OP did cavitate the oil in the pan then it sounds like more oil needed to be in the pan before startup.
Old May 19, 2014, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you everyone

hello again sorry been working on the evo and getting it started. I prime the oil pump with the drill everything works good now. the only thing that I had to get is a new oil pressure gauge. the car started and is running beautiful I love this page and thanks everyone for their feedback. I will be needing a tuner for the evo and im on stock ecu if anyone knows any shop in the tampa/miami area I really appreciate it. thanks again