Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evolution VI Build - Advise Please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evolution VI Build - Advise Please!!!!

Hi All,

I just purchased myself an Evo 6 and am looking to spend a some money on it to get the power on it. Below are the mods I was looking at.

Full Race Manifold + Borg Warner EFR 7064
Supertech Valve Train
HKS 274/278 Cams
HKS Cam Gears
Walbro Fuel Pump 450L E85
Injector Dynamics 1300cc
Aftermarket ECU - not sure which one yet.

Now, the problem I am having is that I am not sure if the car is going to handle the power. What are everyone's thoughts?

I have done a lot of reading regarding the Evo 6 motors and some say they have weaker rods. From everything I am reading this seems to be true, is anyone able to confirm this and maybe if anyone else has had an evo 6 how much power they were pushing with their standard bottom end?

I also read that the EVO 7 has weak rods too but in my last evo 7 I was pushing 340WHP with a standard block without any problems. Do the 6 and 7's share the same rods?

Have also been speaking with a friend that had an evo 6 for track and he said that the diffs and drive train didnt hold up. Has anyone had any issues with their diffs, transfer cases, gearbox? etc...

any help would be appreciated.

Application of the car will be used mainly for the street and some track work.

thanks in advance for any help!
Ps. I tried to search for what I was after but wasn't able to pinpoint what i needed to know.
Old May 12, 2014, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 137 Likes on 125 Posts
Does it have any mods to start with?
If not, do the bolt-on stuff to help the engine breathe easier.
If that stuff is already done you'll need to read read read read to figure out what will work well with the parts already installed.
Plus a tune.
Old May 12, 2014, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Forged pistons and rods are definitely worth doing if you are going for more than 400whp. Its worth it for peace of mind.

You have some top shelf items on that list, but depending on your goals and end use, you might be able to spend your tuning dollars a bit better.

How do you intend to use the car? What are your power goals?

Also, what model VI is it? The GSR AYC will give you fits if you run big power. Might want to consider removing the AYC unit and swapping to the RS mechanical rear diff.

Last edited by nemsin; May 12, 2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old May 13, 2014, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by osetsky
Does it have any mods to start with?
If not, do the bolt-on stuff to help the engine breathe easier.
If that stuff is already done you'll need to read read read read to figure out what will work well with the parts already installed.
Plus a tune.
it's only got very minor modifications from the guy I bought the car off.
Currently has Coilovers, Air Intake Filter and a replacement BOV.
Apart from that the car is completely stock.

Originally Posted by nemsin
Forged pistons and rods are definitely worth doing if you are going for more than 400whp. Its worth it for peace of mind.

You have some top shelf items on that list, but depending on your goals and end use, you might be able to spend your tuning dollars a bit better.

How do you intend to use the car? What are your power goals?

Also, what model VI is it? The GSR AYC will give you fits if you run big power. Might want to consider removing the AYC unit and swapping to the RS mechanical rear diff.
I was thinking the same thing regarding the pistons and rods.
My ultimate goal is roughly around 360-400WHP for the street and track but want the car to be as responsive as it can possibly be so was looking at the Borg Warner EFR Turbos.

It is the GSR AYC and I know the stupid thing will give me problems in the long run. Only problem is trying to find an RS mechanical rear diff in Australia is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.
Old May 14, 2014, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Stradic
My ultimate goal is roughly around 360-400WHP for the street and track but want the car to be as responsive as it can possibly be so was looking at the Borg Warner EFR Turbos.

It is the GSR AYC and I know the stupid thing will give me problems in the long run. Only problem is trying to find an RS mechanical rear diff in Australia is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.
The EFR turbos are great, but they require a lot (i.e., manifold, piping, etc.) to make them fit in the evo. Thus, kits like the one Full Race offers are very expensive.

The 6 AYC should be fine at 400WHP, but if/when it goes, consider swapping to an RS rear diff. There are even some kits available that allow you to use a rear diff from a 7/8/9 if finding a 6 RS diff is difficult.

360-400whp is doable with bolt-ons, cams (like GSC S2s), and a good tune. Maybe pick up an evo 9 turbo (they are pretty cheap used). I would still recommend forged pistons and rods.

If you are going to track the car you really want to consider reliability mods like a kiggly HLA & AMS oil pan, or a dry sump kit if you can afford it. Oil starvation is what kills motors and turbos.

Last edited by nemsin; May 14, 2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old May 15, 2014, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would certainly upgrade the rear diff first thing as those AYC diffs are glass. You can buy a USDM Evo 8/9 rear diff and axles and they'll bolt right in and since you have an Evo 6; it'll be the right gear ratio out of the box! That's what I'm using in my 4. If you're going to build the bottom end anyway; you may as well go 2.3 stroker! Also, I wouldn't bother with a standalone ECU. Tuning the stock ECU is the best way to go in my opinion as you keep drivability and it'll save you a ton of money.

Last edited by Alchem1st; May 15, 2014 at 08:52 AM.