Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

how much to pay for cam install and head studs?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how much to pay for cam install and head studs?

I just got my FP black turbo.
Before I install it I want to put in cosworth 272 cams and ARP headstuds. I have other bolt-ons already installed.

How much should my cost be to get this work done?
How much should the cost be if the headgasket needs to be replaced?

Some shops are trying to charge me a crazy prices. I've done some research on here but its hard to find how much everyone paid. Some stuff that I did find is very old but it was 300 bucks. What I get quoted is like 3x that.

I just want to know what you guys paid or if you done it all yourselves.
Old May 12, 2014, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were just in NY bro.
Old May 12, 2014, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd say expect to pay $400-$500 for cam install, depending on the shop they may want to remove the head for head stud install so expect to pay more. Obviously the head has to come off if you need a head gasket, that would probably be another $200-$300 I'd guess.
Old May 12, 2014, 07:38 PM

The places Ive seen her in the midwest is about $100 for stud install and around $350 or so for cams-if they are just doing the camshafts without the belt, tensioner, or bearings. The studs would probably be the easiest, there is a write up on doing the 1x1 method. There is also a write up on the camshafts, but its more work.
Old May 12, 2014, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SW20Mike
I'd say expect to pay $400-$500 for cam install, depending on the shop they may want to remove the head for head stud install so expect to pay more. Obviously the head has to come off if you need a head gasket, that would probably be another $200-$300 I'd guess.

Well I don't know if the headgasket needs to be changed, I just called around and everybody wants to change it, im not sure if they just wanna make more money or just so they know its done right they want to change the headgasket. All I need is cams put in and new headstuds since ill be running around 27psi.
The quote I got from one shop they will replace cams and headstuds, gasket, put their oil in and tune for almost a grand. then I would have to put my turbo in and take it to get it tuned which will cost another $600
Old May 12, 2014, 07:51 PM

Im actually in the same boat as you. However, since the shop Im going to is about 12 hours away, Im installing the studs and turbo myself. Ill just have the shop do the camshafts since it would be a very long way to drive untuned. What fuel system are you running by the way? Im also doing fp black,kelfords, and e85.
Old May 12, 2014, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SL0\/\/*B0Y
Im actually in the same boat as you. However, since the shop Im going to is about 12 hours away, Im installing the studs and turbo myself. Ill just have the shop do the camshafts since it would be a very long way to drive untuned. What fuel system are you running by the way? Im also doing fp black,kelfords, and e85.

I want to get my evo tuned at TSM in Atlanta. To do E85 they said the pump has to be hardwired directly, they said fuel rail needs to be upgraded, injenctors...So ill probably just stick with 93 but will upgrade to walbro 255 and 1200 or 1250cc inejctors anyway.
Only reason im doing cosworth is because it uses stock valvetrain.
I will be installing turbo myself too. im just not sure about cams and headstuds. If I have to pay a grand then I will find a way to do it myself. LOL
Im just trying to decide on which o2 housing to get...well and I still need injectors, pump and MBC.
Old May 12, 2014, 08:21 PM

For the o2 housing, if you dont mind the noise get the vrsf muse o2 dump. If you mind noise then get a recirculated one. Im going e85 with 1250cc and a buschur double pumper. For boost control, Im going to try the hybrid with the grimspeed and the hallman. Im also going speed density for drivability with kelfords and a tial bov.

Last edited by SL0\/\/*B0Y; May 12, 2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: grammar
Old May 12, 2014, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SL0\/\/*B0Y
For the o2 housing, if you dont mind the noise get the vrsf muse o2 dump. If you mind noise then get a recirculated one. Im going e85 with 1250cc and a buschur double pumper. For boost control, Im going to try the hybrid with the grimspeed and the hallman. Im also going speed density for drivability with kelfords and a tial bov.

im undecided on the boost controller and the o2 housing. o2 dump is probably gonna be too loud for my liking. I just got a synapse recirculated bov and its so much better than stock evo 9 bov. Im so glad I pulled the trigger and bought the new bov.
Old May 12, 2014, 08:47 PM

The o2 dump is only loud when you get on it. This is with a stock turbo, so Ill probably never hear it daily driving with an fp black. Just get an aftermarket o2 housing and you will be set. Synapse does make pretty good stuff. For boost control, if you want effective and simple, the hallman pro is great.
Old May 12, 2014, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did the cams/headgasket/arp headstuds and new belts/pullies and tensioner myself. I did not do the 1 x 1 method nor doni suggest it. This is all fairly easy. If the shop you're going to take it to does the cams/head gasket and arp head studs without the 1 x 1 method at 80hr(avg cost per hr). This is between a 8-10hr job. So 640-800 is not out of the question. If you lived near me I would do it for free. Or maybe beer lol
Old May 13, 2014, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i would expect to pay around 500 for cam install and headstuds.

nothing lower tho, also its very SMART to go get it done at an evo specific shop. you can search around and see what happens when people take it to non evo shops, be it to save money, or non close by.

350 seems to be the average range for cam install.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Black_EVO_MR
I want to get my evo tuned at TSM in Atlanta. To do E85 they said the pump has to be hardwired directly, they said fuel rail needs to be upgraded, injenctors...So ill probably just stick with 93 but will upgrade to walbro 255 and 1200 or 1250cc inejctors anyway.
Only reason im doing cosworth is because it uses stock valvetrain.
I will be installing turbo myself too. im just not sure about cams and headstuds. If I have to pay a grand then I will find a way to do it myself. LOL
Im just trying to decide on which o2 housing to get...well and I still need injectors, pump and MBC.
Good luck on the install and tune
Old May 13, 2014, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lostsoulsevo
I did the cams/headgasket/arp headstuds and new belts/pullies and tensioner myself. I did not do the 1 x 1 method nor doni suggest it. This is all fairly easy. If the shop you're going to take it to does the cams/head gasket and arp head studs without the 1 x 1 method at 80hr(avg cost per hr). This is between a 8-10hr job. So 640-800 is not out of the question. If you lived near me I would do it for free. Or maybe beer lol

I wish I lived close by. LOL